high chair vs booster seat at restaurants

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lio&ella, Aug 9, 2011.

1. lio&ella

lio&ella Active Member

Okay, so my kiddos seam to big to be in a high chair at a restaurant. So we tried the booster seats. BIG mistake. Most booster seats are just the plastic seat that sets (doesnt attach) on the chair. The kids just do not sit still! One totally fell off the chair booster and all. And the other wouldnt sit still in the chair - kept trying to climb up and down, up and down, up and down . . . You get the point! If we dont use the booster seat, they have to kneel on the chair and then they push the chair over with their feet. Ugh! If we sit in a booth its the same thing - the booster seat "slides" under the table usually with the kids on it. So they both fall under the table. Or they have to kneel and they just wont sit still. They stand, turn around, play peek a bo with the other guests. And we spend most of our meal, saying over and over "please sit down, turn around, dont stand up, youre going to fall off the booster if you keep squirming". It never ends! My kiddos are 27 months by the way. What do you guys do?

2. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I only use a booster seat in a booth. I found out Cracker barrel has the type that actually straps to the chairs so those are ok. Everywhere else, I let them sit in a chair without anything on it, to eat.

3. cjk2002

cjk2002 Well-Known Member

For us, it was not until they were over 3 that I felt comfortable with them sitting on a booster or in a booth. Prior to that, they would do exactly what you described and I also put them in high chairs. Yes, they looked too big for them, but it was much easier. They understood that it was time to eat and not play when they were put into them.

At 3 1/2, we can now go out and have them sit in a chair or in a booth without a booster and they will sit still and eat.

4. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

We've never used their boosters (same thing, too dangerous), and stopped using the high chairs when they turned 2... but yes, they don't stay in place much at all unfortunately, but at least they don't directly bother the other guests... We don't go out much anymore and only in kid friendly places now.

5. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We bought and then brought our own. Best money we ever spent!!! I tell anyone and everyone to put it on their registry. We bought a Fisher Price booster seat, and then bought a second one. I put them up against the wall in the booth and they sat in them from about 8/9 months until almost two. There is a tray that attaches as well, as well as straps to attach to a chair. Less food on the floor of restaurants, less chance of servers spilling drinks or hot food on them, and less people touching them! And they were used as highchairs wherever we went-friends houses, weddings, etc. They never left my back seat! And now when we have friends over, they are convenient for their kids now! :)

6. ECUBitzy

ECUBitzy Well-Known Member

This is what my friend Jessica does and I think it's genius! I think we're about to transition to boosters as well and I plan to get two spares to keep in our family vehicle.

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

We never really used boosters. By the time they were too big for high chairs, they could kneel on a chair or in a booth. The boosters always just fell over, or they would try to stack them or play with them.

My twin nephews, who will be 4 in November, are still in high chairs in restaurants. It just keeps them contained much better, and they know that they do not get down until they're done eating.

8. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We haven't used either since before the girls were 2. They never wanted to stay in the boosters or highchairs so we just stopped using them. Now they'll sit or kneel on the chair/booth to eat. And nope, they don't usually sit still until the meal is done but we've set the boundary that they can play under the table if they want, but they can't wander/run around the restaurant. As for checking out the other guests, I usually try & gauge whether it's annoying the other person or not - if it is, I tell the girls that that person wants their privacy & to keep their eyes to themselves. The girls are big into the concept of privacy right now, so that works pretty well. Otherwise, I think it's nice for them to talk to the other people around them - it's friendly.

9. slugrad1998

slugrad1998 Well-Known Member

We still use high chairs when we go out at 25 months. My son would never sit still otherwise!

10. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

We have our kids kneel and sit at a booth. They are a little squirmy, but I think it's fine for the most part. We don't eat out very often with the kids, though. We go to In 'n Out once in awhile and that's about it.

11. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

We use the high chairs provided by the restaurants. They are starting to use the boosters ok, but lately, Kiefer has this need to be on my lap during meals and it's hard to keep him from climbing on me after I tell him "No." They will sit still otherwise in a booster. They still fit in the high chairs and they are just much easier for us. The straps are getting a bit tight. They are getting better at not trying to climb out and just sitting on the high chairs without complaints. At home, they will not sit in the normal chairs for long without getting out. IF they like the food, they'll sit and eat until they are done, but in a restaurant, they often finish first and I just know they'll try to climb all over the place making it impossible for us to eat. Once I'm able to get them to sit still at the table even after they are finished their meals, I'll take then to a restaurant and let them sit in a chair there.

12. JennyR

JennyR Well-Known Member

We hit a phase right around the age of your kids where we just couldn't go out to eat with them to a "real" sit-down restaurant. They had grown out of the high chairs, boosters were no use and they wouldn't sit still long enough in a booth. We ended up doing mostly fast food joints for a while -- Chick-fil-A, Baja Fresh and the like. It lasted about 6 months and then we were able to start taking them back. At first, it was trial runs in REALLY family friendly restaurants, such as Red Robin. Even now that they are almost 4, I still try to get a booth if at all possible. It is so much easier to keep everyone contained and occupied. But, they will sit on their knees in a chair without too much trouble. My other suggestion is to bring lots of activities with you. Quiet toys and small snacks. Snacks for before the food arrives if they are getting rowdy and toys for after they've finished eating.

Good luck!!!

Jenny