HELP 8 month old twins who are crying CONSTANTLY

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Erica92, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Erica92

Erica92 Well-Known Member

About a week ago I feel like all HeL L broke loose around here my generally well behaved babies have become little monsters who want to be held ALL The time and scream constantly. They scream in the car, while playing, in the stroller etc...

DS is VERY close to crawling (he can get up on all 4's and rocks and can move on hand or the other but can't move his legs yet or any of his limbs in unison) and DD seems no where near crawling and wants to stand but of course can't unless someone is holding onto her. She has always needed to be interacted with pretty much constantly and is not very good about playing by herself (prob my fault for always playing with her to avoid tears).

We tend to take a two hour morning nap from 9-11 and a 1.5 hour afternoon nap from 1:30-3 but they ALWAYS wake up from the afternoon nap cranky and are cranky and what DH and I call "on the edge" till bedtime. I would love to find a way to get them to sleep longer int he afternoon b/c I think their edgyness is really tiredness.

But now they're "edgy" ALL the time and Im loosing my mind.

They have been STTN for months but Last night DS woke up at 10:30 and cried until 2am (I went in 3 times and he just wanted to be held) then DD woke up at 4:15 and had soaked thru her diaper and so I changed her diaper and pj's and sheets, hugged her for a few minutes and put her down and she susequently cried until 6am when I went and got her for the day.

I guess it could be teeth (DS has one tooth and DD has none)

Anyway I don't know what the point to all this was other than I was wondering if
    a) other people have experienced this around this age
    B) any suggestions on what I can do
    c) any insight of if and when it will end......

thanks and sorry for the rambling post but I started the day in tears (generally not a good omen for the day) they're now down for naps SUPER early b/c of the diasstrous night and I figure I'll do 3 naps today even tho I know they're too old for 3 naps but desperate times call for desperate measures.

2. idtwinstx

idtwinstx Well-Known Member

I am right there with you. My twins are 8 months old as well and they have been sooooo fussy lately. They also want to be held all the time and the slightest thing sends them into a tailspin! It is driving me nuts as well, but unfortunately I have no suggestions just :love0028:

3. serranoboys

serranoboys Well-Known Member

First off, sorry you're having such a hard time :hug99: and YES I remember going through the same thing. Mine were a bit older than yours when they began attempting to crawl and pull up but I'm pretty sure it's more an issue of what they're dealing with developmentally than actual age. I can't say when it ends because we're actually still in it! Sorry! Braxton just got over the crawling hump and was just the world's happiest baby but now he wants to stand ALL day and talk and can't do either on his own. So what does he do...cry and crawl into my lap every 10 minutes :icon_eek: . I would say just hang in there until they learn to somewhat perfect one of those skills they're trying to learn and things will get much better...until the next skill :winking0009:

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

:hug99: Are they teething? Sick? Are they eating well?

It sounds like you are in a vicious cycle right now because they aren't getting the sleep they so desperately need. Is there anyway you can extend that afternoon nap? Will they nap in the stroller? You could take them for a super long walk and see if that helps.

If this behavior is very different from the norm, I would call the pedi (but I'm a crazy first-time mom who probably calls the pedi more than necessary). Perhaps s/he can give you some insight into what is going on and advice on how to make it better. GL and hang in there. And here is another :hug99:

5. xavier2001

xavier2001 Well-Known Member

It must be an 8 month old thing, b/c I'm battling it with DS, I thought it was teething, but nothing new is popping through (he has 5 already). DD seems fine and the more I am thinking about it, the more I'm thinking it's a mobility/frustration thing. DD is mobile and happy as a clam to flit around the living room playing while DS (who is nowhere near being mobile) gets frustrated when something is out of his reach and gets bored staying in one spot. I've been working alot with him in the all fours position thinking if he can get mobile he'll be happier.

Hopefully this is a short lived phase for all of us!

6. leilaf

leilaf Member

It does sound like they could be teething. Have you tried giving them infant Tylenol?? There are also some homeopathic teething tablets that worked well when my 6 year old was a baby (started with a H I believe). I have tried Orajel in the past & had mixed results.

For the soaking through the diaper if you have an Albertson's close to you I would recommend you try their store brand diapers & they also have an extra insert you can put in the diaper too (I'm assuming they still sell these, it's been 5 years since I bought them).

Another thought is they could have ear infections. They won't necessarily have a fever.

7. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm going to second the possibility of teething and tylenol for it.

8. MARYLANE

MARYLANE Well-Known Member

I don't really have many suggestions, but indeed teething could be the reason. This seems so hard! hang in there :hug99: I hope it gets better

9. bryean

bryean Member

Sorry your having such a rough time.

I also thought of teething at first. But I noticed that my babies needed more food. I'm feeding solids three times a day now and they still take the same amount of milk or more. That pretty much took care of most of their fussiness for me. I HTH some. It's like Jekyell and Hyde once I feed those kids a little more. I also stopped watching the clock as far as feeding them. Especially after 6M, I just kind of follow their lead. I hope something works for you.

10. vivalalexa

vivalalexa Well-Known Member

I know my little ones are a few months younger. But lately they have been extra fussy. Especially my DD who is usually a little angel who can play by herself all the time...
    I put my finger in their mouth...and low and behold they are both getting teeth in...
    I have been using baby oragel every 4 hours...The nighttime version.

They are still grumpy but not AS grumpy.
    It's worth a try!

11. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

Little grumpy pants! That's what we have around here too. I'll just commiserate, but can't offer much advice.

12. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

Well, I guess mine are almost 7 months (6 corrected) but one has 5 teeth the other one has two and two ready on top very sore looking. No real advice cause mine have their naps and sleep all messed up. But for the teething gel I have my girls bite on a dry wash cloth to dry the area and then I rub on the teething gel (needs to be on a dry surface) The tylenol I found every 4 hours unless they seemed ok ... then I'd do every 6 hours. I found keeping a maintenance dose of tylenol prevented the pain from getting out of hand. Also it is usually more painful in the evenings so hedge your bets and give it to them at say 4 pm and again at 8 pm.

Ok... off to take my own advice now.....

heather