Hoping for some advice..how do you do it?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by babyhopes09, Feb 22, 2014.

1. babyhopes09

babyhopes09 Well-Known Member

So, I'm hoping someone might have some words of wisdom for how to make things work for me/my kids while DH is away. Twin DD's will be 4 in April, DS will be 3 in August, and #4 is due in June. I currently work part-time but am quitting to be a full time stay at home mom. DH travels mon-thurs/Fri most weeks for work. We have some systems going for us and we do play dates and preschool for the girls, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas that work for them that helps keep them sane. I'm a pretty hands on mom, but sometimes the constant 24/7 job has me overwhelmed with very little support. We do have family nearby but they are not very involved or helpful when they are. Ideas? Thanks ladies.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What about a mother's helper? A young teen who could help out two or three times a week for a couple of hours. You'd still be home but it would allow you to rest, have a shower, prep dinner, whatever while they kept an eye on the kids. I've heard homeschooling networks are great places to find someone.

The other option, if you're looking for support specifically in the postpartum period is a postpartum doula - they're an incredible resource! You can read more about what they do here.

3. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

You definitely are a busy mom!!

Are you involved in a church?  That is always a good support system and there might be ladies able to help you out with meals, laundry, keeping the kids at times to give you a break, etc.  I know some of the ladies in my church whose kids are grown LOVE to help out.

Also, what about a mom's group or other local moms?  You may be able to swap child care or something of the sort.

4. Lexieade

Lexieade Active Member

We worked in our budget to hire a "nanny" 3 days a week. I was losing my mind with the twins and now 2 boxers. She comes Tuesdays and Thursdays 10-4 and wed 12-4. I run errands, clean, or sometimes just lay down and catch my breath. My stress level has definitely dropped. Sometimes mommy just needs some mommy time.