HELP - 2 yr old preschool?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by nicolepag, Apr 3, 2008.

1. nicolepag

nicolepag Well-Known Member

We are in the process of researching a two-year old preschool. I always said I would never send them to 2yr preschool but for the past few months I just feel that need a little more than just my ugly mug all day. And I cannot find any other programs around the area that doesn't require a 1:1 ratio between parent/child and I don't have help. Plus, my kids need to learn to move away from Mommy when we do go out. Plus, I think this will help with their speech (we are finally starting speech therapy, 1 hour a week for each of the kids and me and my DH firmly believe in 3-4 months that this will just be the little push they need and hopefully we can stop).

Well, because I waited to long to start this process, many of the schools are closed for enrollment because they are full. I do have a few options. I have school (church) that I really like so far. They believe a kid should still be a kid and needs a lot of attention. Some others it's a little too crazy and intense for a 2 yr old. The issue is that they only have MWF 930-1230 available. I am just not really sure if the kids are ready/SHOULD be going for 3 days a week. Plus, IF we need to continue therapy Tu/We into the school year, they'll be late to the program on Wednesday. I am on waiting list for Tu/Th but the chance of TWO spots opening are slim to null.

We have to make a decision by Monday AM because our spots will no longer be held.

Does anyone send their 2 yr old to preschool? If so, for how long? Pluses? Minuses? Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated. Having a tough one with this as it's a big decision.

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I didn't send my girls to preschool at age 2. I did my gym since they only need me (there are usually 3 teachers in the class) and music together. Both of which were fine iwth just me.
    I know a lot of people who enrolled their 2 years in peschool. In fact i have a neighbor who enrolled her oldes in preschool at age 2 for 2 days a week. When it was time form her son to go she did a 3 day a week program since she felt the going every other day is a better routine then twice a week.
    Can you switch speech around if you send them 3 days a week?

3. frickandfrack

frickandfrack Well-Known Member

Mine 2's go to preschool 2 days/week from 9:30 - 2:30. I was a bit worried about the length of the day, but we loved the school and it has been wonderful for both of them. My kids also have June b-days and they are definitely some of the youngest in the class. For my kids, I think 3 days would have been too much, but I know lots of kids that go 3-5 days/week. I think the most important thing is to find a program that you are happy with -- the kids will adjust. Lots of "developmental" positives including speech and socialization -- can't think of any negs.

4. nicolepag

I cannot switch speech. We have waited 2 + months for a therapist to open up and it's take what you can get. So.... my belief is that after a few months, they won't need it anymore but we'll see. Worse case, they'll be a little late (or at least one of them) on Wednesday's. See I do know some that only go two days a week but for longer periods 4-5 hours so that's why I wonder if 3 hours a day / 3x a week isn't bad. Of course I am having separation issues too ;) Just so confused! :)

5. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My boys' birthday is two days and a few years before yours. At 2, we did music classes and gymboree--then later in the year, switched the music for gymnastics for one, and swim for the other. That was plenty. Personally, I would skip the preschool at 2, and look for playgroups, library time, and other classes. The music allowed me to take both kids, and for Gymboree we signed up for the pairs class, which is one parent, 2 kids. There are plenty of informal ways to get interaction at 2, they will be in school for a long time, there is no need to start now--unless you need to because you need the childcare aspect of it.

6. ruthjulia

ruthjulia Well-Known Member

mine started 2 days a week in the fall (they were 2 last august). i was a tough adjustment for them, but now they love it. i think they would do well with 3 days a week now, but wouldn't have been in the beginning. maybe you can sign them up for m, w, f but not send them on wed if they have speech? the program has been really good for my kids - i see them becoming much more social and comfortable in new situations/ around new people which they weren't at all before. before this year, we just did play dates and story time at the library - both of which were/ are great, but for my kids they needed to learn to be in a group without mama, dada or our nanny. they really needed that push to independence. that said, i think they would have been fine had they not gotten the push until 3, they just would have matured a little slower.

7. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

They are not in preschool at 2, but I did start them in daycare 3 days a week right before they turned 2. Mostly for the socialization, prior to that they were home with the nanny 5 days a week while I worked from home. And they really, really love it, I'm so glad I sent them.

At age 2.5 and potty trained (obviously later if they are not yet PT) they can move into the preschool room where there is a preschool curriculum and it is much cheaper.

Maybe you could look at something like this? Their daycare has toddler lesson plans, they do an art project each day, and there is structure in their day. And after an initial resurgence of stranger anxiety when they started, they've now adjusted beautifully and they just really love going to "school" as we call it.

8. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

Mine will be 2 when they start next Fall- but will turn 3 a few months later.

There are not many places around here that do 'preschool' for 2s (versus daycare) and/or have 2 day a week option. So we are going through the local school districts program (runs Sept-June) and they will be 2 but in the 3yr old room (since they turn 3 before Dec 1st).

KC

9. leticiasnow

leticiasnow Well-Known Member

I wish I had one near me. The twins can't go to any of the preschools until fall 09 because they have a rule that you have to be three by that fall. Bummer.

anyhow, we do ECFE-- early childhood and family education classes here. They only once a week, but the kids love it. We also have nursery at church-- 18m to 3 years old, and that is a few hours on Sunday, so luckily they get something.

10. Snittens

Snittens Well-Known Member

Mine started preschool in Sept, just after they turned two. They are the youngest in the class (2-3 yr old class), and sometimes it shows. I think it really has helped them learn new things and be a bit more outgoing. They really enjoy going. It's only a two hour, twice a week program. FWIW, I am having them stay in the same class for next year instead of moving up.

11. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

Honestly I wouldn't. Way too young.

We always do parent & child things at that age. Yes, there were a few things I couldn't do with the twins alone but not too many.

12. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

There are not many places around here that do preschool for 2 year olds. But I, personally, would not send any of my children to preschool at age 2. I just feel it's too young. We do My Gym classes and we are starting a funfit class on Monday.

13. nicolepag

I did go to a "preschool" and did find it a little intense. The program we are most interested in is a MOMS Day Out program so more of a social time.

14. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

Hi Nicole,

My twins are 18 mos and they'll be 2 after Sept. 1st cut-off date for preschool. There is only one place that has no potty trained but it is a bit further for a drive for me even it is only 1 day a week. I personally think they're a bit too young to start preschool. They participate with "My Gym", Mommy & Me, and tons of activities through their play group. I will be looking up for park district but it depends as my twins are running off in separate direction if the activities are "wide open" area. That the hardest part I am dealing with right now.

I think ultimately it is a decision that work for your family. Good luck!

Let us know what you have decide to do.
    D, w/Rianna and Justin