hip dislocation because babies were breech?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by wascmac, Jun 21, 2011.

1. wascmac

wascmac New Member

I have newborn twin girls who are now 8 weeks old. They were born via csection due to them both being breech. Our pediatrician told us that they need an ultrasound done on their hips to make sure there was no dislocation. She said its recommended to any twins born csection due to being breech. I'd never heard of this before and was just wondering if anyone else had heard of this or had to have it done. Thanks!!

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I know that they check all babies hips at WBVs for dysplasia - they gently rotate the hips in a circular kind of motion & listen for clicks. Breech babies are more likely to have hip issues because of positioning in utero, and then all the pushing & pulling & stretching during birth. Here's an article that offers a good overview of hip dysplasia & the treatments available if it is diagnosed.

3. Heathermomof5

Heathermomof5 Well-Known Member

CONGRATULATIONS on your sweet babies!!!!!! And welcome to TS!!!!!

My twins were born by c section due to baby A being breech - b was transverse. No one ever mentioned anything like that to me.

4. twinmom2dana

twinmom2dana Well-Known Member

My baby B was delivered breech vaginally and they did mention it and monitored it for a while but he turned out fine.

5. monica77

monica77 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Don't panic, everything should be fine. Both my babies were breech and they sent us to have ultrasounds for their hips. They told us this is the standard procedure for all babies born breech. Everything was OK, Vanessa had to be checked twice, because they said the hip was immature, but everything was fine.

I hope everything will be fine with your babies also and congratulations on having the twins.

Monica

6. Rollergiraffe

Rollergiraffe Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The dr. checked my breech guy out every visit we had until he was about a year. Being breech just means that it's an increased risk, but it's still not really common. It's good that they're checking everything out though, always good to have a dr. who is on top of things :)

7. KeriU

KeriU Well-Known Member

Congrats on the babies!

My twins and my singleton were all breech and I never had nor was requested to have an ultrasound done on them. The pedi did/do check their hips at every dr. visit though.

8. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Ditto!

9. w101ttd

w101ttd Well-Known Member

Congrats! Don't worry. It's good that you have them checked out. Nobody ever mentioned that to me. My boy was breech. He did have hip muscle weakness which he outgrew it. It's not that big deal even they had it. Like ppl said not very breech baby has it... So relax and enjoy your babies

10. lizzbeech

lizzbeech Guest

My pediatrician is a very cautious one and he ordered a brain and hip u/s for our twins -- who weren't even breech. lol

11. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your babies! My girls were breech and born via c-section. We had to bring them for u/s to check for hip dysplagia. We had to bring M a second time to make sure she was fine. She was, just a very bendy kid (even now at 4).

12. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

Mine did not have this come up, but I have heard of it being more common in breech babies. I'm sure they are just being extra cautious--and that's a good thing!

13. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

it could also have to do with the type of breech they were - if their feet were up to their head (being bent in half basically) or if they were cross legged basically sitting on your cervix...

I had a friend whose baby was vertex and had hip dysplasia and had to wear a hip brace - even though she was vertex she was straight legged!

14. megkc03

megkc03 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I don't recall an u/s, but Anthony had a sachral dimple on his back, so I think that was probably covered as well(his hips), as he was breech. My friend had her daughter via c/s and she was breech-and she had a dislocated hip. She's fine, there's nothing they did for it. She just went to Shriner's every few months to be sure everything was going well. I think now at 2, she may have been given the all clear.

Congratulations on your twins! :wub:

15. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

Only my baby B was breech and our pediatrician never recommended a hip ultrasound, however, my niece was born via c/s because she was breech and she had to have a hip ultrasound. I went with my sister when they had it done and it was super easy, quick, and painless :)

16. murtygirl

murtygirl Well-Known Member

My breech baby did have a hip us...they said it was standard procedure for all breech babies:) Hope this eases your mind

17. rtj

rtj Well-Known Member

It is very common to monitor girl babies as they are at risk- even when not breech. Both my girls had ultrasounds- one had multiple. It is great to do ultrasounds before 5 months b/c there is no radiation. After 5 months, the bone growth makes it too hard to measure via ultrasound so they have to do x-rays. So, if your dr. is monitoring now, that's great!

My friend's dr. never monitored her daughter (singleton and not breech) and nothing was found until she started trying to walk- had to go into a full body cast at 14 months!!

I highly recommend all parents of girl twins to make sure they stay on top of this. One of my girls had slight hip dysplasia which seemed to correct itself according to the orthopedist- but now, at 10 months, she's crawling funny and not bearing weight normally and so we're off to physical therapy.

18. aquickworld

aquickworld Well-Known Member

My Baby B was breech delivered vaginally and we had to take her at 6wks of age for an ultrasound of her hips. It's just standard protocal for most Dr's. Don't worry about it!:p

19. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My breech A had to have an x-ray at 6 weeks for this, too. It wasn't a big deal and his hips were fine.

HLH.

20. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

Pretty normal. My little sister was born without hip sockets and had to wear a brace till they formed. She has other issues though too

21. rachel7628

rachel7628 New Member

My Baby B was breech and she just had the hip ultrasound at 6 months. It was completely painless and no big deal. Congratulations on your babies!

22. Daseechain

Daseechain Well-Known Member

Congratulations!!! My singleton was not breech, but was born via c section. None of the doctors or nurses caught her loose hips while we were in the hospital, but on the very first pediatrician appointment, when she was 4 days old, her doctor caught that her hips were clicking out of place on both sides. We were sent to a pediatric orthopedist and by the time she was 3 weeks, she was in a full body brace that had her legs in a frog like position. Being a first time mom (and my DH deploying), I was a complete wreck. I had to drive 45 minutes every week to have her checked so the pediatric orthopedist could adjust her brace and 8 weeks later, she was completely out of the brace. It was scary, but if it had not been caught, she would have needed major hip surgery when she was 1. She would not have been able to walk until it was corrected. They also told me that if it wasn't caught, she would have faced issues throughout her whole life, maybe even needing a new hip by the time she was 20!

I am a firm believer in getting the ultrasound done. Apparently, it is hereditary and common in girls. I had amazing doctors who not only took care of her, but took care of me as well. The pediatric orthopedist also examined my boys when they were born, which he was not supposed to see a patient without a referral from their doctor.

It is scary, but the treatment when they are young is completely pain free and it is so much better to find out when they are young. And it was super easy changing her diaper!!!

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Sara