Homework

Discussion in 'Childhood and Beyond (4+)' started by ljcrochet, Oct 13, 2011.

1. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My girls have the same math workbook that they do homework in. For the last 2 weeks they have had the same page to do for homework. Both of the teachers marks if things are wrong with the homework. One of my girls got this problem wrong, the other did not. I'm wondering what you think the answer is and if I should talk to the teacher.

A friend gave Raul 1 baseball card.
    Now Raul has 4 baseball cards
    how many baseball cards did he have bedore?

____ - _______=_______

2. seamusnicholas

seamusnicholas Well-Known Member

the answer is 3 so 4-1=3 (?)

Shouldn't the question say how many does he have now? and then the number sentence would be 3+1=4

3. missmomoftwins02

missmomoftwins02 Well-Known Member

4. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

4-1=3

I changed my answer several times, but after re-reading the problem, that is what I would think the answer is.

5. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree, I would say 4-1=3.

6. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I dont have a different answer but I am jealous of your math homework.

7. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

That makes no sense. It has to be a misprint in the workbook.

8. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The question is definitely worded very weird. The way I am reading it, I would think the answer is 3.

9. jjzollman

jjzollman Well-Known Member

That looks a lot like some of my 1st grader's math homework. Worded weird. Their program is called Envision Math.

Anyway, yeah I would say 4-1=3

1 person likes this.
  10. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

It honestly should be 3 + 1 = 4. This is an example of an equation, therefore the total (the amount he now has) would be on one side of the equal sign and the expression (what it takes to get to that amount) would be on the other. If we set it up with a variable it would be x + 1 = 4 therefore what he started out with is 3. I know being in first grade, they don't understand a variable, but that is what this problem is introducing...algebra. But don't get me on starting kids with algebra when they don't even fully understand addition yet. It drives me insane!

And I agree, that wording is terrible!! No way should a problem be introduced like that in 1st grade! I would completely argue with the text...I hate this sort of stuff. But being in first grade, and since subtraction is there, it can only be 4 - 1 = 3.

11. seamusnicholas

Totally agree. I think the problem is that the homework had the empty lines already there as a subtraction problem.

I need to know what happened! Curiosity is killing me!

12. Utopia122

I think I was editing while you were typing....terrible question!

1 person likes this.
  13. Utopia122

And I also have to say, that this is the reason why I hate that there are not math certified teachers in elementary school!!

14. ljcrochet

15. jjzollman

:laughing: I thought that sounded an awful lot like Envision!

All the teachers at our school are having issues with Envision. They went from Saxon to Envision - brand new this year to our district. The problems and questions on all of the worksheets are very confusing, wordy, and not logical. I'm assuming it is set up this way to go aong with the common core standards that will become aligned with our state standards in the next few years. Guess that means the common core standardized tests should be even more fun.

16. seamusnicholas

Is it anything like Everyday math?

17. seamusnicholas

So I just youtubed it. Is the big thing that is has a huge digital component?

18. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I agree, 4-1=3 (based on the fact that it has to be subtraction).

19. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I thought it looked like envision. We use that program too. The first year, the teachers hated it. Now that we have used it for 3 years, they all like it. It does have a different way of thinking about numbers, but once you are familiar with it, it makes more sense. The teachers in the upper grades had the hardest time with the switch, because they and the kids didn't have the vocabulary that the system uses from the earlier years. As for the worksheet, I saw it when you posted on facebook, and I would say that the teacher made a mistake when marking it wrong.

20. ljcrochet

Our school district started envision last year. Since my girls started in K - it is the only math program they know, but one of their teachers told the parents at meet the teacher night that they have to change some stuff to be standard across the state.

i asked Dani yesterday afterschool if the teacher said anything about the HW (I figured at least one parent had to complain ask why it was marked wrong), and she said that the teacher just said it should have been right.

I know there is a digital workbook that goes with the program. Sometimes my girls will ask to use it when they use the computer at home. Last year some of the grades had to do the homework on line, not sure if they are still doing that this year.

21. jjzollman

I can't see your link - what did the teacher mark wrong? How did your DD answer it? I'm just curious since I find the Envision program to be so subjective in some ways.

Sharon, I'm glad to hear your teachers are liking it more this year - I know our teachers that are using it have had a really difficult time adjusting to it.

22. momotwinsmom

momotwinsmom Well-Known Member

We use Envision here too. I know some of the teachers will look over the homework before they do it and let the kids know if there is a problem that is confusing and have them cross it off and skip it. Every once in awhile there is one that doesn't overly make sense. Mostly the word problems at the bottom of the page.