Help! I can't sleep :(

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by angelf, Jul 29, 2008.

1. angelf

angelf Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I am starting to get very frustrated because I am getting very little sleep. It seems if it is not one thing it's another. There are 2 main culprits: acid reflux and restless legs. Also, I'm starting to get very itchy hands and feet, which is starting to contribute to my sleep woes.

As far as the reflux goes, my peri told me that I can try anything OTC, but that it will take me awhile of trial and error to see what works best for me. I have tried Tums (and still use them) and Zantac 150 (which seems to help a little, but not entirely). Has anyone used anything else with any success?

As far as the restless legs go, they make me feel like I'm insane. Telling people that I feel like I need to move my legs when I'm trying to sleep just gets to be weird. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, is there anything we can do (aside from not lying or sitting before bed, even if I try that it doesn't work for me)?

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

2. tamaras

tamaras Well-Known Member

:hug99: to you!!
    My reflux was SO bad as well & I chewed tums alllll night long for months. I also took the Zantac too, but didn't notice an amazing improvement.
    I would take really small sips of water at night too & 'thought' that helped a little bit :)
    I did not have the restless legs luckily, but I know that is very common. I got those terrible leg cramps though (charlie horses!) which KILLED.
    So at night I would give myself a little leg massage right when I got into bed.
    I hope you feel better soon!

3. kdanielleflowers

kdanielleflowers Well-Known Member

Tums have been my life saver so far. As for the legs...I have restless leg syndrome in my normal (non-preggers) life. The best thing I've found is to do some stretching or soak them in hot water (which can be tricky when you're pregnant). It is soooo difficult to explain to someone else. Sometimes I kick my DH out of bed so I can spread out or go the guest room. Wish I had more advice for you and hope it lets up soon.

4. lkmalpass

lkmalpass Member

This is going to sound very strange, but put a bar of soap in between your sheets. My mom suggested this home remedy for me as I was having leg cramps all the time. It cut down on the cramping. AND!!!! My husband has RLS. Whenever his gets bad and keeps me awake, I shove the bar of soap over on his side of the bed and withing 5 to 10 min. it stops. I am not kidding. I don't know why it works, but it does. I did a little research online and a few neuroligists recommended this for their RLS patients instead of meds. Things that make you go hmmm.....

5. angelf

angelf Well-Known Member

Thanks for your help, everyone. I did take a hot shower before I went to bed last night, and that seemed to help (much like the soaking, I imagine). I will try the bar of soap thing... I'll let you gals know how it all works out. Thanks!

6. Giselle

Giselle Guest

I haven't had the restless legs yet, as it usually appears for me late in the second trimester, but I did have it with both of my other two pregnancies. What helped me was a heating pad on my legs. I slept like that most nights and it gave me some comfort.

Tums were my best friends too for the heartburn and reflux.

7. smitch

smitch Well-Known Member

My heartburn and acid reflux is getting worse and worse by the week. I started out with Tums, but they just don't seem to work that great. So I tried liquid Maalox (actually the Equate brand works just as well) and it worked like a charm--and so quickly!! I would definitely give it a try. Whenever my heartburn or acid reflux comes on, I just take a little swig from the Maalox.

Hope that helps!

8. muscaria10

muscaria10 Well-Known Member

what is restless legs?

9. Kimani

Kimani Well-Known Member

If I'm not mistaken it means you have this really bad urge to keep moving your legs throughout the night. I think I had it with my son, but its been a while. What helped me was I made microwaveable heating pads with a long tube sock filled with rice and sewed shut. Microwave it for about 4 minutes and put it against the back of my legs. It stays warm for a while but you don't wake up too hot and burning because it cools down with time.

I'm also taking zantac and eating tums. Trying not to snack before lying down helps but my hunger gets the best of me.
    I've heard good things of Maalox. Are you allowed to take it if you are in zantac too? I guess that's a question for my dr, lol.

10. jamiandkyle2002

jamiandkyle2002 Well-Known Member

I am having restless legs. It is driving me CRAZY!! I will try the soap thing too.

QUOTE(Kimani @ Aug 1 2008, 06:59 AM) [snapback]908001[/snapback]
    If I'm not mistaken it means you have this really bad urge to keep moving your legs throughout the night. I think I had it with my son, but its been a while. What helped me was I made microwaveable heating pads with a long tube sock filled with rice and sewed shut. Microwave it for about 4 minutes and put it against the back of my legs. It stays warm for a while but you don't wake up too hot and burning because it cools down with time.

I'm also taking zantac and eating tums. Trying not to snack before lying down helps but my hunger gets the best of me.
    I've heard good things of Maalox. Are you allowed to take it if you are in zantac too? I guess that's a question for my dr, lol.

11. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

I ended up using Tylenol PM toward the end of the pregnancy to help me settle down and sleep. It helped alot. As for the heartburn, I kept Tums by the bed that I used whenever I needed to but I also made sure to not drink a lot of water right before bed. Who knew water could give you heartburn :unsure: . I found that milk and bread helped. Going to bed with an empty stomach was the worst possible thing I could do. I hope you find something that works for you!

12. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

Ditto pps...had restless legs last time and the only way I could sleep was with some tylenol pm or benadryl. I even had a sleep study while pregnant with the boys (for apnea) and they noted my RLS.

I'm starting again now with this pregnancy. Last night, DH asked me if I was okay...I just sighed and said yes...it's such a creepy crawling feeling. Yuck!

13. chocomilko

chocomilko Well-Known Member

QUOTE(angelf @ Jul 30 2008, 12:17 AM) [snapback]903634[/snapback]
    Hi everyone,
    I am starting to get very frustrated because I am getting very little sleep. It seems if it is not one thing it's another. There are 2 main culprits: acid reflux and restless legs. Also, I'm starting to get very itchy hands and feet, which is starting to contribute to my sleep woes.

As far as the reflux goes, my peri told me that I can try anything OTC, but that it will take me awhile of trial and error to see what works best for me. I have tried Tums (and still use them) and Zantac 150 (which seems to help a little, but not entirely). Has anyone used anything else with any success?

As far as the restless legs go, they make me feel like I'm insane. Telling people that I feel like I need to move my legs when I'm trying to sleep just gets to be weird. Does anyone else have this problem? If so, is there anything we can do (aside from not lying or sitting before bed, even if I try that it doesn't work for me)?

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Me to a T when I was pregs. I hated it all. The restless legs were terrible, and my DH would rub them down for me and help me get to sleep almost every night. That was so wonderful. There was absolutely nothing that took away the reflux and even water gave it to me. Just be careful that you are eating healthy foods that are low acid producing and don't overeat because that will greatly increase the acids in your stomach. Hope that helps, and it will go away the moment they are born.

14. twinmommy2B2008

twinmommy2B2008 Well-Known Member

I do not have the problem with the restless legs, but I do have some suggestions for the acid reflux.

I have a long history of gut issues- Crohn's Disease and GERD. I used to take Nexium, now I am on Prilosec and it works just as well. If you start on an OTC treatment it will take 5-7 days for it start working (usually). But, as far as home remedies go, I agree with the person who said to eat a piece of bread or toast. It helps to soak up all that extra acid your stomach is making. I used to do this before I was even diagnosed with the above problems. It was not uncommon for me to get up in the middle of the night just to eat a plain peice of bread. Crackers should also do the trick-they should soak up acid as well.

Good luck!

15. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Well-Known Member

I too have restless legs. Just an FYI antihistamines can make it worse. I find that if I lay down and it kicks in that I go take a bath until I feel it go away. Also at the end of my pregnancy my ob put my on ambien.

16. ANGELA SHAW

ANGELA SHAW Well-Known Member

i take a tums as i get into bed wih a tall glass of milk, it the only thign that has worked for me,
    it last untell about half the night when i have to do it again
    i only get it bad at night though

17. smitch

smitch Well-Known Member

My doctor just put me on Protonix for the heartburn and acid reflux. OMG, it is a WONDER DRUG!!! My OB said it is perfectly safe during pregnancy. It is very expensive though, so my doctor gave me free samples to make sure it worked for me first.

Anyway, just something you might want to ask your doctor about.

Take care!