Help! Strange butt rash

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by LeeandJenn15, Dec 15, 2010.

1. LeeandJenn15

LeeandJenn15 Well-Known Member

For about the last 10 days, our 3 1/2 year old has had this rash on his butt. It's on both butt cheeks, about the size of my palm. It's very "clean": doesn't creep towards the crease or anything, just a round rash on the big fleshy part of each cheek. It's got a texture to it (like slightly raised flesh, not bumps, but bigger pieces of raised skin) and it's red (not crimson, but deeper than pink).

He's day-trained, but he does sleep in the Good Nights at night. He only takes a nap maybe once a week. So, maybe urine, but I don't know why it would have started just now? He's been in the Good Nights for about 6 weeks, so maybe it's them, and I could go back to the Nighttime pull-ups, but it would be surprising that it took so long for his skin to have the reaction - and only on the cheeks, not legs, or stomach, or anywhere else the Good Nights touch.

It doesn't seem to bother him, except in the shower - he says the warm water kind of hurts.

Same J&J soap as always, same laundry detergent, same food - can't think of anything new. We've tried Aquaphor, Cortizone (which stings), Neosporin, Desitin, leaving it alone, letting him go naked, nothing seems to improve it.

Anyone experienced this or have any ideas how to get rid of it?

2. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Could it possibly be yeast? Possibly from the wet goodnights at night. I would check with the ped. if it is a rash that you can't get rid of. Sounds like it could be a yeasty type rash that might need a prescription ointment (Nystatin).

3. LeeandJenn15

Thanks!! This is a great thought - we struggle with yeasty diaper rashes with the twins alot. I hadn't thought he could have one on his skin like that...we might try a little Lotrimin and see if that helps. I hadn't called the Pedi yet b/c I didn't think it really warranted a Dr visit, but if Lotrimin doesn't work, we'll probably have to go that direction.

4. AVAS

AVAS Well-Known Member

Had the same thing with one of mine. Big read blob on each buttock. After a long time of that some scratchy skin patches started cropping up on his tummy and back. Finally took him in and the Dr. said is was eczema. So now we keep it at bay with lots of lotion when he's still wet from the bath. He's doing pretty well.

5. paulacraft1

paulacraft1 Well-Known Member

we just had the same thing with my daughter, DEF from pullups.....we let her run around naked during the day putting lots of cortizone on it and it went away.....took her to dr, said it wasn't yeast.....said to try desitin for a few days first and if that didn't work (didn't) to try cortisone and that cleared it up, we are done with pullups, using overnight diapers....something in them causes this reaction that the diapers don't....

6. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

That is how DD's skin looks on her butt and thighs as an eczema flare starts. We now use the eczema lotion to keep her lubricated all day and it disappears. We also have had issues with DS and yeast. It could be either, so it looks like you might have to do a trial and error. With DD's eczema we had to figure out her trigger, which turned out to be a pair of pants with high polyester levels. Now she gets all cotton if possible and a lot of "naked time" at night to let her skin air out.

7. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

I would suggest trying Calmoseptine. It is in a green and white tube and you can buy it at CVS/Walgreens type places. It is typically behind the pharmacy counter, but you don't need a prescription. It works great.

8. LeeandJenn15

Thanks for all the replies!! The Lotrimin seemed to help a little, but it never cleared all the way up, and now it's gotten worse again. DD's butt has now gotten a little pimply, so we're trying to work on both. I think I'm going to try a little of all the posts, to figure out what it is. I know very little about eczema - didn't know it could develop in warm, wet places - thought of it as more of a dry skin issue.

9. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

hmm that's odd... but if the lotrimin did help some then you may need a stronger dosage. I would probably have the ped look at and they could also prescribe something. :grouphug:

10. snoopytwins

snoopytwins Well-Known Member

For all booty rashes...we do...lotrimin, triple antibiotic ointment and coat with lots of vasoline (twice a day)! It always has cleared up (it covers you for yeast, bacteria, and moisture/block). If that doesn't fix it, I'd guess you need something stronger or its ezcema (one of my boys had problems with ezcema on his legs).

11. Tamaralynn

Tamaralynn Well-Known Member

IF it is eczema, it would make sense that the cortisone would sting a little, means it is working some.

12. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

If you are PT, it is eczema. Do not put lotrimin on it. It is not yeast if it is coming up after potty trained. Yeast bumps are little raised pimply bumps. We have potty trained eczema here too. Use cortizone and a GOOD lotion!! :)

13. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

I took Cami to the pediatrician the other day for a weird rash. She had a bacterial rash. They gave her Keflex as an oral antibiotic and I am using a yeast cream. He said we could use Lotrimin or any athletes foot type cream. You may want to bring him in and have it checked. Her rash didn't hurt either. Good luck!!

Jen