Help! Is there any type of simple alarm for doors?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by threebecamefive, Apr 1, 2008.

1. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

Granted, they can't get too far because I'm never away for too long, but it doesn't take very long for tragedies to occur. I discipline them severly when they go out front without me or DH, but that doesn't deter them the next time. Several years ago when DH and I were house hunting, one of the homes had a little security device on one of the doors to alert the family when their young daughter would open the back door. That's the type of thing I'd like for our front door. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? I hope someone can help me out! Thanks!

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

I know there is something just like you are describing but don't know what it is. We have security chains on all our doors.

3. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

Can you install a simple hook and eye latch at the top of the door? I had read that somewhere as an inexpensive way to lock a door and prevent kids from getting out. If not, I would ask at Lowe's or Home Depot in the hardware department and see if they can recommend anything for this situation.

4. cwinslow7

cwinslow7 Well-Known Member

Chains on the doors scare me, just like hurricane panels that are left up...if something happens the fire dept can't easily get in. Here's a link to some that I've seen at Walmart and other stores...I've also seen the commercials on tv. DH's mother gave us some few years ago but I gave them away, don't really need that kind when we have a built in alarm system (sometimes I wonder about MIL.)

5. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

We have those simple 1st Safety Door Knobs on all of our doors on the main floor of our house (connecting to the garage as well). I know my twins will one day figure how to open that from the door knob. I would love to hear from others about front door and garage door too.

One suggestion is if you have a glass front screen door that has a lock (you turn like to lock or unlock). If a child open the front door he/she would still need to turn the screen door unlock too. I don't know if they would figure that out too?

We recently purchased at Home Depot called "The Door Guardian" for sliding door. We will be need to get those mesh half screen cover for our sliding door when I need breeze coming in our house. We do have a fenced yard, thankfully! And will be child proofing soon in their bedroom once they transition to a twin bed.

Diana w/Rianna and Justin (18 mos old)

6. twindependent

twindependent Well-Known Member

I have seen little white plastic alarm-type things at home-improvement stores. If it is turned on, it will beep when the door is open. I'm so glad you are pursuing a solution to this- it can result in some scary things!

7. texastwinks

texastwinks Well-Known Member

8. threebecamefive

threebecamefive Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone! I googled "child safety door alarms" and received many hits. The few I checked out were simple magnetic alarms. The alarm went off when the magnetic connection was broken. We went to our local hardware store and they had two different types; both for under $15.

We have the child safety door covers. My DD takes them off; plus, they don't work on the front door. We also lock the doors, but they can unlock all of them, even the bolt. We even lock the storm doors, but they unlock those. They KNOW they aren't supposed to go out front without an adult (or the back, but that doesn't scare me as much because our yard is safe and fenced in. I still don't want them out there w/o my knowledge or permission though).

We bought one of the magnetic alarms. It emits a high pitch "scream" when the magnets come apart. It won't prevent them from going out without us, but it will let us know asap that they've gone. I also have a feeling they won't like the sound, so that will deter them.

I didn't want to do a hook and eye because I didn't want to lock myself out if I went out a different door. I didn't want to drill a hole in our door frame, or our storm door. Plus, even though hope it'll never be an issue, I didn't want to create a situation where emergency personell are kept out even for a few extra minutes, in case of an emergency.

Thanks again for all of your suggestions! The alarm we bought literally took a minute or two to "install". Super easy!

9. Stacy A.

Stacy A. Well-Known Member

I've actually seen those magnetic alarms at the Dollar Store, as well. We bought one as a "gag" gift at Christmas to be part of a basket.

10. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

When Jon did that, we did 2 things. One was to turn our alarm on, where it would say, very loudly, "DOOR OPEN". Also, our doors have some type of screw in the door jam so you can raise or lower the jam, depending on the time of year--raise in winter when the wood shrinks, and lower in summer when the wood expands. DH raised that up so that they physically couldn't open the door. It was hard for me as well, so I was glad when we were able to stop doing that :)

11. brianamurnion

brianamurnion Well-Known Member

QUOTE(KJS @ Apr 1 2008, 10:13 AM) [snapback]698940[/snapback]
    Can you install a simple hook and eye latch at the top of the door? I had read that somewhere as an inexpensive way to lock a door and prevent kids from getting out. If not, I would ask at Lowe's or Home Depot in the hardware department and see if they can recommend anything for this situation.

We do this for our basement door! I am terrified a baby will go spilling down the stairs someday!