Hitting my brother on the head solves all things

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Marya, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Marya

Marya Well-Known Member

My boys are coming up on 18 months and I am having a rally challenging time getting Ben to stop hitting Phil on the head (w/hand or toy). He does it when he is frustrated, when he doesn't want him to get a treat, when he thinks it would be fun..... Anyone else experiencing this or have any suggestions on how to stop. I will look right at him with a very serious face and tell him to stop and he just keeps on going.

2. mrsriney00

mrsriney00 Well-Known Member

No help here but its happening at my house as well. My 16 month b/g twins are doing the same thing. Beck smacks Ella on the head almost every chance he gets. I'll tell him no hitting and he stops for a minute then starts right up again. I have to do a lot of redirecting. I feel so bad for her becuase he hits hard!

3. cohlee

cohlee Well-Known Member

Yup I have one who does this to the other! Every time she gets frustrated she hits her sister. I have just been saying a firm 'no we dont hit' and taking the victim to another area to play (same room just other side of the room).

It has gotten better as her vocab increases!! Good luck!

4. Alaskangirls

Alaskangirls Well-Known Member

Well My ladies take turns being the bad guy. As they are still so young we have taken the option of explaining the event. Showing R that her actions caused her sister pain. When she smacks her and steals her toy she cries. I stop the mean guy and show her that sissy is crying and explain she did that. It is amazing how much little ones understand when the event occurs. It has helped for instances but by no means stopped them from happening. Best of luck

5. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

My kids backed off of this for awhile, but are back at it full force - hitting, biting, slamming to the ground - you name it, they do it. I give time outs for it but the last couple of days, I've been wondering if that helps at all. I guess that's all I've got - 1-2-3 Magic (the book) has been great for us for most behavioral issues. I think these behaviors are really impulsive, so often they are harder to curb until impulse control matures.

6. Marya

Marya Well-Known Member

Great..LOL...and so we continue to redirect and hope empathy kicks in! Nice to know we are not alone!

7. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

Same thing happens at our house but they look more like this :catfight:
    I grab the hitters arm as its about to swing/slap again and hold it in the air while I look them dead in the eye about 2 inches from thier face and repeat "we do not hit".
    Then I redirect and wait for the next occurance.
    Must be the age.............

8. ckreh

ckreh Well-Known Member

Oh we have cage wrestling here :p . Max will hit or kick Lily (sometimes directly in the face), she then responds by grabbing his hair because she barely has any, and then he grabs her ears. After all this we both start crying and screaming. It is becoming a daily occurance and I am hoping it passes soon. I am also glad my family talked me out of getting Lily's ears pierced.

9. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Oh yes, we have the same issue here. I just keep redirecting and try to show proper behavior. For example, Luke will pick up the petroleum jelly and look like he is going to hand it to me but then aim for his sister's head (thankfully his aim stinks) and then I tell him, "No throwing!" "If you want to hand Mommy the jelly, you do this." Every once in a blue moon, he will do that but in the meantime, I just keep redirecting him, etc.

10. Marya

Marya Well-Known Member

These posts are cracking me up! Today Benjamin was walking towards his brother with a clear intent to hit, I called out his name and he stopped and then started walking in another direction clapping his hands. We applauded him at his redirecting his impulse - and hope we can make this a new habit!

11. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

I think my DD read the memo - and DS just wants to know what sound it will make when he hits DD with various objects. We just keep trying to be consistent in the hopes that they will stop hitting each other in the head by the time they are 30.