Hoping I don't regret this...

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by nurseandrea02, Nov 18, 2009.

1. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

I had a Honda Pilot when the boys were born. It was great, but was a bit cramped for space with the rearfacing seats & all the gear that comes along with infants. Prior to the boys' birth, I was in love with it. When the boys were about 6 mos old, I was offered a great deal, & went into a Honda Odyssey. I cried (literally) at handing in my Pilot, but knew the Odyssey would be more convenient. And it was. It's everything I dreamed of, except a power tailgate & factory installed DVD player. However, it handled horribly in the snow (I live in WI, so there's LOTS of snow driving) & I hated being the person with a 'van' (hello? soccer mom!). Fast forward to Monday when I ran into our family car salesman (he's sold us all our vehicles since early college...and we go through vehicles a LOT). He offered me an AWESOME deal on the 2010 Pilot. I spent the past 3 days investigating, test driving, googling, & writing out pros & cons lists. I was sooooo torn. I took polls from friends online & in real life. It was a huge decision since I am so in love with my van.

However, ultimately, it came down to the 4WD...thus the safety. I survived with twinfants in the Pilot, so I know I can survive toddlers in it. I'm losing some perks (ie access to a roomier 3rd row, sliding side doors, etc), but I think I'm making some gains, too. I sign the paperwork on the Pilot on Friday.

So, tell me...am I going to regret this decision? Am I going to mourn the loss of my van like I mourned the loss of my SUV? I know I'll eventually get used to it...but part of me wonders if I'll try to break out of the lease in a few years & go back to my van!

Ugh, I hate large decisions like this.........

2. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

Well, I can tell you this -- everyone I know that needs 4WD and a minivan drives a Toyota Sienna, because it's the only van that comes in 4WD. (I think)

I do love my Odyssey for convenience, but I hear ya -- I really, really wanted to get the Pilot instead. I love them. And, if I only had two children, I might try it. But with three kids, and now with carpool and such for Nadia, I really need the van. Plus, you just can't beat the space on a road trip.

In your shoes, I really don't know. I can understand why you're torn!

3. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

I have never driven a minivan...so I can't attest to the perks. BUT..I drove a Yukon when the twins were infants. I LOVED it. The space was awesome. We made the decision to trade it in and get a Chrysler Pacifica when the twins were about a year old. The Yukon didn't have rear air and in the summer heat in Texas it was just too miserable for the kids in the back seat. They would literally be drenched in sweat by the time the rear cooled off. Anyways, we found the Pacifica and I liked the fact that it had rear air and 3rd row seating. However, the 3rd row seating is pretty useless right now because of the 2 carseats in the second row bucket seats. It is impossible to get back there. The only ones that can ride back there are my nephews and we have to let them in through the rear hatch. Anyways, the point to my story is....I often think it would be sooooooo nice to have a sliding door and a 3rd row seat we could actually use.

I don't know that you would be making a mistake going back to a SUV. I think there are definate pros and cons to each vehicle (minivan vs. SUV). If you don't have a problem with the seating space that you will be giving up, then I say go for it!

4. traci.finley

traci.finley Well-Known Member

Girlfriend ... I hear ya! I am trading in my X-Terra soon and I love, love, love my X-Terra. This is the thing though ... I have two 2-year olds and one on the way and they just won't all fit =). I refuse to drive the Mom van though (no offense to anyone at all ... lots of my Mom friends who I consider to be a lot "cooler" than me drive vans ... I just feel ... and this is so dumb ... but I feel like the SUV driving me is very "me" and if I sell out to the Mom van that is just one more way that motherhood has chipped away pieces of "me" ... dramatic, I know ... but that is who I am ;) ... and I have 2 drama queen 2 year olds for it!) ... anyway, we are going to either the Sequioa or Armada and I feel like it will be a bit more inconvenient than a van for a few years but I don't think it will be a big deal to me. Like you said, I am used to the SUV (dealt with the lack of the sliding doors or whatever for the first 2 and almost a half years with twins) ... and I am just going to make sure we can all fit and wiggle in where we need to be and remember, each time I am crawling between the 2nd row cap chairs to buckle in my twins that it will only be a few short years and they can do it themselves (they can already climb into their seats in the X-Terra) and I won't be "stuck" driving the minivan for 10 years. You may miss some conveniences of your van but you will adjust, IMO =) Enjoy the Pilot!!

5. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

We have a Volvo XC90, which is about the size of the Pilot (I think). It's not as convenient as a van, but it works, and the 4WD is necessary here too. We rented a minivan a few weeks ago while on vacation and I loved that the girls could climb in themselves and get into their seats. The power sliding doors were such a bonus! But when we got back home to our SUV, it wasn't that big of a difference. Just an extra minute to hoist each kid in and physically close the door rather than pushing the little clicky thing. I suspect the transition for you will be annoying for a week or two and then you'll barely even remember!

6. Two_more_cookies

Two_more_cookies Well-Known Member

We recently bought a van because baby number three is on the way. I LOVE my Sienna...so far, we've only had it a week. We drove civics before so it's like moving from a 500 sq ft apartment to a 2,000 sq ft home. For me the room and the access to the kids is awesome, especially being 7 months preggo.

FWIW, as long as you have the essential elements you are looking for and not planning on having anymore kids you are doing what best for the family right now and that is have a safe vehicle.

Also, I don't know how long you are leasing it for but if it doesn't workout you can always go back to the van when the time comes.

Good Luck with your decision,
    Lindia

7. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I never left my suv. And I have a small one, an 03 Vue. I just don't want a van. I had driven my mil's van when she had one and it just felt like a tank. I just felt like I couldn't see out of it. If we ever had more, I would definitely be looking at bigger suvs instead of a van. We also need my car to be able to tow our jet ski easily.

And I have to say, I think you're through the worst part of kids and a vehicle. Once you get to the booster seat age, they'll be able to start unbuckling their seatbelts. I waited till they were 5 before I started teaching them to buckle their seatbelts, but I imagine that could be done earlier. Now, we get in the car, they buckle and we're off. It's great. Even my mil has commented how easy it is now that they can do that.

Btw, the reason I thought to teach them to do the seatbelts at 5 was because we take the kids to school and do drop-off and pick-up. They expect the kids to pop out of the cars in the morning and keep the moving. And in the afternoon the faster your kids can buckle, the faster the line moves. They have teachers out taking care of opening the doors to make sure it keeps moving.

So, as long as it fits what you need and drives how you need with the 4wd, I think you'll enjoy it. I totally understand the desire to NOT have a van.

Marissa

8. nurseandrea02

nurseandrea02 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Ladies...you've reassured me a bit. I know I'll have to get used to an SUV again, but I'm hoping I'm happy enough with it that I'll forget about the conveniences of the van! I will be glad to have a part of 'me' back, since I swore up & down that I'd never drive a van! I know, for sure, that I won't regret my decision the next time it snows! 4WD is soooo much safer by us...I cannot WAIT to have it back!

PS Marissa, I can't believe you drive the '03 Vue! I had that before my Pilot & HATED it. It was absolutely HORRID in snow (maybe you live in a non-snow climate). I thought it handled bad overall, not just in inclimate weather. Otherwise, I did like it. Smaller than I had wanted, too, which is why I went up to the Pilot. Ideally, I'd like the size of a Suburban, but I KNOW I'd crash that thing. I have horrible depth perception, so I'm sure trying to park a suburban would be a BAAAAD idea :). But, I do know that I've had these same carseats in the Pilot before...and they were rearfacing before, so it should be even better now! I cannot WAIT til they can buckle themselves in!!!

I'll let you all know what I think of it in a few weeks! I should get it tomorrow or Saturday.

9. AlphaBeta

AlphaBeta Well-Known Member

I thought there was an Odyssey package with 4WD? I'm seeing it on Google. I'd ask your sales guy about that.

For me, I would not go into an SUV for the reasons you say you love your minivan. I like the sliding doors too much, especially in our cramped 2 car garage, and the storage room in the back, even with a 3rd row seat, is non-negotiable for me. I need to be able to pick up my parents at the airport, with the kids in the van, and still have room for their luggage. Or take us all out to a restaurant/shopping in one car rather than 2. Even with booster seats, a minivan is still a must for us. And I'm no fan of being the mom in the van either, it's just too darn perfect for our life right now to pass up.

But that's just me. You know your family best. Hope you are happy with your decision, regardless of your choice! :)

10. lianyla

lianyla Well-Known Member

The major decider here would be if you're having more kids or not. If not, then I'd TOTALLY do it. If you are.. I'd get a diff mini van!

FYI: I drive a 2008 Explorer w/ 3rd row seating and it bugs me cuz you have to CLIMB over the 2nd row to get back there! Stupid! Otherwise, i LOVE IT. We live in MN.. so snow... YA!

11. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

I'd look into the Sienna also. I've never driven a SUV but I know some moms who have gone from SUB to minivan and were just so happy with the change, I can't imagine going back if you don't have to.

12. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

You couldn't pay me to go back, now that I have a minivan, but Pilots are really nice. I hope you love it!!

13. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

You also couldn't pay me to go back, and I didn't get a minivan until they were 5. We previously had a Taurus and a Nissan SUV that was about the size of a Honda CRV. Lifting the boys in and out of the SUV nearly killed my back. I love the sliding doors, automatic doors and tailgate and space way to much to ever go to an SUV.

14. rissakaye

rissakaye Well-Known Member TS Moderator

The original tires they sold new on that Vue were absolutely horrid. You can go on tirerack.com and look at the reviews for the original tires and see that NOBODY liked how they handled. We don't get very much snow. I also had the luxury of staying home and not going anywhere if the weather was slightly bad and I didn't feel like getting the babies out. My dh drove it when we went to church and he said those original tires hydroplaned quite easily. Once we put different tires on it, dh said it was much better. I've driven in the snow some and had no problems. And now I'm at 111K miles on it and still like it.

Hope you enjoy your Pilot!

Marissa