Help! Where would you look for a MIA library book?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by TwinsInOkinawa, Sep 29, 2011.

1. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

I've looked in all the usual places, under beds, in closets, in bags, in the toys for an MIA library book of the girls. They are usually really good about putting them back in the "library spot", but this is their favorite book and I presume it went somewhere special in the house to read. I can't find it for the life of me, and the girls, who usually know where it is if I don't, aren't any help.

So, where's the strangest place your kids have put a book? I'm down to no where else to look! I figure as soon as we pay for it, it'll turn up!

Thanks!

2. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

3. sulik110202

sulik110202 Well-Known Member

We have a sectional sofa and found books between the pieces. I also found a book between DS's mattress and box spring. He said he was keeping is safe. I just found a long lost library book last night behind their bookcase. Happy hunting!

4. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Closet. Mine like to sit in the closet and play or read. Or the bathroom.

5. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Under the couch, behind the couch, behind or under the bed, behind or under the dresser, in dresser drawers, closets, DVD drawer, we have a storage ottoman and I've found many lost things in there, between the matresses, car, any bags that could have gone places (totes, backpaks, etc.). Good luck! I hate trying to find stuff, it drives me crazy!

ETA: Oh, my kids haven't taken books outside, but I've found plenty of things they forgot out in the backyard and usually it's on their playset.

6. jsmith

jsmith Active Member

My mom once had to pay the library to replace a book that she lost. At least 5 years later she found it in the fishing tackle box. :lol:

7. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

Good Luck! Here is what I've learned the hard way. :blush: Is it already late? Renew it as long as you can. Our library allows two renewals as long as no one has put a hold on it. If you can't find it and you're out of renewals, call/email today to tell them it is lost. I'm sure it varies - but at our library they will stop the late fines the day you contact them to say it is lost. You do have to pay for it, but if you find it later you can return it and get most of your money back. (they charge a fee, which I think is $5) That will stop the late fees from building up.

8. Dielle

Dielle Well-Known Member

And with our library, if you ask, the librarians can renew an extra time if there aren't holds on it. I agree about having them post that it's lost, once you've maxed out the renewals. If it really is lost, you don't want to have to pay for the book and all the late fees. I once found a book behind a dresser 2 years after I'd paid for it. We just kept it at that point. But here if you find it within 6 months of paying for a lost book, you can get your money refunded.

9. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

omg i'm going thru the same thing right now!!! i renewed the book cuz i can't find it and dont' want to pay late fines just yet. i've looked everywhere!

10. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

In their beds. In kitchen cabinets. In kitchen and bathroom drawers. In the refrigerator. Good luck!.

11. TwinsInOkinawa

TwinsInOkinawa Well-Known Member

Thanks for all the ideas! I've now reorganized closets, cleaned under beds, and emptied the cars! Better than flylady! Then, my MIL come back today from a week long vacation, and says "hey, do you recognize this book?". It was in HER car. So, at least it's found.

I didn't know about the returning afterwards or asking for an extended renewal, I'll keep that in mind for when I'm sure it'll happen again.

12. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Car. Gets ya everytime! I'm glad you found it-and got some organization done in the process!