HOSPITAL BEDREST

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by kayc, Oct 3, 2009.

1. kayc

kayc New Member

HELLO EVERYONE,

HERE IS MY STORY. I STARTED HAVING CERVIX ISSUES @ 22 WEEKS. WENT IN FOR ROUTINE DOCTOR VISIT AND NEXT THING I KNOW IM HERE IN THE HOSPITAL FOR SURGERY. WENT HOME AFTER SURGERY AND ENDED UP RIGHT BACK HERE.

THIS IS MAKING ME NUTS. THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HOSPITAL BEDREST AND HOME BEDREST. IS THERE ANYONE OUT THERE THAT IS GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING OR HAVE BEEN IN THE PAST? I FEEL SO ALONE.

2. calimom

calimom Member

I have not had significant time in the hospital- just two 1 1/2 day visits but they felt like forever. I just got home yesterday from my 2nd one, the 1st was 7 weeks ago when I was 22 weeks and my cervix significantly shortened plus I was having contractions. I have been at home on bedrest since then until my recent visit back b/c my cervix really shortened again (down to .9 now) and contractions are now about 4/hr even with meds. I am an extremely active person so this is the most difficult thing for me but now I have some confidence that not only am I doing the right thing but it is working. I know that if I would still be working and keeping up my crazy schedule these babies would already be here. S0, while bedrest is hard, and I can only hope to have 5-8 more weeks of it, every day counts. 7 weeks ago I never thought I would still be pregnant but I am and would love to only be 1/2 way done with bedrest and take these babies to term. My doc says that is not impossible so I keep the hope.

3. jpgeyer

jpgeyer Well-Known Member

Hi there! Wow, sounds similar to my situation. All had been going well with my pregnancy up until my appt at 27 weeks when they did an U/S and found that my cervix, which had once been long and closed, is now about 3mm. My peri sent me straight to the hospital for what I thought would just be another exam, but instead I was admitted and have been here for 1 week and 1 day. When my peri checked me again a few days ago she could see the feet of one of the babies on my cervix and so she freaked out. I will not be leaving the hospital till I have these babies whether it's in 2 days or 4 weeks. I'm terrified that i'm going to have an emergency c-sect at any moment and they want me to put a hep-lock (IV port) into my arm but it's SOOO uncomfortable and painful that I can't bear it...but that makes me feel like the worst person ever and I'll probably do it although it will really eat away at my sanity.

Anyhow, I have a 2 year old son, who I stay home with, but have only seen him for about an hour every day for the last week. It's excruciating being away from him. On top of that we had to pull together a temp Nanny until our au pair arrives next week. Our lives have been turned upside down and we are also so worried about these babies coming any moment now...which is only 28w 3 days.

Advice I can give is have friends visit, make some sort of loose schedule...ie, get up, shower, put on make-up (so you feel human), put on your own clothes, read, and DON"T think about how many more hours are in the day...take it one hour/tv show at a time!

Feel free to contact me personally as well!

I keep reminding myself...this too shall pass and the longer I'm here the better it is for the babies!

4. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was on hospital bedrest from the time my DD was born until my DS was born, so 10 days of complete bedrest, no getting up for anything. And it was the potential to be there months. It was not fun and I had a 5 year old DD at home as well. I was getting very depressed since I could not leave the bed. It was incredibly hard. I totally feel your pain. :hug: Hang in there though, it is best for the babies.

Are you on complete bedrest or do you have bathroom privileges, just curious?

5. cat mommy

cat mommy Well-Known Member

zs: can you see if they can put the heplock up by your elbow and tape it down well? that helped keep mine from annoying me. mine is out now, but it wasn't that bad when it was out of my way like that. they also have these stretchy tubes they can put over them, but my arm was too skinny.

more discomfort for mom=less nicu time :clapping:

6. leokon

leokon Active Member

I was on Hospital bedrest for 5 weeks before my twins were born. I came in for check up at 28 weeks and was put in the hospital right away, since I was dilated 2 cm. I also was stay at home mom with my 2,5 you son. and like someone said, it was excruciating being away from him . I could not put the needs of the babies inside me before the needs of my son, I just could not focus on the babies wellbeing while I knew how he was suffering.
    I will tell you, it was the hardest thing I had to do in my life. I was allowed to take a show once a week. I was on mag all the time + was given turb shots and pills .
    But in the lifetime perspective, it was just 5 weeks, and it made a huge difference in the lives of my babies. They were in NICU for 2 weeks , mostly as growers and feeders.
    I tried to stay positive for the most part, when I could not hold it anymore, I would cry and put on my ipod and blast the music that I love , it helped a lot. I could not stay online or read books or watch tv for too long, I started to knit, with the help of some nurses.
    some sort of schedule does help, even if you can't get up, try to have one..
    be friendly with nurses, PAs, so they check on you more, some of them just picked in my room to say high, sometimes it made my day.
    if you feel like, ask your friends to visit you and bring you some silly magazines..
    shop online..
    Keep thinking that you are doing the greatest and the hardest job there is, growing those babies healthy. Every day counts!!!
    Stay positive and hopeful, it will pay off, and it is just a short period of your lifetime.

Good luck to all of you!

7. teamhorsley

teamhorsley New Member

Hello all,
    I too have a similar situation. I went to a routine OB visit and ended up in the hospital on Sept 11. I have a shortened cervix and was dilated 1cm. I have been here a month tomorrow and boy have I had my ups and downs. I had a
    "chance " of possibly going home on bedrest as I had not contracted in one week. I then had a bleed last weekend, but nothing serious and the babies are ok. I am 27 weeks and have been here since week 23. The babies are growing tremendously. It really is hard being a nurse on the other side of the bed, it is scary ,......the unknown makes me worried. But they have done studies on the hormones that are released if you are stressed, they get carried over to the babies and are more than likely to cause pre term labor. All of you have very good advice and it is nice to hear that others are having a difficult time like I am. We all have to know that this is best for us and the babies, and each day that goes by is a milestone for those babies.

8. Daffodils

Daffodils Well-Known Member

I was only in the hospital for a week, and am now at home. Initially, they told me I'd be in the hospital until I delivered, due to a shortened and funneled cervix. I agree, it can make you feel alone. But you're not!! Like the other ladies said, take it one day at a time, one hour at a time. That's what I did in the hospital, just took it one tv show at a time, and set something to look forward to, like a shower. You can do this, and it will all be worth it in the end!! :)

9. lawlady

lawlady New Member

I was put on bedrest at home (bathroom privileges, showers, meals up, etc.) at 24w5d due to a cervix that shrunk from 4 cm to 3 cm in a month. By 26w, my cervix was only 2.6-2.2, then at 30w3d it was 1.4 cm. On 30w4d, I felt achy and "not right" all over my body. I called the doc, and she wanted me to go to the hospital for a checkup. My ffn came back positive, and I was fingertip dilated from a manual exam. I was admitted that day, and at 4 am I started getting contractions. Eventually by 2 p.m. on 30w5d, the contractions were 8 minutes apart. They did a sonogram and my cervix was .9. I got magnesium sulfate and the steroids. The mag worked, but I had a relapse on 31wd0. They were able to stop the contractions with procardia and an iv with hydration. In the hospital, I was not allowed to shower or use the bathroom. That was the worst part.

I am now 32w2d, and they are going to measure me to see if they can send me home. I have had bedside commode privileges since Thursday.

I am keeping myself entertained with learning to knit via DVD, movies, the internet, and the telephone. I think the hospital is better because I am not alone and have people to do things for me and feed me. At home, it's much harder.

10. leokon

leokon Active Member

It is OK to feel sad and miserable! For me was hard to see other women come and go with the babies , some of them being my roommates. It is hard , but it is only weeks, maybe months out of your lives!! I some times feel sad, about that part of my life being over :) and miss that environment and that "hospital life".
    All of you are doing SO Great !!! Keep those babies cooking! Good luck to all of you!!

11. travellingmum

travellingmum Well-Known Member

I spent the last 8 weeks of my pregnancy in the hospital. I was so sad and lonely and cried every day. I missed my little boy so much, and it there was a particularly awful week where he wanted nothing to do with me when he came to visit, and another bad week where he was really ill and ended up in the emergency room, and I couldn't be home to take care of him. I seriously thought I would never make it. But in the end, it was all worth it. I made it to 37 weeks and had two healthy babies who didn't need any intervention. We all came home together two days after they were born. You are doing such a great thing for your babies. Take care and best of luck!