Hmmm...these birthday party issues...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by marijanad, May 14, 2012.

1. marijanad

marijanad Well-Known Member

I had a similar situation happen last fall, and here is one again-I guess preschooler birthday parties are the start of social dramas?
    Would this offend any other twin parents? A mother at preschool asked around for email addresses for her daughter's birthday and also asked me and
    told me about it, however I don't know her or her daughter very well.
    Anyway, I received the email invite today, and just happened to notice that all of the other parents had received/replied to the invite
    nearly two weeks ago. Basically, they all received their invites two weeks ago and I received one today. So I am a little put off that
    perhaps my DDs are on the B list of invites which I think is not very nice and I don't practice that A list/B list nonsense ever.
    I will likely take them because I know they like this little girl at preschool, but I'd really like to hear thoughts on this issue!

2. kgar

kgar Well-Known Member

Here's some advice I received once that has been a blessing for me throughout my life: Always give people the benefit of the doubt. Don't assume malicious intent without definitive proof (and even when there is definitive proof, try your best to ignore it unless the stakes are really really high). Following this advice has made me somewhat oblivious/immune to so-called social slights, and I have avoided all sorts of drama in my life as a result.

The stakes are not high in this situation. It's a kid's birthday party. Take your kids to the party. Be nice to the other girl's mother. Invite them to your birthday party. Don't spend any more time thinking about it.

5 people like this.
  3. Aeliza

Aeliza Well-Known Member

^This

I agree. Don't take it personally. If she didn't want you to come, you would not be invited. Chances are, she invited those she knew better and invited those she didn't know as well once she figured out how much space she had to invite more. It likely was not about who she liked more or anything like that. If she was having a party with no room limitations, I'm sure you'd have been invited along with the rest of the group at the same time. My aunt does this, but only if there's a limit to space.

Go enjoy the party. Don't take the other mom's decision personally and have a good time!