Herniated Umbilical Cord

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by knorts, Jun 29, 2007.

1. knorts

knorts Well-Known Member

I think my DS has a herniated umbilical cord. He has a MAJOR outtie (and I am talking it looks like a third nipple ;) I looked it up on-line and it doesn't sound serious as long as it isn't hard (which his is not). Has anyones children every had one, and if so, how long did it take to go away? Or...did you have to have surgery on it? Doesn't seem to bother him at all, so I am wondering if I can just wait until his next apt. to show it to the doctor.

2. KellyJ

KellyJ Well-Known Member

Two of my 3 children had umbilical hernias and both resolved on their own. I think they are mostly nothing to worry about unless (like you said) they become hard, painful or incredibly large. Most resolve by one year of age an most doc's don't worry about it until then. My 3 yr old's hernia was huge and poked out so far when he cried! It's gone and he actually doesn't have an "outie" at all any more. I think if it seems small, non-painful and soft (fluid-filled) you should be fine waiting to see the doctor. Do keep a close eye on it though. Good luck.

Kelly

3. EmmaKay

EmmaKay Well-Known Member

Declan had a huge one, poked out REALLY far, especially when he cried. The pedi checked it every time we went in, and said that as long as it wasn't hard, it wasn't something to worry about, and would resolve itself. She was right--it resolved at about 5-6 months. Definitely have the pedi keep an eye on it when you go in for your regular checkups, but if it's not "hard", I would try not to worry too much in the interim. HTH!

4. NYCmom

NYCmom Well-Known Member

Ditto the pp -- one DD had one that was huge (DH called it the "Dark Tower" -- bonus points to anyone who gets that reference!) and it was gone by 5-6 months.

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My 8 year old had one that would sometimes stick out, sort of turn inside out almost? but then we could kind of work it back in & it wouldn't stick out so much any more. Really weird. Anyway, I'm not sure how long it took but it's definitely gone now & she never needed surgery. The doctor said we just had to keep an eye on it, most heal on their own.

6. noahandjacobsmom

noahandjacobsmom Well-Known Member

My Jacob had one the pedi said it should be no big deal. It is now gone!!!

7. Eyler07

Eyler07 Well-Known Member

Our boys did the sam ething. It stuck out when they cried or strained. Our ped said it could be the formula problem that we were having b/c the boys were straining to go to the bathroom and crying whenever they would drink. So we changed formulas and it went away. Good Luck, see if you can notice when it happens more and pinpoint the problem.

8. veggiehead

veggiehead Well-Known Member

My story is a bit different...I got one from being pregnant and, actually, I am having it repaired on Monday! :)() Hernias (at least for adults) do not repair themselves, so they require surgical repair. My belly button sticks out so bad even a band aid doesn't help it!?! It is funny, but I am ready to get it fixed. It is an open surgery, not arthroscopic...the scarring is minimal, so that is what they say.

My sister was born with an umbilical hernia and she also had it repaired years ago. I am not sure about your baby's hernia, but you do want your doctor to check it out.

Jen

9. geaemama

geaemama Well-Known Member

Elouise had one - it got better at about five months.

Angel

10. kimr

kimr Well-Known Member

We noticed Natalie's umbilical hernia after she was home for a couple of weeks. I did make a special trip to the dr. for it, since I wasn't sure if everything was okay (I was a bit of a worry wart after just getting her home from the nicu after 6 weeks). He told us it was an umbilical hernia and that it should go away after a while and if it didn't resolve itself by age 2 then we could talk about surgery. Well it hasn't really gone away, its quite large. So Natalie is going to be having some eye surgery and we are going to talk to our pedi about having the umbilical hernia corrected at the same time.