Help with taking medicine.

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Katheros, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

My son will be 3 the beginning of November.  He caught impetigo from his older brother because the only thing they willingly share is germs.  

Any genius tips on how to get a stubborn, only wants to do what he wants to do, 3 year old to take antibiotics?  I've tried bribing, taking everything away until the medicine is gone, etc.  He's been screaming since 8:30 this morning when his dose was due.  Hasn't taken a dose.  I've wasted one dose so far today.  Looks like he'll have this infection for the rest of his life at this rate.

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What about letting him give him self the dose with you supervising?  I have done that with my girls but they were a little older than 3.  I did have pink antibodies on the ceiling before I redid my kitchen from trying to get Dani to take antibodies, before we started letting her push the plunger down.

3. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Does bribery work? I remember injecting antibiotics into marshmallows once. Sigh.

1 person likes this.
  4. Katheros

I've tried giving it to him in the little cup and he won't take it.  Bribery just ends up in screaming fits because I'm not giving him the cookie RIGHT NOW.  Still no luck in taking this morning's dose.  I'll try seeing if he'll use the plunger thingie, maybe he'll think that's cool or something.

5. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Have you asked him how he would like to take his medication? Write down all his suggestions along with yours (even the ridiculous ones and the ones you already know you're going to veto). Make some crazy suggestions of your own, like he has to lay down in the bathtub every time he takes his meds. Then go through the list together and decide which way works for everybody.

We do this for family problem solving but I think it would work just one on one too.

6. gina_leigh

gina_leigh Well-Known Member

At that age mine like using the big medicine dropers. I think we had roughly a million of those from the pharmacy. They did okay using those. 

And there was one time when I literally sat with Jason between my legs. His head closest to me and my legs over his arms and legs, pining him down. That was for eye drops, but it was the only way we could do it. 

7. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The big medicine droppers have always worked wonders for me. I would tell mine, close your eyes, hold your nose and open your mouth.  I have a cup of water handy for them to drink afterwards so they can get the taste out faster.  

8. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

We use the syringes from Target.  Letting him give himself the dose helps, and we sometimes do 1/2 a mL at a time.  Also, we follow with lemonade chasers, so for every "squirt" he gets a drink of lemonade.  By the time the 10 days are up, he usually can do it in 1 or 2 squirts as opposed to 10.

9. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

Can you get the medicine flavored?

10. Katheros

We've been mixing it with his morning and evening drink.  Seems to be working so far...

11. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

Another vote for the plastick syringes.

12. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

We used to use syringes for meds when they were little. Now they take it from med cups.

I am kinda tough mom. I told them if they didnt cooperate, I would push them down, pinch their noses and inject med in their mouths. Or they would do it themselves. After couple fights, they always did it themselves. No candy whatsoever was given after med.

Btw, antibiotics usually is sweet and has different flavors. I do let them pick the flavor if it has options. Good luck!