help! 2 yr olds

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by mom2isabella&natalya, Nov 25, 2006.

1. mom2isabella&natalya

mom2isabella&natalya Active Member

so yesterday im at my sisters and she puts her 18 month old down for a nap and im trying to keep my girls quiet. they get tired and start fighting over toys, i decide its nap time. so i try to lay them down and Natalya wasnt having anything to do with that and starts screaming. to the point that i could not get her to stop! so after trying and trying to talk to her and get her to calm down i picked them both up to march out the door and go home.. Natalya trys to grab some toys on the way out, which i wouldnt let her take, and she starts screaming harder. so i get them in the car only to have them scream 15 minutes straight while i was stuck in traffic. (needless to say i bawled right along with them..) so we get home they are sleeping and everythings fine! my question is.. why, instead of feeling relieved, i feel frusterated afterwards at the fact that they do that kind of stuff and then go on their merry way and forget about it. what do you do to teach them its not acceptable? or is it just the age and i cant really change it? do i just let it go and be happy its over with? is this even something i get after them for?? i was a bit embarrased that i couldnt control my own kids. its a hard age because they understand a lot but theres still quite a bit they dont understand. help! im really confused and frusterated.

2. mom2isabella&natalya

so yesterday im at my sisters and she puts her 18 month old down for a nap and im trying to keep my girls quiet. they get tired and start fighting over toys, i decide its nap time. so i try to lay them down and Natalya wasnt having anything to do with that and starts screaming. to the point that i could not get her to stop! so after trying and trying to talk to her and get her to calm down i picked them both up to march out the door and go home.. Natalya trys to grab some toys on the way out, which i wouldnt let her take, and she starts screaming harder. so i get them in the car only to have them scream 15 minutes straight while i was stuck in traffic. (needless to say i bawled right along with them..) so we get home they are sleeping and everythings fine! my question is.. why, instead of feeling relieved, i feel frusterated afterwards at the fact that they do that kind of stuff and then go on their merry way and forget about it. what do you do to teach them its not acceptable? or is it just the age and i cant really change it? do i just let it go and be happy its over with? is this even something i get after them for?? i was a bit embarrased that i couldnt control my own kids. its a hard age because they understand a lot but theres still quite a bit they dont understand. help! im really confused and frusterated.

3. mom2isabella&natalya

oops! i forgot to say their 27 months..

4. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

it's their age, there's no remorse or memory of fits at this age.
    best thing to do is prevent it by not letting them get overtired which sounds like what happened.

5. mesamama

mesamama Well-Known Member

quote:
    instead of feeling relieved, i feel frusterated afterwards at the fact that they do that kind of stuff and then go on their merry way and forget about it. what do you do to teach them its not acceptable? or is it just the age and i cant really change it? do i just let it go and be happy its over with? is this even something i get after them for?? i was a bit

I would say that it is the age-you can't teach them that this behavior is not acceptable because they are just tired and this is the way they express it. You let is go and be happy it is over. I know it is hard to be thought of as someone who can't control your kids, but I think it's a very common experience.

6. mom2isabella&natalya

i know.. it just gets hard sometimes! thank you ladies! i'll get through this! sometimes it feels better just to get it out and tell people you know?

7. Amanda

Amanda Well-Known Member

absolutely! And isn't it a little weird, but completely comforting knowing most of us are all dealing w/ it too!? Like, somehow, it's nice to know everyone else doesn't have perfect children that just never get tired or overstimulated!?

8. thompsontwinners

thompsontwinners Well-Known Member

I simply tell them that this behavior is not acceptable and I am not happy with it. I do show them that they need to use polite voices,etc. I verbalize it to them even though they probably don't get it, but they are hearing it and I am consistent when their behavior is inappropriate.
    There is really nothing you can do about being overtired. That is the way they act. You should feel good that they went home and slept-yeah!
    I have the problem that if one of them acts up, the other one usually acts up too. So I think we are also dealing with that and neediness. Hang in there, we all have days like this!

9. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

all I can say is "NORMAL" but doesn't make it any easier for you though!!