Help Me Figure Out What Kind of Daycare Soultion Would Be Best?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by cat mommy, Apr 9, 2010.

1. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

I'm going to be working one day a week out of my home. I will be on the computer (80% of the time) and phone (20% of the time) and will need relative (but not complete) quiet so I can concentrate and talk on the phone to clients. I will work in one of the bedrooms upstairs.

-The kids are not supposed to go to a large group daycare.
    -I'm concerned about noise and interruptions if we have a nanny come in. I don't know if my concern is valid, since I will be upstairs and kids will be downstairs. Some noise is fine (even the occasional cry), but I can't have someone constantly knocking on the bedroom door. But I do like the idea of having the kids close by.
    -Taking them to someone's house would take about 1 hour (getting kids dressed + driving somewhere since we live pretty far out). This is one hour that I'm not working and since I'm billing my clients by the hour, this is a concern. DH would pick them up on his way home.
    -Having a friend watch them is not really an option since I have only two friends who don't work and live very close. One has guns in the home and the other has 5 children, including her own twins. So neither of those situations would work. I also have no family members nearby.
    -Money is not really a concern since my hourly billing would exceed what I am paying for childcare. But, I need to be able to concentrate so I can work and bill for it.

2. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Hmm, this is a tough one. If you live an hour away from everyone, then would it also be difficult to find someone who is able to come care for your children in your home because everyone would have an hour drive?

You could try the website sittercity.com for either someone to come to your home or for an in-home daycare. I don't know which I would choose if I were you though. It's a tough call.

If you had someone come to your home then maybe they could also pick up/do a little cleaning. But if you brought the kids to someone's house you'd be guaranteed quiet for the day.

3. JoellePotter

JoellePotter Well-Known Member

I have nannied before when I was younger... Ok I guess I just stopped about 2 years ago, but still :) The last one was the most laid out I'd ever had.

I arrived at their house at 7am, she already had her little boy (18 months) out of bed when I got there and was giving him breakfast. When I got there I just sat whatever I may have brought down and took over watching him as he ate. She'd make herself something quick to eat and usually take it to the room with her. She worked at home Monday-Friday on the computer doing video conference type deals w/ clients.

She had a schedule she kept him to so it made my day easy. I don't remember it exactly. I know there was breakfast, then get him dressed (still in his pjs when I got there), then there was some play time, park time, lunch, a little more play time, then we would watch baby einstein videos until he fell asleep (usually didn't take more than 5 mins lol), then I'd put him down in his crib for a nap (this was around noon I think). Sometimes he sleep 2 hours, sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. When he woke up (it was usually 2ish) we'd have more play time (this could be front yard play, toy play, little flash cards, etc... she liked a lot of educational stuff) until she was "off" work (@ 3:30). If she ever finished up early, I could usually leave early.

Now she had the schedule way more detailed and laid out better than I just explained, but I think you should understand.

I never once had to knock on her door to ask her anything. He had tons of allergies so that was all listed. In the beginning she of course explained things he really liked/dislike ie; loved you to hold his hand and run with him, he'd giggle up a storm and keep saying more lol

I found the job via Craigslist so if you want to try something for free you could post there all of your wants, see what e-mails or calls you get, show them what your schedule/routine will look like, see if they will be comfortable with it. I'd also have them come by and meet you, see how they interact with you and your little ones. Now if your little ones seems hesitant at first, don't think that this person just isn't going to work out. You may find that your little ones are not comfortable with anyone new at first. If your interviewees give you a good vibe, but not your little ones, bring them in for a few "half days." Allow them time to get to know them.

When I met with this family, their little boy took to me very quickly. They actually said they were surprised cause he's not normally like that, however, my first day, the minute his mom went to work, he freaked out. Gave him a few minutes and he was fine. She actually tried to never come out of the room when we were in the house (she'd tried when she knew we'd be at the park) because he would react like that again. Eventually he stopped doing it every morning when she went to work.

Hope all of that helps

ETA: I also vacuumed the living room daily for her, put any dishes he used in the dishwasher, and would put away his laundry. During his nap time, she didn't mind if I did college work, took a nap myself, etc. If she had dishes in the sink, I always went ahead and rinsed them off for her and put them in. Don't expect that from everyone though!

4. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

If you can find someone to come to your house, I think that makes the most sense. Eons ago, I worked as a nanny for families where the parents occasionally worked from home for the day. It was similar to pp's description. Basically, we went about the day as if no one was home. GL!

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

If you can find someone you like to come into your house, do it! I have worked from home since the girls were 10 months old and I went back to work. We had a nanny for two full years (just put the girls in preschool in February). Not once did our nanny need to come knock on my door. Seriously, never. She was fantastic with my girls and was able to care for them without needing anything from me. At first I was in an upstairs room and I could hear an occasional cry, but people on the phone never could. We moved a year ago and I now work in a first floor room about 40 feet from the girls playroom. Still, not enough noise that people on the phone could tell I'm at home.

So... I completely and totally vote for having someone come to you rather than you having to drive them. We structured our nanny's day so that she arrived about 15 minutes before I wanted to get started working. That way we could catch up on anything new with the girls and keep communication open.

6. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

I worked FT from home when my little ones were small. I had a separate office area and interruptions were really not an issue. The nanny is there to take care of them and keep them occupied, so if there are interruptions then the nanny really isn't doing a great job.

But it may be hard to find someone for just one day a week. Maybe look into a nanny share with someone else.

7. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Thanks. Sounds like in home would be best--possibly a student or SAHM who is looking only for part-time work.

8. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I would definitley do a babysitter and just set really clear boundries. Frankly, it will probably be YOU that has a hard time not running downstairs to help rather than the babysitter coming upstairs!

9. *Sully*

*Sully* Well-Known Member

I had a really hard time finding a reliable part time sitter to help me with the twins when I started working from home. I used care.com to find the sitters. You say you are only working one day/week, is that correct? Do you have to do all your work on that one day?

I work from home FT and have a varied schedule. I have a pt sitter and the kids go to playschool 2 days/week. Although it is a pain getting them out the door to go some days, it is SO NICE to have them gone for that time. In the fall we are putting them in for 3 days. The nice thing about this as well is that when they come home they're exhausted and nap for hours.

GL with your search for childcare! I've always found it to be so challenging and overwhelming.