HELP!!!!!! What do I do about this constant back pain????

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by KindredSpirits, Feb 26, 2007.

1. KindredSpirits

KindredSpirits Well-Known Member

OMG - This has been going on for 2-3 weeks now, and getting progressively worse. I have scoliosis, and I think that is contributing to this awful back pain I've been having. Or maybe it's just b/c I've grown so much since week 17.

Anyway, it's only on my left side and it hurts so bad it BURNS!!!! Mostly when I sit for a while, which makes life at work unbearable. I have brought pillows to work to help support my back, but it doesn't help. I've already left work early a few times b/c of this and cannot get any work done.
    Now it's beginning to affect my sleep b/c the pain sometimes wakes me up, no matter which side I sleep on. The only thing that helps in sleep is to lay on my back instead of my side which I'm trying not to do. I use my back n belly pillow every night and it USED to help but not so much anymore. I hate to complain, but it's REALLY bad. I can deal with the charlie horses that I get, and even the ligament pain, but this back pain is immobolizing and affects me in every way. I can't do a thing and it doesn't go away!!!! It just gets worse!!

My OB told me try heating pad, warm bath, and the prenatal cradle harness. Well, the heating pad didn't work, the warm bath or shower DOES work but it's only temporary and the prenatal cradle seems to work at home, but not at work where I have a desk job. It doesn't make an ounce of a difference there. Oh, and I tried both tylenol and tylenol w/codeine. None of them work.

WHAT CAN I DO?????????? I really can't live like this. It's too early to stop working and the babies themselves are doing great. Cervix, etc looked good last time I checked and I don't feel too much pelvic pressure. Whatever these babies are doing they're putting it all on my back................

Has anyone gone to a chiropractor or tried accupunture while pregnant?
    Or what if anything helps your back pain that I could try? I am DESPERATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

2. stbmo4

stbmo4 Well-Known Member

No help here, just really sorry that you are suffering so. I have not seen the chiro while preg, but I have friends who have/do and they say it helps them. I would run it by my OB first.

3. witmuch

witmuch Well-Known Member

i know that this works for me but you should check with your dr before you use it. i use Epsom Salts to bath in. this stuff works for muscle strains, pains, and even bowel problems. i only use it for external use but it is reall cheap and it's availible in the family dollar stores, dollar general stores, or any pharmacy store.

when i need to i soak in this stuff for 30 minutes. you can soak for as long as your dr tells you but i have found if i soak too long i am too relaxed to move and need help out of the tub--lol. i thought that this was just a southern remedy but when i hurt my back last year it was a really big pick me up. and for this pregnancy i love this stuff.
    i hope that this helps some. it's better than putting unneeded or unwanted drugs into your system.

lots of love!
    meshell

4. SilvrHeart

SilvrHeart Well-Known Member

I've had some very bad back pain in my mid-back, so I know how you feel. Massage has helped me get some relief, but I haven't crossed the chiro off my list of possibilities. I just want to use that as my last resort. Everything I've read suggests chiropractic care is safe for pregnant women and may even be helpful in a number of ways. But, like a pp said, I would run the idea past my ob first.

hope you feel better!

5. 2kidsplus2

2kidsplus2 Active Member

I did physical therapy with my first pregnancy (for sciatica) and it helped IMMENSELY! I'd give that a try or try the chiropractor (who is experienced with pregnancy).

It probably won't make it any worse and might just help a bit [​IMG]

Good luck!
    --Krista

6. cajuntwinmom

cajuntwinmom Well-Known Member

I went to a chiropracter when I was pregnant. It helped a lot. I didn't go later in my pregnancy cause I was just so uncomfortable and stubborn, but I kind of wish I would have because I had a shooting pain under one of my ribs in the back.

Make sure you get a chiropracter that has experience with pregnancy experience.

7. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

I did see a chiro while pregnant in my 5th month, and later told the OB and he got mad at me... he said not to do that because your bones are so loose during pregnancy they can easily break if the chiro does something wrong.

The pain could be from Scoliosis, Or maybe it is just that you are carrying twins? [​IMG]

Hang in there!!

I am having lower back pains, and the only thing that seems to sooth it is laying down as much as possible.

8. Zabeta

Zabeta Well-Known Member

I had accupuncture early on for morning sickness (didn't work at ALL, but then even the zofran just kept me out of the hospital), and I will go back if/when the sciatica kicks in. I did ask my OB first, and they didn't have any problem with it (they consider me technically high risk because of my age, but otherwise healthy - each OB will have their own risk threshold), BUT I would never go to an any practitioner who hadn't had plenty of experience with pregnancy, and maybe additional experience with multiples/high-risk pregnancies.

9. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

I would do some research to find a PT and/or a chiropractor that has experience w/pregnancies. I agree w/previosu poster, don't just go to anyone - ask your doc if s/he can recommend someone. A lot of medical docs don't trust chiros - but then they don't trust anything they consider 'alternative', so it's a question of what your threshold is.

also, you mentiond that it's too early to stop working; i dont' know where you work, but you might want to look into what the disability situation is: if you have a pre-existing condition (scoliosis) and are incapacitated, perhaps your doc can write you a note and you can get disability? My doc offered to do this w.me becuase i had hyperemesis and spent four months puking; unfortunately in this case i'm self=employed, but i'd definitey look into it for you. No need for you to be miserable for another 20 weeks~

10. KindredSpirits

KindredSpirits Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the suggestions. I will do the following:

Buy Epsom salts for bath time
    Talk to my OB about the accupuncture, physical therapy and chiropractor, leaving the chiropractor as last resort.

Also, I did notice when I wear my bra looser (of course now not supporting my boobies like it should) that the pain is less. When I wear my bra so my boobies are nice and firm, it hurts more....So I will give up on vanity and my hopes for keeping my breasts as firm as possible and wear my bra looser going forward.... It's not the cure yet, but it helps in the meantime. I go to see my OB next week......I'll see if I can hold off that long or if I will be making a desperate phone call before then [​IMG]