How can I relieve continual congestion

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by KStorey, Aug 4, 2010.

1. KStorey

KStorey Well-Known Member

My boys are now 5 months old and one of them has been congested since birth. Our doc says he is a happy wheezer and that some kids are just like that. The doc thinks he will grow out of it. I hate to see him coughing and choking up and am unsure of what else to do to help him. His mattress is elevated, We have used a vaporiser to no effect. We are in wintertime here at the moment so our room is heated. Does anyone else have this issue with their LO's? What do you do to help them? Are your kids older and they 'grew out of it'?

2. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

It's so dry here that I developed the habit of snorking out the snot with an aspirator as part of the after bath routine. The hot, humid bathroom opens things up, then I attack. After months of this I rarely have to attack them other times during the week. I also usually skip a Saturday b/c they are in baby swim class and we shower at the rec center instead of at home.

3. teamturner

teamturner Well-Known Member

We've used a dropper to clean their noses with a small amount of saline solution. Similar to a Neti pot approach. And oh my it works to remove some huge, hardened boogies!

Hope all is well in NZ!

4. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

I have a "happy wheezer" too! I thought that my pediatrician just made that up, but apparently it must be a term?? Anyway, my pediatrician is convinced that DSs wheezing is related to reflux (he's a spitter, but so are/were my other two and they never wheezed). We started on zantac and it didn't really help. Then we switched to prevacid and after 3 days his wheezing is gone. I really want to take him off the prevacid and see if the wheezing comes back, but I guess I will wait a couple of weeks.

5. NaturallyBaby

NaturallyBaby Well-Known Member

My guy is chronically congested and we've found a direct correlation with his reflux. He's on Zantac and is very sensitive to dairy foods in my diet (I'm BF'ing).

6. 5280babies

5280babies Well-Known Member

One of my girls was congested for months. I don't remember what we did at 5 mos besides a bathroom steam before bed, but at 8 months on we were using the alcohol free saline and it was awesome. In fact, she even let us after a few times. I hate that feeling but she could breathe better in her sleep. I would say by about 13 mos on she has shown no signs of it anymore, although we will see when fall kicks in. DH has sinus issues so we thought maybe hereditary, but even with the congested sounds, hers was nose mucus mostly. Her sinuses and ears have always been clear. Weird.