Hosp Bedrest for the next 10 weeks?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by mish_lewis, Aug 30, 2010.

1. mish_lewis

mish_lewis Well-Known Member

Hey all,

I am the mom of a 3 year old little boy and 11 month old BB twins.

My sister-in-law was just admitted to the hosp. yesterday morning. She is 24 weeks preggo with girls! Her water broke on baby "A" and she was told she would need to stay at the hosp. and be flat on her back for the next 10 weeks. They have her on antibiotics and have started the steroids. We are hoping that she can make it another 10 weeks. They currently have her on a clear liquid diet and peeing in a bed pan.
    Of course the doctors are preparing her for all the things that could happen......which as we all know is upsetting and well when you are flat on your back all you can think about. This is her first pregnancy.
    I am several states away, but plan on calling frequently and checking in....I hope to be a distraction of cheer.

A few questions I have you for who are and have been there....
    Will she be able to eat normally soon?
    What can we expect are the next phases to come? medical and psychological?
    How we the family help? How can we be a positive distraction?
    I know I would be a wreck and am sure she is too.

She is looking to me for some support and advice, since I just had twins last year.....but I have not had any experience with this and just cannot imagine what you moms are going through.

Thanks for your advise!

2. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that this is happening! It is very scary to suddenly land on bedrest. The closest story I can think of to yours is Brooklyne. You could search her profile and see if she is still active, I haven't seen her in awhile.

Is she having contractions? How is the fluid around baby A now?

I was on hospital bedrest for 11 weeks, but for different reasons. I will still answer the questions in case it helps. The further she can get away from her water breaking with nothing else going significantly wrong will greatly increase her chances of a successful delivery. It is likely that she will be in the position she is in now with diet, etc for at least a week if not several weeks. They will be keeping a close eye on the fluid around baby A as well as contractions and signs of infection. She will need to keep as hydrated as possible and as still as possible. This will be a huge battle in her mind. There really is nothing harder than feeling your body working against you and being uncertain of your children's outcome. The help you can provide is positive, informative interaction. Encourage her to cling to hope against all hope. Talk to her about how good of a mommy she is already because what she is doing for her babies is amazing. She needs to think of her discomfort on bedrest as being the single most important thing she can do during this time. Try to find success stories so you can tell her about them. Focus on the positive because at this point the negative is struggling to overwhelm the positive all the time. Show her success stories of women in her position as well as success stories of babies who did well at her gestation.

I wish your family the best.
    :youcandoit:

3. mhardman

mhardman Well-Known Member

I don't have any thing other than good luck. I was on home bedrest for 6 weeks with PTL and it was hard. I loved getting calls. People stopping bu to chat or bring food. You feel so isolated that the more human interaction you can ge the better. Keep us posted.

4. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Good luck to her! I don't have any experience, but remember someone talking once about how much it meant to them to have someone stop by and give her a pedi. If you can arrange for someone to do a mani/pedi, I bet she'd love it. Probably any kind of interation she will enjoy. Does she have other children? If so, maybe arranging for someone to have some special time with him or maybe setting up some help with cleaning/cooking around the house so she doesn't worry about it.