Help for congested babies

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Kimkessenich, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Kimkessenich

Kimkessenich Well-Known Member

My twins are now a little over 4 weeks and they are terribly congested. I've got the humidifier going, I'm using saline drops and the nose sucker and I occasionally take them into the shower. Just curious if anyone else experienced this or has any tips???

They've been to the doctor and she said it's just something that has to work it's way out. It's really putting a damper on any schedule or routine that I'm trying to incorporate because they aren't sleeping well and they've been sleeping in their boucy seats so that they can stay upright. It's been a good 2 weeks now and though my pediatrician insists that it's normal I didn't have this with my daughter.

Any thoughts????

2. SilvrHeart

SilvrHeart Well-Known Member

we've used baby vics (though yours might be too young for that - check w/the pedi). There's also a nightlight that you insert menthol-scented pads into and it makes the room smell like vicks (basically) for 8 hours. We just tried that and it seemed to work well. I'm sorry, i can't remember the name of it!

3. lbrooks

lbrooks Well-Known Member

Did you have a c-section? If so, that will prolong this. I had this trouble with my two and I hate to say it but it's still not completely gone. Although, we did catch a bit of a cold around thanksgiving. It's really a bummer! I did just what you say you're doing, saline, humidifier etc. I was told no vicks.

4. Cabbyk82

Cabbyk82 Well-Known Member

My DS is always congested so we've got a humidifier in their room, and use saline and the bulb syringe as well. We also got a jar of baby vicks that seemed to help. we put some on a bib and then put the bib on the baby. That way it can be removed (the pharmacy said that it acts like a stimulant so not to do it before nap or bedtime. I also found a baby wash by johnson and johnson specially for babies with colds. It had vapors just like the vaprorub... heck, it even helped me some just by washing them!
    But as long as your dc isn't uncomfortable, you've done what you can. Sometimes no matter how much you try and suck out of their nose they're just going to be congested for a while.

5. AshleyLD

AshleyLD Well-Known Member

Mine too have been congested since birth... All you really can do is use the drops and squeeze out their noses. and the humidifyer.. Also i would get the vicks stuff.. It helps

6. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

we have this problem, too. we were using a hot mist humidifier and it wasn't helping so we got a cool mist vaporizer and that seems to be helping a little

7. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

QUOTE(SilvrHeart @ Dec 13 2007, 11:45 AM) [snapback]532377[/snapback]
    we've used baby vics (though yours might be too young for that - check w/the pedi). There's also a nightlight that you insert menthol-scented pads into and it makes the room smell like vicks (basically) for 8 hours. We just tried that and it seemed to work well. I'm sorry, i can't remember the name of it!

I have the PediaCare nightlight and its great!! I love it!! I have been telling everyone they should have one of these!
    I havent had a bloody nose since I got it and the girls are much less stuffy. Plus I also have a cool mist humidifier going.

8. Kimkessenich

Kimkessenich Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the tips and it helps to know that I'm not alone! I saw the plug in thing at the store but didn't get it...now I definitely will!

And yes - I did have a C-Section. I've read that when babies don't come out through the birth canal that their lungs don't get completely cleared out - I just didn't imagine it would last this long!

9. AimeeS

AimeeS Well-Known Member

Hey Kim - they also have vapor baby wash that you can use for their bath -that really helped mine. good luck! mine have just cleared up after about 4 weeks - it can take a while to go away.

Hey Kim - they also have vapor baby wash that you can use for their bath -that really helped mine. good luck! mine have just cleared up after about 4 weeks - it can take a while to go away.