how common is TTTS?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by jennybean41506, May 1, 2010.

1. jennybean41506

jennybean41506 Well-Known Member

I am trying to find out as much info on twins and my pregnancy as i possibly can. I know that my twins are placenta monochorionic. I wanted to know how common the TTTS is it just a given when they are monochorionic or is there just a chance that this could happen? Oh P.S. a really great book to read is TWIN SENSE by Dagmara Scalise its a book by a parent of twins and facts that only twin parents really know.

2. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

not all monochorionic twins get TTTS - the number i've seend quoted is 10% - 15% of monochorionic twins will be diagnosed with it. my girls shared a placenta but were never diagnosed. you will likely be monitored more closely & seen more frequently by various medical folks (OB, u/s, NSTs, etc) and as frustrating as it can be at times, it's well worth it in the end.

3. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I think at CHOP they told us 20% when they were explaining to us about the condition. Make sure you are monitored frequently (they recommend once a week ultrasounds after I think 16 weeks) I know it's hard not to worry but just remember there are things that can be done if you do develop it. In the mean time you should consider increasing your protein intake. It has been shown to improve or even prevent the condition. It definitely reversed mine.

4. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

The perinatologist I went to told me that TTTS happens in about 20% of monochorionic pregnancies, but 1/2 of the affected pregnancies (so 10% of the total) will never experience a problem. The TTTS will be very minor and may not even be noticed until birth when the placenta is examined or the babies are born with a slight size difference or different coloring. Another 1/4 of the pregnancies (5% of total) will have diagnosed TTTS during the pregnancy, but no treatment required. The final 1/4 of the pregnancies (5% of total) will have moderate to severe TTTS that requires close monitoring, bedrest, surgery, or early delivery.

5. sheras2

sheras2 Well-Known Member

I have read 15-20%. Try not to worry to much about all of the things that "could" happen. I'm sure your doctor will monitor you and let you know if there are any signs of complication.

6. WaterGuzzler

WaterGuzzler Well-Known Member

Think of it this way--you have roughly an 80% chance of not developing TTTS, and an even higher chance of having no problems of TTTS. Congrats on the twin pg and welcome to TS!

7. morgan57

morgan57 Well-Known Member

I agree with the previous posts- 15 to 20% depending on which stats you read. Mono/di twins also have about a 10%-20% change of developing sIUGR (IUGR of only one twin). This is much better than TTTS but still can be an issue (we went through this but thankfully my twin B was born healthy but small).

The good news is most mono/di twins don't have any problems but make sure you are being monitored closely!!

Good luck!