Help! Do I send him to preschool with a cough/cold?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twindependent, Nov 4, 2008.

1. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

One of my sweethearts is in his bed coughing like crazy right now and I'm wondering what I'll do in the morning- Tuesday is a preschool day- they go for 2.5 hours, and then in the afternoon they go to speech class for another 2 hours. They LOVE Tuesdays, and I have a ton of work to get done, an article researched, etc. etc.

If a kid has a straight-up cold, should I send him to preschool or not? The thing is, when they have colds they don't act sick, they just sniffle and cough. If he is acting sick I certainly won't send him, but if he is acting okay, should I? The school has a list, like don't send them with this kind of fever, etc. but it says nothing about colds.

Thanks for any and all advice!

2. me_and_my_boy

me_and_my_boy Well-Known Member

I have sent my boys with clear runny noses. If it is a dry occasional cough, I would probably send them. If it's one of those nasty sounding coughs or continuous coughing, I wouldn't. I would also be kind of ticked if another mom sent their kid with nasty cough -- that's just me :). I hope he is better soon!

Mendy

3. HRE

HRE Well-Known Member

I agree, if there is no fever, and not acting sick, then send him. I know as a parent I love preschool days, but if my little ones aren't acting right, I don't send them. Mostly because when they are sick they just need the comfort of Mom. But, I also don't like when people send their kids when they are sick.

But, as for the coughing...they always cough worse at night because it drains down their throat and triggers the coughing. I hope he's fine this morning!

4. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I would go by the rule:

**if someone else sent their child to with ______symptoms would you be uspet**

I HATE when I see obviously sick kids at school. But that said- I have one DD w/ allergies and she always has a runny nose :huh: and often coughs from the drainage, but that is not 'sick' to me since it is totally allergies.

5. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

I love that idea, ladies- that is going to be my new rule, now! If I wouldn't like to see other kids there with X or Y, then I won't send mine with X or Y!

They are 100 percent somehow, this morning. Not acting or looking or sounding sick... once again Mama panics over nothing! :D

Thanks, ladies!!!

6. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

If the school's list doesn't mention colds, I'd say it is OK.

FWIW, our daycare is very accepting of colds. If they didn't let kids come to school with colds, half the school would be out on any given day in the fall/winter/spring. Their only restriction with the common cold is if the child is too sick to enjoy school, or so sick that he/she needs extra care and attention, then they should stay home.

I have sent my kids to school with some pretty rotten colds. But maybe that's a difference between preschool and full-time daycare?

7. 1girltwinboyz

1girltwinboyz Well-Known Member

Yup send him as long as no fever and he appears well enough to go. One of my twins gets asthma with a cold and the cough sounds horrid but its NOT contageous. If i kept my kids home from school with runny nose/cough all the time they would NEVER go out all Winter :cool:

But if one is actually sick, I bring both in van with me if dh is not around, send the healthy one in with one of the other mom's and her kiddo :good:

8. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

I was going to do this same thread today! My boys have coughs and runny noses. Not a constant drip though. THey are happy and playing. I looked at the schools rules for sending sick kids and these symptoms are not on the list so I sent them. If they were lacking energy or had a constant gross runny nose, I would have kept them home.