Help! Need advice! Expecting twins!

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by infinity62202, Dec 10, 2006.

1. infinity62202

infinity62202 Well-Known Member

Hey girls!
    Well, since the twins will be our first , our trip to Babies-r-us to register this weekend was quite intimidating.
    Anyway...
    I have a few questions.
    1)What kind of diaper bag do you recommend? Can double as a purse if needed?
    2)What did you have the twins sleep in for the first few months? A lot ofpeople recommend the pack-n-play, but the double one has two seperate bassinets(I want them to sleep together) and the weight limit on the regular pack-n-play bassinet seems low to hold the two of them.
    3)When did you move them from your room to their own room? Crib?
    4)When it comes to the stroller, I know everyone has their own idea of the "right" one. We have chosen the duoglider travel system at Babies-r-us, and then registered for the extra car seat. My MIL found a duoglider(by itself) at Sears, but we would need to getthe two cars seats then from Sears, b/c they do not match the travel system pattern. What should I do? Stick with the travel system or have her get the one at Sears?
    5) Antone breast feeding? Have a suggestion on breast pumps? Should I rent from the hospital or buy? And if I buy which one is the best? Likely I will only be breastfeeding for 3-6 months.
    6)High chairs? Any recommendations? We can't tell a big diff between cheap ones and the expensive ones!
    ~~~
    Well thanks for your time and answers if youcan share! [​IMG]
    Told you I was a mess!

2. infinity62202

infinity62202 Well-Known Member

Hey girls!
    Well, since the twins will be our first , our trip to Babies-r-us to register this weekend was quite intimidating.
    Anyway...
    I have a few questions.
    2)What did you have the twins sleep in for the first few months? A lot ofpeople recommend the pack-n-play, but the double one has two seperate bassinets(I want them to sleep together) and the weight limit on the regular pack-n-play bassinet seems low to hold the two of them.
    4)When it comes to the stroller, I know everyone has their own idea of the "right" one. We have chosen the duoglider travel system at Babies-r-us, and then registered for the extra car seat. My MIL found a duoglider(by itself) at Sears, but we would need to getthe two cars seats then from Sears, b/c they do not match the travel system pattern. What should I do? Stick with the travel system or have her get the one at Sears?
    5) Antone breast feeding? Have a suggestion on breast pumps? Should I rent from the hospital or buy? And if I buy which one is the best? Likely I will only be breastfeeding for 3-6 months.
    6)High chairs? Any recommendations? We can't tell a big diff between cheap ones and the expensive ones!
    ~~~
    Well thanks for your time and answers if youcan share! [​IMG]
    Told you I was a mess!

3. Sara26

Sara26 Well-Known Member

We have the duoglider and liked it very much when the girls were still in their infant carriers. Now that they're older I'm thinking about buying a side-by-side because I think they would enjoy it more. I found a duoglider with two infant car seats and two bases on Ebay, gently used, for about $300 total, which was a great price.

With highchairs, but something that's plastic and NOT cloth! My parents bought us the Eddie Bauer highchairs, which are very nice, but not very practical. They don't recline, which was a big problem until the girls could sit very well on their own, which was about 8 months. Plus the cloth covering is such a pain!

Hope that helps [​IMG]

4. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

Hi and CONGRATS!!!

1. I used a Wendy Bellissimo bag from BRU, it had two big compartments and a front part that was for the mom's stuff

2. This is a hard question because sometimes what you expect you will do, turns out completely different, it's really up to the babes. I had a Port-a-crib set up right next to me for them to sleep in snug and together and they would not sleep in it. Actually with their Pedi's ok they would only sleep in their infant car seats (totally normal because it has the same comfy feeling as the womb) until they were two months then in their bouncers until 3 months when I tried putting them into their own cribs in their own rooms, definately not what I expected.

3. Mine were ready at 3 months, I tried it at the suggestion of my mom and it worked.

4. I had the duo-glider system also and my infant car seats were the same color but not the exact same pattern, you would never have noticed. My mom bought the stroller for like $110 new and someone bought me the two carseats I picked for my shower.

5. I did not BF so I can't help you on that one.

6. Highchairs, I just when to BRU and tried out some see if they were easy to handle etc. and picked one. I have Graco ones I think the pattern was Malawi.
    I definately agree to get plastic and not cloth. Mine are easy to wipe and came with washable, reversable cloth covers which I am able to wash every week and it still has the plastic cover, which you see in the store, on if you are not done washing before the next feeding.

5. ksls

ksls Well-Known Member

I keep my wallet and calendar book in my diaper bag. I still have a purse and on rare occasions when I go out without the babies I grab my wallet and stick it in my purse. I hate carrying 2 bags.

I have the Land's End Do it all diaper bag and I don't like it. It opens liek a doctor's bag but you lose a lot of useable space when you close it. I'm shopping for a new one and think the Skip Hop Duo Double is in my future...

I had a pack n play with bassinet and a Moses basket as well as 2 cribs. Mostly they slept in their cribs. If you want to use the pack n play bassinet you can find a large cardboard box to put inside the main part of the pack n play (under the bassinet part) to help support the weight. It probably isn't necessary tho, they are pretty sturdy.

We wanted ours to sleep together too and they did for about 2 weeks. EVen tho they couldn't roll over they could scoot and Annie would end up on top of Erin. They both would wake up, and that ended the co-cribbing for us. I was very bummed but it was more important for all of us to get sleep!

We had a queen siae bed set up in their room and for about 4 months someone always slept in it to keep an ear out for them.

I would skip the travel system. Get a double snap n go to use with the carseats until they hit the weight limit (for us it was 6 months, and remember the recommendation is to *not* leave a baby in a carseat for long amounts of time) and pick out a nice double stroller later once you figure out your preferences and how you will be using it. If you do a lot of outdoor walking you will want something with large wheels, if you mostly stroll the mall you will want something that steers really well and probably a tandem arrangement as opposed to side by side. The double snap n go is very lightweight. The duoglider is very heavy, even before you snap the carseats onto it. Add up all the weights of the stroller + 2 carseats + 2 babies up to 20 or 22 lbs. a piece. That's a lot of weight to be pushing around!

I'd wait and see before I'd buy a breastpump. You can rent one short term if you need it but if you're planning on exclusively BF you probably won't need one. And you can usually find Medela Pump in Style pumps used for pretty cheap. I see them on craigslist all the time for $50-$75.

We didn't have space for big highchairs so we bought Chicco Hippo hook on high chairs, they clip onto a table. THe girls love being right there with us. The downside is we couldn't use them until they could sit up pretty well on their own. It wasn't a biggie tho, we would just put the Bebe POD and Bumbo seat (we had one of each) on the table when we sat down to eat and also used them when we first started solids. If I were to get a regular highchair I'd make sure a) it was easy to clean b) the tray could be removed with one hand and was dishwasher safe c) reclined for younger infants.

Alot of ppl here have used feeding seats that strap onto a chair. That's a good idea too if you're short on space.

Good luck! Hope something in here helped!

6. Inlowtwins

Inlowtwins Well-Known Member

Hi and congrats on your twins!!

1. I have the Fleurville and love it. Yes, I use it as a purse too.
    2. Our girls were preemies so when we brought them home from the hospital they slept in our room in the PNP for one night and then the next night in their room! They made too much noise for DH and I.
    3. The second night they were home
    4. For our stroller we used the snap and go and love it!! Any carseat will fit in it and it is wonderful. Now that they girls are bigger I have a Combi twin savvy and it is great too. It is so easy to push and they love to hold hands while they ride. The only thing I don't like about it is the baskets underneath are pretty small.
    5. I BF my oldest DD for 11 months and had a really hard time getting the twins to BF since they were preemies. So I have been pumping for 10 months. I have a Medela pump in style and it is hands down the best!
    6. Highchairs - We have the fisher price one, I can't remember which one, but it was the one that the Baby Bargains book recommends (BTW - is a fabulous book for first time moms!!)

Good Luck!!

7. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Originally posted by infinity62202:
    1)What kind of diaper bag do you recommend? Can double as a purse if needed? I have a backpack version of a diaper bag. I find it very useful to put it on both shoulders so it won't slip off. It is very handy with all the compartments. I do put my billfold in it.
    2)What did you have the twins sleep in for the first few months? . Ours slept seperately in two bassinettes. YOu can put them in one crib together. You might even be able to fit them both in a basinette. You are right, pack n plays do have a weight limit, but that might work for a little bit.
    3)When did you move them from your room to their own room? Crib? At 2 months, we moved them out of the basinettes (in our room) to their individual cribs down in the nursery (nursery is on different floor unforunately). It worked great.. well, I made many trips up and down the stairs, but with the monitor system in place we slept when they allowed us to! [​IMG]
    5) Antone breast feeding? Have a suggestion on breast pumps? Should I rent from the hospital or buy? And if I buy which one is the best? Likely I will only be breastfeeding for 3-6 months. The medela PIS (Pump in Style) is a favorite. It works great! The rent or buy question all depends on you. If your insurance covers renting, and you don't plan on nursing for very long, I would probably go that route.

Congratulations on your twin pregnancy! If you need any further breastfeeding advice, please come over to the breastfeeding forum. We'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. Educating yourself ahead of time helps many succeed! HTH

8. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

First of all congrats on your twin preg and best of luck to you !

1)I personally have found a back pack diaper bag to be the easiest for me. We bought 2 of the Columbia ones from BRU and I really like all the features. On one side it fits 2 bottles and on the other, I use it for my personal stuff. On the inside, it has a changing pad and I put the wipe case in there with it. It also has a special zipper on the side which allows you to get to the bottom which has been an important feature for me. I generally only use one but we are all going to Puerto Rico in a few weeks so 2 will come in handy. I also have a large shoulder one by Columbia for when I need to pack a lot more stuff.

2)Our girls slept on these awesome pillows by Boppy called the Newborn Lounger. For the first week, they slept on those on our bed (we have a king size bed) and then we moved them into the crib which we kept in our room until they were 2 1/2 months old. They slept on those pillows in the crib. They were the best purchase I ever made and I will always buy that pillow for any friend who is becoming a mom even if they didn't register for it.

3)We moved them to their room when they were 2 1/2 months old and we put them in their own seperate cribs when they were about 3 months old.

4)We purchased the Snap n' Go (I think that's what it was called). We got 2 of the Snuggle ride car seats by Graco (?). But, we had to order the double snap n' go frame on line. I don't know about the sears think but I do like the fact that BRU offers a twin discount when you purchase 2 of the same item (it has to be big ticket items like car seats, bouncers, swings, high chairs etc.)

5)My suggestion would be to rent a hospital grade one first. I had such high expectations about bfing and unfortunately it just didn't work out for me and my milk never really came in. So, $250 down the drain. If you are only going to be doing it for up to 6 months, it's probably worth it to just rent it. Perhaps bfing moms could give better advice on this one.

6)I totally agree with pp on this one. Get plastic!! I absolutely LOVE our high chairs. We got the Fisher Price Ocean Wonders theme chairs. They have 3 positions for sitting, they adjust to 3 different heights, and they come with a great activity toy that fits right onto the tray. They also come on wheels so it really makes moving them around very easy. This is how I have been feeding my girls simultaneously since they were about 4 months old. They were 99 bucks each but with the twin discount we paid 89 for each of them and I know we will be able to use them for the next couple of years.

BTW, you are not a mess! You are smart to ask now and be prepared. Trust me, once those little sweeties come along, you'll be happy you took care of all this stuff sooner than later! Best of luck to you!!

9. txtwinmom2b

txtwinmom2b Well-Known Member

I have a backpack type of diaper bag from Land's End. I like it so far!

I have an Arm's Reach Cosleeper. Or they sleep in bed with us.

My boys are 2 months, and still are in our room. I'm hoping that I can move them when they start sleeping longer stretches.

We also have the duoglider. I have one that matches the pattern and one that doesn't. To me, it really doesn't make a difference whether they match or not.

I am currently breastfeeding. I have an Ameda Purely Yours, and it's worked out very well. Also Medelas are really good as well. I have a 4 year old that I breastfed as well, and the Medela Pump In Style was the one I had. I also used the hospital grade pump due to my boys being 6 weeks early.

We are going to use the Fisher PRice Healthy Care,and that's the ones we used with our first DD as well. I liked it because you can remove the trap and pop it in the dishwasher. And the cover is plastic so we could just wipe it down.

10. Evanly

Evanly Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Congratulations!!!

I have a few questions.
    1)What kind of diaper bag do you recommend? Can double as a purse if needed?I have both the messanger bag and the tote bag from pottery barn kids. The messenger bag can double as a large purse if you wanted...I use the tote when I don't need to carry a bag with me, but need somewhere to throw all their stuff in the car.
    2)What did you have the twins sleep in for the first few months? A lot ofpeople recommend the pack-n-play, but the double one has two seperate bassinets(I want them to sleep together) and the weight limit on the regular pack-n-play bassinet seems low to hold the two of them. Mine were in the NICU for 10 weeks - cobedded for the last 5 or so. When they came home I wanted them together but read that the double pack-n-play has the same weight limit on top as the other. We used two Graco travel cribs - a little smaller than the pack-n-play, okay for sleep, and same weight limit. They started out together, since I wanted to cobed them, but after two weeks, were keeping each other up. Then they each stayed in one in our room till about 3 mos. adjusted - longer than I planned, but after our NICU stay, DH and I wanted them close [​IMG]. Now the travel cribs are at gram's house for visits.

3)When did you move them from your room to their own room? Crib? 3 mos. adjusted. Separate cribs at that point.

4)When it comes to the stroller, I know everyone has their own idea of the "right" one. We have chosen the duoglider travel system at Babies-r-us, and then registered for the extra car seat. My MIL found a duoglider(by itself) at Sears, but we would need to getthe two cars seats then from Sears, b/c they do not match the travel system pattern. What should I do? Stick with the travel system or have her get the one at Sears? We started with the duoglider and non matching seats - because we liked the pattern better than the one that the travel system came in. After a while we added the Combi Twin Savvy - love it! So we could have a side-by-side as well. I still use them both for different situations.

5) Antone breast feeding? Have a suggestion on breast pumps? Should I rent from the hospital or buy? And if I buy which one is the best? Likely I will only be breastfeeding for 3-6 months. I breastfed for the first 3 months. I was given a hospital pump to use while the boys were in the NICU. MIL also gave me a Medela Pump-in-Style which I used when I came home. The hospital grade was much better, didn't hurt as much, and pumped more for some reason. If you buy - get the new Medela one which has the two different flows. That's the closed to the good hospital grade ones. If you are only planning on 3-6 months you are probably better of pumping, if you will be BF directly.

6)High chairs? Any recommendations? We can't tell a big diff between cheap ones and the expensive ones! I would wait until after you have the babies - easier to tell what type of a chair they will fit in best. Some chairs work better for taller babies, others for plumper babies. It will be a while until you need them.

HTH

11. RRTwins

RRTwins Well-Known Member

1)Diaper Bag/Purse: For the everyday diaper bag, I use a large Vera Bradley bag, which I used to use as a travel bag and everyone told me it looked like a diaper bag [​IMG] I also received two free diaper bags at the hospital and we keep one in each of our cars for "emergencies" - such as forgetting to bring one somewhere(which we've done) or running out of something (which we've also done).

2) Sleeping arrangements: My boys slept in a crib from the day they came home from the hospital. They shared a crib until 6 weeeks old, when we separated them into their own cribs. I highly recommend keeping them in cribs from the start, you'll have less "transition issues" when trying to get them acclimated to something new later. My boys were sleeping through the night at 2 months and I think a lot of the reason is due to getting them used to their cribs right away.

3) Moving from your room to theirs: Mine have been in their own room from the day they came home from the hospital. For the first 6 weeks, either DH or I slept in their room on an inflatable bed on a rotating schedule so we could be close when they needed us. We rotated every 3 hours. Whichever one of us was not on rotation got some peaceful sleep in our room. If the babies are in your room, neither of you is ever going to get any sleep.

4)Stroller: I LOVE the Double Snap and Go with the Graco Snugride infant carriers. It is so convenient, lightweight and easy to use. And the Snugrides are always rated as one of the best carseats out there for babies.

5) Breastfeeding/Pump: I breastfed and supplemented for 6 weeks and then switched to exclusively bottle feeding after 6 weeks due to having to take critical medication that would have passed through the milk. I am so glad I didn't waste my money on a breatpump. I rented one from the hospital - it was perfect. Worked really well and I only spent $50 instead of $250-$300!! I recommend renting one - you'll get hospital grade and if it doesn't work out for some reason, you will have saved a ton of money. If it does work out and you go the whole 6 months, a typical rental is $50/month and buying a good pump is $300 so it comes out the same. However, if you don't go 6 months, you'll lose money.

6)Highchairs: Buy something easy to clean - you will feel like you are cleaning them all day long and you want that process to be as easy as possible. I just purchased the Chicco High Chair in Woodstock. They really have a nice selection of high chairs that do not look like a cartoon threw up on it. [​IMG] Very stylish yet functional. Plus all the bells and whistles like a 5 point harness, reclining chair, vinyl seat cover, adjustable footrest, adjustable height, and wheels with brakes. Check them out!!

12. OctoberBabies

OctoberBabies Well-Known Member

Congratulations!
    1. The Wendy Bellisssimo bag from BRU is huge. It fits everything, including my necessities.
    2. I used two pack n' plays (with one bassinet in each) - one in our room and one downstairs so I didn't have to go up and down the steps. But a lot of time they sleep in their vibrating seats (the have reflux).
    3. They are 10 weeks and they are still in our room. Again the reflux makes me nervous to put them that far away from me. Plus when one cries I can get to her quicker so she doesn't wake the other. I try to put them in their cribs a few times during the day to get them used to it.
    4. I didn't like the pattern of the Duoglider at BRU so I went online and found a site with free ship over $75 and got the pattern I like and the matching car seats sent right to my house. Just google Graco Duoglider and check the Graco web site to see all the diff colors and patterns.
    5. I am not breast feeding.
    6. Get a high chair that will adjust to what your baby needs : will it recline, does it have a removable tray and seat cushions, does it have cloth seat cushions (I like the cloth, cause I can't imagine I'd want to sit on a plastic seat cushion. Cloth is machine washable and comfier.), does it height adjust, does it recline, can it be used until they are toddlers at the table. I have 2 Gracos - one from my son and a new Harmony.

13. Hillybean

Hillybean Well-Known Member

First off congrats! The girls are our first kids and we were SO clueless when we went to register!

1. I have 3 diaper bags. Right now I use one that I got from Vera Bradley. I find that all I really need to carry along is a change of clothes for each, diapers, wipes, pacifiers, hats, toy, burp clothes and extra bibs. When I am going to be out for a meal I bring a smaller bag that holds all their feeding stuff. As for a purse I have a small bag that I keep in my diaper bag that has my wallet, cell phone and chapsick (I find I don't need much more than that).

2. Our girls slept in the bassenet part of a regular PNP. They were 4 weeks early so together they weighed about as much as a regular newborn.

3. We moved them out of our room and into thier crib the day after their 3 month b-day and they have slept there ever since, not one night back in our room.

4. Not really sure...

5. I BF and pump. I have the medeala pump in style and it is the best $250 I ever spent! I think that spend more time with my pump than I do hangning out with my husband! The lactation lady at our hospital said that if I was planning to BF more than a month I should buy instead of rent. I am planning to BF/pump till the girls are atleast 6 months.

6. We did not buy highchairs but registered for the Fisher Price Booster seats. We have a very small house and no room for 2 highchairs!

Good luck!!!

14. OctoberBabies

OctoberBabies Well-Known Member

BRU does offer a twin discount on any big ticket buys, but you HAVE to ask for it and the stuff has to be bought at the same time. Tell whoever may be planning your shower to include that on th invites.

15. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

The best ones for me were the ones that zipped closed or the backpack style. Both kept all the items a little more organized and the backpack was very easy to carry. For the first 1-2 months, the little diaper bag they gave away for free at the hospital was big enough because the babies didn't need any toys or anything yet.

We had them sleep in the regular PNP bassinet until they reached a combined 15 lbs. This took 1-1.5 months. Then I left one in that bassinet and moved the other one to another bassinet right next to it. If you can move a crib into your room, that is a good option too.

We didn't move the girls until they were sleeping through the night. For us, that was at almost 10 months old. Even at that age, it was an easy switch because I did it gradually. We waited so long because I didn't want to be getting up to go to their room multiple times a night. When we moved them to their own room is when we also moved them from PNPs to the cribs.

The patterns on the carseats and stroller do not need to match. The carseats will only be used for 6 months or so while the stroller will be around for 3 years. If you have someone who is willing to buy you a stroller, go for it. Then just change the carseats on your registry to 2 instead of 1.

If you will be pumping for any extended length of time, you'll want a double electric breastpump, like the Medela Pump in Style. I pumped exclusively and that's what I used. I also had an Avent Isis for emergencies. If you don't think you'll be pumping much, a manual pump should be okay.

We went with the Babee Tenda feeding tables. They have to be ordered by phone but are wonderful. They would not be the right choice for every family but they were perfect for us. They will not tip (a danger with highchairs), have a large feeding area (keeps food on the table and also is a great play area), are easy to transport, can be converted to a table/chair/& swing afterwards, and the babies cannot escape from them. They're pretty much the safest highchairs available. On the con side, they are a little large and expensive. The company has a great twins discount though.

16. Beth33

Beth33 Well-Known Member

Welcome and congrats!!!!!
    1.) We have a backpack diaper bag (Columbia brand) and it works well for both DH and I, he doesn't mind carrying it at all when we are out shopping. I also have a Fleurville Mothership bag that I use on occassion but quite honestly, I think it's too big. I still have a purse and like the other poster, I just move my wallet back and forth between the two.
    2.) I was adamant that we have the Arms Reach Co-sleeper, my cousin had used it for her baby and couldn't stop telling me how great it was.....it is a great product and wish we could have used it but we tried it for one night and moved the girls to thier own room but in one crib. They made too much noise and were really squeaky for us to get any rest. Plus I was sure that I'd be breastfeeding but that didn't work out either (I pumped for two weeks) so the benefits of the co-sleeper (having them right next to you) went out the window with that as well. We use the co-sleeper as a playpen now and take it when we travel for one of them to sleep in.
    3.) Night #2
    4.) We use the Peg Perego Duette and love it. Very pricey but worth every penny...it even has a steering wheel!
    5.) I also rented a hospital pump and so glad that I didn't spend the money on one! I'd wait to see if I were you. I had every intention of breast feeding but the girls were so little and couldn't latch well, I tried pumping and supplementing but eventually switched to just formula.
    6.) We just went through this dilemma. I initially bought the Chicco Hippo hook on chairs thinking it was a great idea. I never even broke them out of the box. I fed them in their bouncies when we started solids and ended up returning the hook ons for normal highchairs and I LOVE them! We got the Chicco ones from BRU...colors are very neutral, easy to put together, comfy for the girls, can't imagine not having them!
    Good luck and Happy Holidays!

17. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

The diaper bag depends on the stroller. I got one at BRU and don't carry it because it doesn't fit under my stroller. I take the little freebie the hospital gave us everywhere and if I need more stuff, I pack the bigger one and leave it in the car.

I have a cradle that my dad built, but I know a lot of people like the co-sleepers for a while and they will fit in the PnP for quite a while too. That's a good option. (I had the regular PnP, not the double)

I moved them around 3 mos. to their own crib in their own room. THEY are NOISY little farm animals (that's what they sound like) and you'll eventually probably need to not wake to every sound. You will do this at your own rate!

I used a snap and go for the first 6-7 mos. and then got the Combi Twin Savvy. It's a favorite on these boards for sure! Snap and go was nice at first and now I LOVE my SBS.

High chairs. You can't go wrong with the First Years Feeding Seats. They strap to your kitchen chairs and push under the table to be OUt of THE WAY!! They also recline as well!! A great buy!!! I wouldn't ever mess with a high chair now that I have those!!

I think that about covers it!! Good luck! I hope your pregnancy is uneventful from here on out!! We'll see you over here soon!

18. jessben81

jessben81 Well-Known Member

Congrats and Welcome! How excited you must be! [​IMG]

1.) I just got the matching diaper bag to my travel system. When I go out I do use it as a purse too. There is a compartment for credit cards and cell phone, etc. It is Graco.

2 and 3.)We just put both of our boys in the same crib and they were fine. We just moved them into seperate cribs that are next to each other a few weeks ago and they are still doing well. They slept in their own room from the beginning and we have never had any problems. I do have a pack n play that I use sometimes in the living room when I am transfering babies from one room to the next so that I know the other one is safe, but, other than that it doesn't get used much.

4.)I don't think it matters whether or not the pattern matches. If you can get it for cheaper at one store, why pay more for something that you will only be using together for a year or less? I have the duoglider and I love it!

5.)I would rent because they are so expensive to buy. Also, the hospital ones are alot stronger than the ones you buy.

6.) We got the Windsor high chairs by Graco. They weren'y cheap and they weren't expensive. I don't know how well they work yet because our boys are still too little to use them.

I hope this helps you! Good luck!

19. C@rolyn

C@rolyn Banned

The diaper bag- It may not be the most fashionable, but a back pack type really is the most practical thing I have found. You can fit a lot in it, and it won't be wacking any babies in the face, as a sholder strap kind can when you are alone and carrying 2 infant car seats.

The pump-I defanitly recomend the hospitol pump! I used the hand pump with my first baby, and it was a chore with one baby. With 2 and even less sleep , the automatic is so much easier.

Our twins co-slept untill 6 months. Then they had to be seperated due to the fact that they were kicking each other and stuff. We still have their cribs right next to each other and they play and giggle with each other through the bars, they even try to pass each other toys over the top and they think it's the funniest thing in the world! [​IMG]

20. rebeccalynn71

rebeccalynn71 Well-Known Member

1. Diaper Bag - We haven't been out much yet, except for doctor's appointments. I have a large tote that I carry as a purse and have been able to carry my diapers, wipes and bottles in thier so far.

2/3. My babies are still doing well in the same crib at almost 4 months (1 month adjusted). I sleep in their room since my bedroom is on another floor.

4. I have the combi twin savy stroller but have not had the chance to use it yet.

5. I rented a breast pump from the hospital since I pumped while my babies were in the NICU for 8 weeks.

6. I have two Graco highchairs but so far am feeding the babies in thier bouncy seats.

Good Luck!

21. raptwins

raptwins Well-Known Member

Welcome and congrats!!!
    1. Diaper bag - we used a tote style so I could bit a little bit of everything in it and only carry one bag. I still carry a purse separately sometimes but it doesn't bother me really.
    2/3. We used the co-sleeper for the first couple of weeks but the boys made so much noise that we moved them to their own cribs after that. They were just next door so we still heard them when they needed something [​IMG]
    4. We have the duoglider and matching seats and love it! Now that we're pregnant again it's a bit heavy but really not bad. I never even noticed it before.
    5. I bought a Medela pump in style and it worked great. Our boys were in the NICU for 3.5-4 mths so I used the hospital grade while I was there but at home the Medela worked great. Expensive, but worth it and I only BF until they were 6 mths.
    6. We bought the booster plastic high chairs that attach to regular chairs and love them! When they were just starting, I always fed them in their bouncy seats or in their swings. The swings were great as they reclined a bit and had a tray for finger foods too then once they mastered sitting up we started using the booster seats. Nice for traveling and easy to clean!

Our BRU offered a "class" that we took where they took us all around the store and showed us the top rated items, top sellers, and demonstrated everything for us so it was easier to register after that. Congrats again and good luck! Jen

22. excitedk

excitedk Well-Known Member

1. I have the eddie Bauer duffle type diaper bag and love it!! Can it double as a purse- no, but is it my purse when with the twins- yes!

2. I used the double bassinet and had them sleep seperatly, we swaddles so even when they napped together they didn't get real cozy next to each other.

3. We moved them to the nursery (and into cribs) at 5 months

4. We did the duoglider with one carseat from BRU and registered for the other carseat

5. I am breastfeeding and used a hospital grade pump (rented) for the first 4 weeks then switched to the Pump in Style Advanced (bought), I would rent the hospital grade for atleast the first month (helps your milk supply more than regular pumps)

6.We bought the booster seat type that straps onto your own chairs to save space- we still haven't used them- we feed them (once a day a few bites) in thier Bumbo's right now.

Goodluck and if you are unsure about things you can always buy used (we have huge twin sales where I live) and won't feel bad if you change your mind.

Kristi
    Molly and Zach 6 months

23. JDMummy

JDMummy Well-Known Member

Congrats!

1) We use a plain old backpack diaper bag with a cold pocket since we make our bottles ahead of time.

2) My twins slept in a Twin Pack N Play and then they moved to car seats in their crib, then a divider and then they moved to separate cribs at about 3 months.

3) 3 months, they were kicking each other and waking up.

4) This is a tough call. I had the duoglider and seats. Love the seats, hate the duoglider. Its WAY to heavy and bulky (its a land yacht) and the basket underneath is too small for shopping. (Yes we actually did a lot of that [​IMG]) We went with Double SNap N Go with seats and now we are using a Combi SBS. It weights 21 lbs and can go up and down two steps without putting out my back.

5) Tried it, miserably failed after too much pain, blockage, latching on problems... Sorry, wish I knew more. I would rent one from the hospital unless you are totally sure you will never give up.

6) We like the ones that completely fold. We wish we had them but ours are older cauz they belonged to my DS and his cousin.

Good luck!

24. bridget nanette

bridget nanette Well-Known Member

Like excitedk, we also had the eddie bauer duffly type bag, and we love it as well. It cannot double as a purse tho.

I loved my co-sleeper! We still use it as a playpen. It was especially useful when bfing. You just attach it to your bed, roll over and get one of the babies, nurse and there you go!

At first I used the hospital grade pump. I rented it for almost 3 months. (I should have made my decision to buy one quicker than that.) But I bought the Medela Pump in Style. It worked very well. I think it is the best one out there!

Congratulations on being pregnant with twins!

Bridget [​IMG]

25. Mommyof 2tg and 1ds

Mommyof 2tg and 1ds Well-Known Member

1)Our hospital was amazing and gave us these red backpacks with a cooler attatchment for diaper bags. The good part is that the dh is not embarassed to wear them and they are more than big enough for both the girls stuff plus a change of clothes for our ds in case he has an accident. Plus it leaves both hands free to take care of the babies.
    2)The girls shared a bassinet for the first 8 weeks and then a crib for the next 6 weeks and then we moved them to seperate cribs bc they began to roll on each other. If you get a spacey bassinet, it can last for a quite a while.
    3) They moved to thier room, right next to ours at 8 weeks.
    4)Just remember that the carrier style seats are only good til 20lbs and whatever stroller you get will probably have to last you until they are around 3 or older. Check durability, as well as ease of use and comfort.
    5)You are "going to try" to breastfeed. I would rent until you know it is right for you. It turned out that only one of my girls liked to breastfeed so one spent time on the boppy with a bottle, and one was attached to me. I would look at the bottle system you are going to use and find a compatible pump, not the other way around.
    6)We got the portable kind that attach to a regular chair and have 5 reclining positions, we bought them for $15, so they were cheap, plastic which is great for clean-up, and they have toy attachments, so if they finish before you they can play with these dishwasher safe toys. If you are getting high chairs, may I also suggest a floor mat which sells for like $5, so you dont have to clean the carpet or tile each time they eat, I just wash the mats at the end of the day.

26. lucky2

lucky2 Well-Known Member

Only have a minute but here are my thoughts:

We got the Orginal Co-Sleeper by Arms Reach and it worked really well. One of best purchases that I almost didn't make. The bassinet goes to 30lbs. They can't cuddle up to each other in the PNP twin.

My strollers of choice: Double Snap n Go all the way, great for shopping, even with my big babies I used it until 9 months nad it is light, light, light with a big basket for shopping. Worth the $99. I now use the Combi Twin Savvy for the mall and the BOB Dualie Revolution for walks. There is no one stroller that does it all.

I would hold on purchasing a breast pump. Insurance covered a rental of a hospital grade pump for me for 9 months and then gave me a brand new Pump in Style at no charge when I returned the other one. Definately wait and see and advoate for yourself in the hospital to get the rental.

Good Luck!

27. xCandacex

xCandacex Well-Known Member

quote:
    12)What did you have the twins sleep in for the first few months? A lot ofpeople recommend the pack-n-play, but the double one has two seperate bassinets(I want them to sleep together) and the weight limit on the regular pack-n-play bassinet seems low to hold the two of them.

Mine slept in a basinett together and then they were moved to 1 crib where they slept for a week until they started waking each other up and rolling around, then they were seperated to their own cribs. I do know you can buy a crib divider [​IMG]

3)When did you move them from your room to their own room? Crib? They went from the basinett in our room to 1 crib in the living room and then to their own seperate cribs in their bedroom at 2 months

Not really sure about the carseats. I was given 2 Saftey 1st carseats as gifts at my shower and then given a the saftey 1st double stroller that the carseats snapped into. The stroller lasted 6 months and fell apart so we bought the Graco DuoGlider and its fantastic.

Renting one from the hospital is obviously the best choice, you'll get a great hospital grade pumnp. Buying..it depends on how much you're able/willing to spend. They can run up to $500. I bought an Avent ISIS manual pump which worked great for me, but really its a matter of personal choice. The Avent ISIS was $99.99 but I found manual pumping boring (it was a fast pump though)
    Since the twins are the only babies I've ever had, I dont have any comparisons but we have 2 Graco ones. I want to get the kind that go on a regular chair and then convert to a booster seat when they're older..

28. greymom

greymom Well-Known Member

1) I have the Baby Bjorn backpack. It's really lightweight and expandable. I keep it packed and in the minivan at all times, so I don't have to tote it in and out of the house
    2)We had the Arm's Reach Co-sleeper. It's like a pack-n-play that attaches to the side of your bed. Don't get the mini size. The regular size is good for twins (can't remember the weight limit, but it's quite a bit more with the regular).
    3)Four months, I think? We put them in one crib in our room for about 2 weeks, then moved the crib down the hall. They slept together until they were about 5 months old.
    4)Hmm. I don't know much about travel systems. We had the Double Snap-and-Go - a metal frame that 2 infant car seats snap into. Cheap ($99) and really good.
    5) Yes, still breastfeeding here. The Medela Advanced Pump In Style is the best if you are buying one. If you think you will only be BF for 3-6 months, you may want to rent the hospital pump. But you may find that BF is enjoyable, easy, and cheap (free food, in fact! [​IMG]) that you may want to go longer. I think buying a breast pump is a good investment.
    6) I love the Reclining 3 stage feeder seat. It straps onto your kitchen chair. We bring them with us when we go to visit family for dinner.

HTH,
    Michelle

29. tdemarco01

tdemarco01 Well-Known Member

Hi there,

Congratulations on your twins! It's quite a wonderful experience -- taxing, but wonderful.

Here's my 2c re: your questions... My guess is you'll get a lot of opinions, here goes:

1) I used the Lands End Diaper backpack and yes, I put my wallet in it . I got this because I can put it on and it doesn't fall off my shoulder when I'm getting buckets out of the car, etc.
    2) We co=slept in our bed for 2 months and then transitioned them to a crib in our room (we nap them in the crib in their room now) I would have purchased an arm's reach co-sleeper if we opted for something different, pack and plays just didn't have the weight capacity so we've never purchased one. Mine sleep together still at 4 months.
    3) Still with us, but likely to move around 6 months... we'll see, they are startin to bother each othre in the crib now, so it getting thim in their own cribs may happen sooner, and therefore into their own room sooner.
    4) I use the baby trend snap and go, I like it for it's basket capacity as I grocery shop with the boys and it holds tons. and cup holders
    5) I exclusively feed my boys breastmilk, one at hte breast and one with bottles... I've rented a Medela Symphony, hospital grade pump and it's great. it's portable so I can take it in the car with me if need be and that's cool cuase in the beginning I needed to pump every 2 hours.... Keep in mind that the first 8 weeks or so are the hardest but if you get through that, you're smooth sailing.
    6) I leve4raged my mother of twins org to get cheap used highchairs .. you may want to do the same.

Good luck.

Teri D
    5)