Hiring a maid

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Mommyof 2tg and 1ds, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Mommyof 2tg and 1ds

Mommyof 2tg and 1ds Well-Known Member

What all do they usually do?
    What do they cost?
    I just can't keep up anymore. I am almost 23 weeks pregnant with our 4th and the girls are going to be 9 months on Sunday, plus I have a 3 year old. I am going through mild PPD and I refuse to take depression meds while being pregnant. The OB said that I just need some stress lifted and maybe it would go away on its own. The thought of cleaning makes me want to crawl in a corner, and the looks of the mess make me want to do the same.

2. Mommyof 2tg and 1ds

What all do they usually do?
    What do they cost?
    I just can't keep up anymore. I am almost 23 weeks pregnant with our 4th and the girls are going to be 9 months on Sunday, plus I have a 3 year old. I am going through mild PPD and I refuse to take depression meds while being pregnant. The OB said that I just need some stress lifted and maybe it would go away on its own. The thought of cleaning makes me want to crawl in a corner, and the looks of the mess make me want to do the same.

3. doubledownmom

doubledownmom Well-Known Member

mine come every other week. There are 3 of them that come and they just really "deep clean" the house. I like that there are 3 of them b/c they finish faster. It costs me $70 each time they come. I really like it, it has helped us out a lot. No more stupid fights with my husband about who is cleaning the bathrooms...on the "off" weeks that they don't come I just wipe down the bathrooms, kitchen etc....hope that helps!

4. tdemarco01

tdemarco01 Well-Known Member

I'd ask your friends around town and co-workers etc for a recommendation. I've had great luck with independent cleaners and not the big businesses who have different people parading through every week. I've always found mine through word of mouth.

I pay $125 every other week and have a 3600 sq ft house with 3 bathrooms. ( i consider that pretty cheap around Boston)

Teri D

5. Sofiesmom

Sofiesmom Well-Known Member

I have 3 Polish cleaning ladies. They used to come every other week but in October (when I was close to 32 weeks) they started to come every week. I pay $80 for 1 1/2 - 2 hours (3 people) but live in the big city. They work incredibly fast though. We have a 4bed/3bath duplex.

6. Col

Col Well-Known Member

My cleaning lady comes every other week as well, for $100. We have a 2900 sq ft home with 4 beds, 2 1/2 baths in NJ. She does an incredible job and is TOTALLY worth it. I don't think of her as an indulgence at all--with 3 kids & a dog, she's a necessity! I found her by asking friends and neighbors and then called her references.

Good luck finding someone!

7. Stephanie M

Stephanie M Well-Known Member

Mine comes every other week. I pay $75 for 2-3 ladies. Matter of fact, they are cleaning now while I'm typing. We said we would cancel the service once I stayed home; however, neither my husband nor I have the energy to deep clean.

8. Mommyof 2tg and 1ds

Thanks everyone. We have a big house too, about 2700sqft not counting the basement, which I could care less if that is clean or not. I don't know anyone in the area that has a maid, but I figured I could do some cold calls and price comparisons, maybe ask for references. Thanks again.

9. KrisV

KrisV Well-Known Member

We have someone come every other week for $80. Well worth it!

10. NicoleT

NicoleT Well-Known Member

We have someone come every other week and she charges $50 per visit. She dusts, vacuums, does everything in the bathroom- sinks, tub, toilet, floors and everything in the kitchen- sink, stove, floors, etc.. She also does window sills, baseboards and blinds. Once per month she wipes down the inside of the fridge.

She has been a life saver and I wish we would have hired her a long time ago.

11. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

We have a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bathroom house with a lot of carpet and a lot of tile. My cleaning lady usually comes with one other person. She charges $75 a week and she comes every other week. She doesn't do laundry and doesn't really do dishes although if she sees some in the sink, she will put them in the dishwasher for me (She happens to really love my girls and is always buying stuff for them so she goes out of her way to often do extra things for me). She vacuums the whole house and mops all the floors, cleans the showers and the tubs, toilets, sinks, countertops, stove, dusts, cleans the glass tables and the glass doors, and cleans the stainless steel appliances. She ask that I have paper towels available for her although sometimes she comes with her own. I think it is important to get help in ANY way you need it. If having someone come and clean your house will help relieve any part of your stress then of course it's worth it. You will feel so much less pressure and be able to relax and just spend time with your kids. GL!!

12. hudsonfour

hudsonfour Well-Known Member

quote:
    She dusts, vacuums, does everything in the bathroom- sinks, tub, toilet, floors and everything in the kitchen- sink, stove, floors, etc.. She also does window sills, baseboards and blinds.
    I pay mine $60 per week. Starting in March I am going to have her come only every other week. I found her on craigslist.
    Sue

13. Jordari

Jordari Well-Known Member

We live in DC and have a small business service come (I agree, i like that better than the big businesses)...there are usually three of them: our house is about 1800 sq ft w.3 beds and four baths

They do the kitchen (and somehow they can get the granite and the stovetop cleaner than I EVER can!); wipe out the fridge,
    vacuum and wash all the wood floors,
    vacuum teh area rugs
    clean the bathrooms
    change the linens

they don't do dishes(if there are a few in the sink they'll put them in the dw0, and sometimes i think they could be better at things like moving the bd and getting the dust bunnies and the baseboards.

we pay $85 per visit for every other week - and they are a lifesaver. I started using one before i was married soon as i could afford it; i used to feel badly, but i figured that my hourly rate was higher than what i was paying them and i didn't want to spend my few free hours scrubbing toilets, and it was worth it to me to budget that money there.

i hate to sound like a princess but i can't IMAGINE doing that kind of deep cleaning this pregnant, or with twins! Go for it - it will save a lot of stress. Nothing like being in a house thta someone else has cleaned!

14. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

My mom got us one since I'm late in pregnancy. The lady and her SIL come every other week and spend an hour cleaning for $50. How much they get done depends on what our house looks like so Paul and I like to pick up toys and things before they come so that they have time to get to more of the deep-cleaning jobs. We love how wonderful our house looks when they are done. That being said, if my mom wasn't paying for it we wouldn't have maids because it does seem like a bit of an indulgence to me. I may change my tune after the baby is born though. [​IMG]