Help With Daycare Rates Please

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by cm301263, Feb 21, 2015.

1. cm301263

cm301263 Well-Known Member

I am checking into a daycare for my sons to attend this summer when school is out.

When inquiring about prices, I was told it was based on what the parents could afford......Well I don't even have the faintest idea what the going rates are for daycare services as my boys have never been in a daycare.

I realize that rates can vary by location but I would be interested in know what everyone pays for their daycare...hourly rates would help me more than by the week etc...

Thanks!

2. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Another option might be Day Camp.  Many now offer before and after care, and the prices are comparable with daycares, and the kids have more fun.  Another option, which in my area is cheaper than daycare, is to see if your school offers a summer program.

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

My kids were in daycare last year all year (before going to preK this year).  The place did not offer hourly or daily rates, but we paid $280 a week for both kids and that included lunch and breakfast.  There are some places around here that charge daily, and most of them are around $50-$60 a day for two kids.

The place did offer a sliding scale for parents who made below 40K, but we were paying the full rate so it didn't matter for us, and I didn't pay attention to what those rates were.

4. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I'll attach the rates for the daycare we will use when the time comes. It's based off income level. Keep in mind, though, this is a military rate so it's a little cheaper than out in town, but not much.

Attached Files:

5. cm301263

Thank you I appreciate the attachment! I assume this is for an 8 hr day?

6. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

It's probably closer to 12 hours.  Military has crappy hours.  The facility is open 5 am to 6 pm. 

7. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We pay $3/hr with a discount for multiple kids that ended up being around $8/hr when all 3 were in daycare. Ours is a private school so no meals are included.

8. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

We pay just over $400 a week for the twins and Ellie (half or close is Ellie and the other half is the before and after care for the twins). Open 6:30 to 6:30. Lunch and two snacks included.

9. mama_dragon

mama_dragon Well-Known Member

$450 per week for 2.  Includes breakfast, 2 snacks and lunch.  Our state is ranked among the highest for daycare cost.  Lucky us.

Edit: and that cost is with a multiple kid discount.

10. cm301263

Thanks for the replies everyone! Blows my mind how expensive it is!

11. lharrison1

lharrison1 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

For full time care I pay $35 per day per kid-(this is an in home daycare provider) she provides breakfast, lunch and a snack.  I pay her bi-weekly and I pay for a predetermined amount of vacation/holidays and payment is still expected even if my kids miss days.  I think this is pretty typical pay range in my area (Kansas).

12. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Are you sure your kids school doesn't offer summer program? My kids school does. They usually do art, outdoor activities and field trips(museums, water parks, parks, farms,..) even for 3 yr old program.
    If you live close to the Y, u can check out it's summer program as well. I prefer school or YMCA summer programs over daycare centers. At least, kids will have lot of fun, being outdoor and playing sports and getting educated about nature at parks.
    Our school charges about $60/ days for both kids, but we have to pack or buy lunch tickets separately. We pay more for field trip days and fees. My kids love summer program. They don't want to stay home. Good luck!

13. lauwss

lauwss Well-Known Member

We move from city to city and from state to state quite often. so, we always have to find a new school and a new daycare for our kids. I usually read reviews and ask people.

14. BillShiphr

BillShiphr Well-Known Member

I would also recommend you to ask friends and colleagues. From my side, I can recommend you a reliable place in New York City. Here is the website of a Kindergarten Brooklyn where both of my kids go to https://littlescholarsnyc.com/. You can find all the information you need there. I can say that I am totally satisfied with the organization. We have the best daycare provider who is always nice to everyone. My kids have classes to prepare for school and they also do a lot of fun activities there. The food is great and they also pay attention to the cleanliness of all the area.