Holy Heartburn Hell!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by AKilburn, Jun 29, 2012.

1. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

The last few days my heart burn has been OUT OF CONTROL!!!! I have already been on nexium throughout the pregnancy, I was on it before I got pregnant and stayed on it since. Anyway, I've taken malox and gaviscon and it only helps for a period of time and then it's back and making me miserable! Drinking water gives me heartburn, WTH!? Anyway I'm wondering, does ANYONE have any ideas or tricks for the heartburn???? I'm begging now! lol

Thanks y'all!

2. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Ask your doctor. I was on nexium one time and on something else another time....can't remember what it was now though. Anyways, see if there is something else you can try! No use being miserable if there's another option!!

3. efaith

efaith Well-Known Member

I found heartburn worse than morning sickness with this pregnancy! As I have struggled so much to put on weight I only take gaviscon before bed... and in the middle of the night (all remedies lower stomach acid which means poorer absorption of nutrients) I have managed it by eating minimum carbs, avoiding anything acidic (most fruit, tomatoes and tomato products, coffee) eating and drinking only really small amounts at a time and staying upright as much as possible. Probably nothing you haven't already tried!

4. BeckyDavis06

BeckyDavis06 Member

Good luck! If you find something let me know! Ha! I have had non stop heartburn for the last 21 weeks. :p

5. AKilburn

AKilburn Well-Known Member

I never knew the remedies lowered absorption of nutrients. I have an appt with my MFM on Monday, I'll talk to him about it. I did notice it got worse after I ate some strawberries. It's hard for me to stay up right as much as possible b/c I'm on modified bed rest, I have to be horizontal for 8 more hours out of the day. It got so bad last night I ended up getting sick to my stomach.

My husband had once told me that instant potatoes help with the acid, so I broke down went out and got some last night and had that, it seemed to have helped. It's something about the flakes that absorbs the acid. So I guess I'll be on a diet of instant potatoes for the rest of this pregnancy.

6. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I swear by my calcium/magnesium supplement when pregnant. I was swilling liquid Maalox whenever I could and popping Tums in between. Once I started on the calc/mag my symptoms got better and better to the point where I no longer had heartburn as long as I kept up the supplement. I found the info on dosage from Dr. Barbara Luke, a respected OB who specializes in multiples.
    Here is the exerpt in the link provided:

...and the original source page.

7. Katheros

Katheros Well-Known Member

I had heartburn bad with both my pregnancies. With the twins, I just ate Tums all the time. Eventually my Dr gave me an RX for something but I can't remember what. I do remember it was so expensive my insurance company would only pay for 1 month's supply. I don't remember it helping at all.

With my singleton, I took Zantac every day and Tums on demand. It helped, but I still had heartburn all the time. If something went in my mouth, I got heartburn.

8. ihavesevensons

ihavesevensons Well-Known Member

I took Prevacid, and it worked wonders......I was right there with you that even water caused the heartburn.

9. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Sorry to hijack Alex, but I had no idea you had a daughter! Congratulations!

10. DannyT

DannyT Well-Known Member

I've had heartburn and reflux since about 6 weeks. I'm on pepcid 2x/day now but I also have identified trigger foods that I have to completely stay away from.

Without pepcid, I can't even drink water either....