Help! Positive fetal fibronectin!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by miraclemama, Feb 21, 2007.

1. miraclemama

miraclemama Active Member

I'm 30w2d, and I thought everything was going so great. I had a wonderful appountment with my OB on Monday - twin A is vertex and very low, both babies look great, and best of all my cervix was still closed. All excellent news, right? Until my doctor called tonight to tell me that my FFN from Monday was positive [​IMG].

I do have lots of BH contrax, pretty much every time I stand up I get one and they start in pretty strong when I try to walk more than 10 yards. They always go away when I sit down and since my cervix is still closed I haven't been asked to modify my activity level at all.

My doc is not really concerned, just wants me to pay more attention to my contractions. He still feels like everything is going to be OK - something about the chances only being less than 20% that I'll deliver within the next 2 weeks. But I'm freaked out! I'm not ready for them to come yet! We haven't even decided on names yet!

Please, if you have experiences with positive FFNs, I'd love to hear your story.

2. miraclemama

I'm 30w2d, and I thought everything was going so great. I had a wonderful appountment with my OB on Monday - twin A is vertex and very low, both babies look great, and best of all my cervix was still closed. All excellent news, right? Until my doctor called tonight to tell me that my FFN from Monday was positive [​IMG].

I do have lots of BH contrax, pretty much every time I stand up I get one and they start in pretty strong when I try to walk more than 10 yards. They always go away when I sit down and since my cervix is still closed I haven't been asked to modify my activity level at all.

My doc is not really concerned, just wants me to pay more attention to my contractions. He still feels like everything is going to be OK - something about the chances only being less than 20% that I'll deliver within the next 2 weeks. But I'm freaked out! I'm not ready for them to come yet! We haven't even decided on names yet!

Please, if you have experiences with positive FFNs, I'd love to hear your story.

3. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

Positive FFN test results are not as reliable as negative ones. Read the FAQs about it on the March of Dimes site.

quote:
    A negative fFN test result is a highly reliable predictor that delivery will not occur within the next two weeks. A positive result is a less reliable predictor of preterm labor: there is still a fair chance that the pregnancy will continue for at least another two weeks.

4. debby12766

debby12766 Well-Known Member

I have no experience with positive ffn's, but I wanted to wish you luck. I've heard rest and (even more!) fluids (like Gatorade) and protein shakes (like Boost) can help reduce the BH contractions.

PS I like your screen name; we are going to name one of our girls Cassidy after the song, even if my husband thought it would be too obvious.

5. twoin2005

twoin2005 Well-Known Member

Hi! I am just seeing this. So sorry that I didn't respond sooner.

I too had a positive fFN test at 28 weeks and was petrified, searching for answers. So I know how you feel!

I did not deliver until 6 weeks later, so the test is certainly no guarantee that you will deliver right away. I was having ptl issues, and was already on bedrest, but my doc had me put back in the hospital on bedrest just in case. Things were very stable though, and I was sent home three weeks later.

If I were you, I would try to take it easy, stay hydrated, and limit your activity level as much as possible. Hopefully, you will hang on for another month or so! It is certainly possible and I wanted to give you a little bit of hope that you actually CAN hold out!!!

6. Raneysmama

Raneysmama Well-Known Member

I'm sorry I don't have any experience with this, but my doctor did explain that a negative result is much more reliable than a positive one. Hope you can keep those babies in there for a while still. [​IMG]

7. Michelle B

Michelle B Well-Known Member

I have had to do a couple of fFN within the past 5 weeks. Don't know if your doctor mentioned it or if this applies to you.......but, having intercourse within 12 hours of the test can compromise the accuracy of the results.

8. Bruni

Bruni Well-Known Member

Mine was positive at about 31 weeks and my doctor was really freaked out - she made me stay in L&D overnight - very uncomfortable but I did not deliver until being induced at 38 weeks - I think it just is not that reliable with twins.

9. miraclemama

Thanks for all the words of encouragement. I still haven't had any changes in contractions. The plan is to repeat the test next Tuesday and see what the result is then.

One thing I remembered that is helping to ease my mind... on Monday, prior to having the specimen collected, I fell while walking on uneven pavement. My thought is that the fall could have caused one of the amniotic sacs to pull away from my uterus a bit, which is what leads to the presence of the fFN. I asked my doc about it and he agreed that it's a plausible scenario. That makes me feel a bit better - at least I have a potential reason for the positive, and it's one that would be totally benign.

Thanks again for the support, ladies [​IMG].