He's getting COAL!

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by MNTwinSquared, Dec 13, 2013.

1. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Evan goes to kindergarten every other day/all day.  The last two days (Wednesday and today, Friday) he has had to go to the 'stop & think' room for hitting.  First was another student.  Today it was his para (he has a 1:1) teacher.  :(  I have discussed with him the incident from Wednesday.  Then the next day he goes he hits again.  :(  I did warn the principal last year that he will be spending time in her office. 

Evan is 'on the autism spectrum' and has an IEP (individual education plan).  He has a para because his IEP from preschool said he should.  He is a kid who 'just doesn't seem to care.'  I am so frustrated.

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Jackie, does he have a behavioral plan in place? That may help legally as well as give both you and the school a compass for how to handle hitting. You are a great mom. :hug:

3. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Jackie, I am sorry :hug:  I agree with Michelle does the school have a behavioral plan in place with him?

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

My first thought is that is there a way he could go every day?  For kids on the spectrum, consistency is important, and the every other day may be too much transition for him.  I know that Jon did much better when he was in school 5 days a week with a consistent plan.  These kids also are impulsive and act without thinking, so while he may "know better", the impulsivity overrides his brain function, if you know what I mean.  The key is with this kids is always a consistent schedule and discipline plan.

Hope this helps,
    Sharon

5. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

That was my first thought.

Also, see if there is a certain 'trigger' that sets him off (time of day, person, event, activity, transition, etc). See if maybe some sensory 'heavy work' woudl help alleviate some of the physical contact and/or if he has support from the school social worker for social skills/social stories.

This time of year is so rough on many kids that are on the spectrum…the changes in decorations, events, hustle/bustle, of the season really sets makes it hard for them to settle and/or control impulses.

6. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I'm a para in a 1:1 room.  I agree with everything the others have said about routine.  I also would look for those precipitating factors.  Look and see if there is a pattern.

I would also agree that this is a very difficult time of year for our "routine" kids.  The things we think of as "fun", class parties, decorations, movies, just don't fit into their routine.  At the end of the school year last year, most of our kids were really upset because they didn't have the time sense to understand that we would come back after summer break.  Christmas break can also be upsetting because they don't understand when they'll be back.

My other thought is that possibly he just might have a need to hit something.  We used to have a profoundly autistic girl who was almost non-verbal.  One of the few words she had was "bite".  She was telling us that she needed to bite something so we would give her a chew stick to bite on.  We also have a sensory room where some of our adhd kids can get the wiggles out on a trampoline we have.  Perhaps you all can give him something it's okay to hit while working with him to give him other tools.  We had a hitter last year that did better once we figured out that he needed basketball breaks in the gym inbetween pe classes.  He just had to get a lot of pent-up energy out somewhere and he had a level of frustration from having expressive delays.  Expressive delays + pent-up energy = hitting.   Without knowing Evan and seeing him in the circumstances it would be hard to know what the right answer is.  Just stick with it and think creatively.

Marissa