Help for biting aka nursing my piranha boy!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by wvtwinmama, Dec 2, 2012.

1. wvtwinmama

wvtwinmama Well-Known Member

Hi ladies,

My 5.5 mo olds are combination fed -- mostly breast milk with formula supplement. We also just started some solids approx 1/day. Last week, my little boy got his first tooth, and now he already has a second. He has bitten me three times in the last few days, and it HURTS. It even drew blood. I don't want to wean over this, but I'm getting scared to nurse him and am sore. I can only imagine what will happen when my little girl has teeth too. Any suggestions??

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

A baby cannot bite & nurse at the same time with only two teeth. I knew from day one that my daughter was going to be a biter. Yep. I always had to watch her and guess when she was done because if I didn't, I'd get bit. Harsh 'ouch' might scare them so try not to show the pain, and yes, it does hurt. I'd always have a finger ready to delatch biting baby. Just keep talking and saying 'just drink' or 'no bite' when it happens. It is a learning process. I do understand the fear of nursing. I hope it gets better. Congrats on nursing them this long!

3. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

I didn't have a biter per se but all of mine have nipped at one point or another (or clamped down really hard). If it hurts, I take them off the breast for a few minutes and then try again. If they bite again or if it really hurt the first time, I take them off and we try again at the next feeding. They learn pretty quick. :)

1 person likes this.
  4. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

I take them off, say 'no bites!' in a stern voice, and tap them on the chin with my finger (ok now that I'm typing that out, it sounds like I'm trying to minimize whacking them with my finger or something. I'm not. I literally just tap, I have no idea why I started doing that or where it came from lol). Anyways, Mushka laughs at me, Chana'le gets really insulted and cries. Mushka is the biter, but she is more of a nipper, not a chomper, don't know what I would do with one of those!

5. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

Easton was a biter! I had to say in kinda a louder voice OUCH! A few times, I think it kinda scared him because he doesn't bite me anymore - and he has a mouth full of teeth (16 months old) LOL!!

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ugh, nothing hurts like being bit while nursing. Orion was my biter starting at 4 months. I did as Jackie did- watch closely as he bit at the end of a session and latch him off then. Another clue for me was that O's sucking changed when he was about to bite. I also tapped his cheek if he did it, not painfully, but not the gentlest touch imaginable and said "NO!" in a loud voice.