How did you have your twins?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by jpgeyer, Nov 21, 2009.

1. jpgeyer

jpgeyer Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    I'm 35 weeks pregnant and feel like I'm as big as a whale since I'm measuring 44 weeks. I was in the hospital on bedrest for 7.5 weeks and was just allowed to go home for bedrest until my c-section date on December 11.

Anyhow, I'm curious how people ended up having their twins...
    Did your water break? If so, what was it like? Where did it happen?
    Did you go into labor? How long before you went to the hospital?
    Did you make it till your due date or c-section date?
    Did your doctor deliver you early for some reason?

I'm kind of freaking out at this point. I"m SO happy the babies have stayed in for so long but I'm clueless as to what to expect could happen. With my son, I had c-section scheduled b/c he was breach and never went into labor or had my water break.

THANKS!

2. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

I started dilating and was on bed rest from 29-34 weeks.
    She let me off bed rest and I stayed pregnant. At 36 weeks my blood pressure started getting high like 135/95 (normal is 110/60 for me) and I was swelling.
    I did the pre-e test but it was negative but due to my blood pressure she agreed to induce me at 37 weeks. I went to the hospital on my induction date and was 5cm dilated and 100% effaced when I checked in!

She broke my water and I had the last baby 5 hours later. We all went home 36 hours later :) Hang in there the end IS miserable (Im 4 days away from my due date with my 3rd so I feel your pain!).

3. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

I had a scheduled c-section and made it to my due date which was at 37wks. 2 days. That last week went by so slow and the night before I stayed up all night because I couldn't sleep! Everything went great with the c-section and I stayed 4 days in the hospital(which felt like a mini vacation!).

I feel like my pregnancy was easy peasy because I never had any false labor, stayed healthy the whole way through, and had a great and easy birth!

4. tundrababy

tundrababy Well-Known Member

35wks was by far the worst week for me!! For whatever reason 36wks & days of 37wks was easier. I was having some contractions and dilating on 1/26th - had my BPP and found one of the boys stopped growing, had a c/s the next day. Never went into labor but I think it would have later that week. Good Luck & Congrats on your babies!!

5. twinnerbee

twinnerbee Well-Known Member

My water broke at 37 weeks (after I was on meds to stop contractions for months...came off it at 36 weeks and delivered at 37 exactly). I was in labor at home all afternoon without realizing it (thought it was just back pain in addition to the contractions I was used to) until my water broke at around 8 PM. I was sitting on the couch after having taken a bath to ease the back pain and I felt a "pluck" sensation, stronger than a kick and then the water came gushing out. I hear that's pretty rare, though. I didn't go into active labor until closer to 10 PM and my doctor thought it would take until the next morning, but then I threw up (sorry if TMI) and the labor nurse said that was a good sign, that the vomiting actually helped me relax enough to dilate the rest of the way. Weird, huh? I delivered them at 3:45 and 3:59 AM and we all went home two days later. Hang in there - you're almost there!!

6. Pitbullzz

Pitbullzz Well-Known Member

DW had a new cramp...went to "just get checked out" She was 10cm dialated at 24 weeks 5 days with DS foot kicking the nurses fingers. They took them then and there...no roids, nothing...just as they were.

"Labor huh?!?!?!" She said. She just thought it wasa new kind of cramp coming along since she was growing some twins inside her. Before that...ZERO issues with the pregnancy.

7. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

With the twins, I made it to 38 weeks & was induced. I don't think they ever would have come out on their own, I hadn't had any contractions, no dilating, nothing. I delivered both vaginally, Luke by breech extraction.

8. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes my water broke, for all 3 of my pregnancies.
    With the twins, I was about to get into the bathtub, went to the kitchen to get a glass of water and felt the popping sensation. I spent over 30 mins trying to decide if it was my water, while I packed my bags. I decided to go get checked out, they check you with a little strip of paper that has a chemical on it. If it turns bright blue, it's your water (I had it done with my older 2 as well). My paper wasn't turning bright blue it was a blueish green color, the nurses were very puzzled. After monitoring us for about 2 hrs they called my dr in. By this time I had started contracting every 2-7 mins, some of them I felt (they HURT) and some of them I wasn't feeling much. My dr didn't even bother checking my water or dilation, when he got there he just said "Let's go ahead and get these babies out." I was 36 wks 2 days, and 10 days away from my schedule c/s.

9. vyckie72

vyckie72 Well-Known Member

I was delivered at 37 1/2 weeks because of IUGR by c section because they were both breech.

10. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

My c section was schedule for a monday and I went into labor early Saturday morning. As soon as I realized I was in labor, I went to the hospital which was lucky since when I got there my contractions were a minute apart and I was dilated to 6. They actually had to give me something to slow my contractions so they would wait the 3 hours for my c section! My doctor wouldn't let me go past 37 weeks anyway (I was 2 days short) because he said at that point its riskier to keep them in. Many many ladies have their babies at 38+ weeks though with no issues! 35 weeks is an awesome milestone!!!! Congratulations! The time will be very soon :) :)

11. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

I had an emergency c-section at 35 weeks, 2 days. I had been on bedrest since 28 weeks for a shortened cervix. I had noticed decreased fetal movement that day and went to L&D for monitoring and at the end of the session the twins' heartbeats suddenly disappeared and it took almost 5 minutes for the nurses to find them again. After that the doctor on call decided a c-section was necessary in case they were in distress - half an hour later they were born!! I had hoped to make it to 36 weeks and have a vaginal delivery because they were both head down but that was not to be...:( The recovery from the c-section was rough the first few days but all in all it was a very smooth delivery.

12. mom23sweetgirlies

mom23sweetgirlies Well-Known Member

I got put on modified bed rest at about 32 weeks after a couple weeks my blood pressure was getting higher and more protein in the urine so I got put on hospital bed rest. I started contracting so they gave me meds to stop it and did an amnio to check lung development. The lungs were not ready so I was given the steroid shots to speed that up and sent to Seattle. I was on bed rest there for a few more days and then contractions started again, they decided they were going to go ahead and let me deliver because my blood pressure was still worsening. My water broke on it's own while I was laboring in the hospital bed, it felt like a popping sensation and then a gush of water. When I was ready to push I was wheeled into the OR just in case and delivered twin A with 2-3 pushes, I then started bleeding really badly and was given an emergency c-section. The girls were delivered at 35 weeks and 3 days weighing 3lb 9.5oz (IUGR baby) and 4lb 12oz, baby B was in the special care nursery for 1 night and twin A was in there for 9 days. Baby B received oxygen for a few hours after her birth after that both were breathing on their own with no issues. They were basically just there as feeders/growers, baby A stayed longer because of her IUGR and she needed treatment for jaundice. They did great!

13. atinar

atinar Well-Known Member

I had been staying in hospital for 8 weeks on a complete bedrest when one of the babies' water broke when I was 35 weeks pregnant. 30 minutes later I was delivering my babies by c-section. :wub: What still amaze me is that my baby who was up in a very "comfortable area" broke the water not my other baby who was stuck down in a very "narrow area". :D Having the twins is a wonderful experience. It wasn't that easy though since I started modified bedrest when I was 5 months pregnant, besides after my hospital complete bedrest it took me 3 weeks to be able to walk again. But honestly, just seeing them :wub: makes me forget all the pain.

14. HK Mum

HK Mum Active Member

My waters broke at 35w 6d while I was out shopping. I tried to convince myself that it was nothing out of the ordinary, but I really knew that the time had come. I waited for DH to come home from work so he could take me to the hospital, although he was panicking and telling me I should just go without him. When I got to the hospital at 2.30pm it turned out that I was not dilated at all, and was not having any contractions. <_<
    I was then induced, and the boys were born vaginally at 14.14 and 14.40 the next day.

15. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

At 32.5 weeks I thought I lost my mucous plug and had my first internal exam. At 33 weeks 1 day I had really bad heartburn and pain. I had enchilladas for dinner so DH said it was just that. I started timing the pain and it happened 5 times in an hour. I called the on call dr (it was 3am ish) and she said to wait until it happened 6 times in an hour. I went to the bathroom before trying to go back to sleep. As I sat down my water broke. We went to the hospital with in the hour (takes 30 mins to get there) and by the time I was all hooked up I had contractions every 2 mins. We did the csection per my request (TTTS concerns). The boys came home from the NICU on their scheduled csection date.

16. becky5

becky5 Guest

I had my twins at 37 weeks, via c-section, due to threatening Pre-E(I was scheduled for the following week). I spent 9 weeks on bedrest prior to delivery. Way to go on the hospital bedrest! Best of luck!! :hug:

17. haleystar

haleystar Well-Known Member

nope

i had an irritable uterus and was doing weekly visits to triage from 17 weeks until delivery with contractions and by 30 weeks i was 2cm dialated, funneling and effaced.

nope, originally i was scheduled to deliver august 27th. initially my peri told me that i would not end up on bedrest and should make it to 37 weeks, obviously that didn't happen

yeppers. i was in the hospital on bedrest for a few days around 31 weeks, after being on home bedrest for over a month, and they noticed that i had protien in my urine but sent me home. less then a week later i was back and on bedrest in the hospital for another week with my OB thinking for sure i would go into labor before i hit 34 weeks (she didn't think i would make it past 29 weeks). well my peri (who wasn't actually my peri but her associate) sent me home on further bedrest. eventually my OB convinced my regular peri to do a scheduled c-section to avoid an emergency and i delivered at 35 weeks to the day. my toxicity levels were through the roof because of the pre-eclampsia but i delivered two healthy boys at 4lbs 15oz and 4lbs 14oz, measuring just over 19" a piece with apgars of 8 and 9. both ended up in PICU rather than the NICU as feeders and growers and until they could pass their car seat challenged.

18. MrsWright

MrsWright Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Did your water break? If so, what was it like? Where did it happen?---I was leaking but the bags were broken by the Dr.
    Did you go into labor? How long before you went to the hospital?--I didn't know I was in labor...went to get checked out bc I was feeling pressure down below
    Did you make it till your due date or c-section date?--no they were 6wks early
    Did your doctor deliver you early for some reason?--yes, bc I was on bedrest from 28wks-34, when I went in he monintored me and told me if I dilated to 5cm by lunch (I was 4cm at 8am) that he would break my waters and "end the drama". Bc I think he knew I would be back in a couple days to deliver anyways. I delivered vaginally:)
    Good luck!!!!

19. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I made it to 31 weeks, 6 days and had an emergency c-section due to pre-eclampsia.

20. h2believe

h2believe Well-Known Member

I was induced at 37.5 weeks. I'd been dialted 2cm for about three weeks but no progress from there. Initially it was going to be a c-section because Baby B was breech but I had a sono in the morning before the c/s and she had flipped so I decided to induce and try on my own. Only took three hours for the pitocin to work its magic and I was pushing before I knew it! However... didn't exactly work out as planned... Baby A was transverse and stuck and wouldn't come out.. we ended up having to use forceps and Baby B flipped after A was out so off I went for that dreaded c-section. So in essence, what I had feared most would happen, happened. I had to recover from two different deliveries. If I could go back with the knowledge I have now, I'd opt for the c-section for both!

21. jnholman

jnholman Well-Known Member

Did your water break?
    Nope

Did you go into labor?
    I was having contractions for the last 3 weeks of my pregnancy. My cervix was not responding though. I had one head down and one breech.

I made it to 37w 3d. I lost complete function of my right side and my left was starting to go. Plus, I gained 10 pounds in 9 days. I went in for a check up and my Dr new that I could not take any more. He stripped my membranes, I walked the mall till I could not walk any more and then went to the hospital. When they broke my water, there was less than a cup in baby A. I don't think they were comng on their own. 31 hours of labor later, our little men joined the world!

22. betha

betha Well-Known Member

Hi,
    After 12 weeks of BR I was induced due to pre-E symptoms. I was induced at 5 am and my labor stalled all day. I finally had a c-section right before midnight.
    GL!!

23. acjb2004

acjb2004 Well-Known Member

Did your water break? If so, what was it like? Where did it happen? Nope my water didn't break.
    Did you go into labor? How long before you went to the hospital? I went for my 36 week check up and found out I was 4cm dialated and the doc could feel baby A's head. I was told to go to Labor and Delivery needless to say my boys were born few hours later.
    Did you make it till your due date or c-section date? I had my boys at 35w6d I was suppose to be induced at 38weeks.
    Did your doctor deliver you early for some reason? n/a

24. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

I had a scheduled induction date with my favorit doctor. I was exactly 38 weeks, which is considered full term.
    I was only 3 cm dilated and 50% effaced at that time.
    My boys were delivered vaginally, 4.5 hours - and therefore on two different days! - apart.

25. cheezewhiz24

cheezewhiz24 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I was freaked out, too. It happens & you do want them out, so you do it. It's one day of not so much fun (for me) to get them out- now I've had 2.5 mos of fun with them!

Good luck,

26. RG215

RG215 Well-Known Member

I was scheduled for a c-section at 38.2 weeks, but never made it that far. At 36.5 weeks I was laying in bed around 6:30 AM. I said, "God, I don't know how much longer I can do this the anxiety is killing me." Stood up and my water broke (more of a trickle then a gush). Took a shower, called my DH home from work and headed to the hospital. Since both babies were breech we knew we were going to have a c-section so by 10:30 that morning both babies were born! Never noticed a contraction, although I was having them.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do great! Sleep as much as you possibly can!!!!

27. Reeny691

Reeny691 Well-Known Member

My pressures had started to go up in my 34th week. Only by a little but they were keeping a close eye. Week 36 I saw my OB on tuesday and when I went to the Peri the next day I had gained 3 pounds of water weight. There was a little protein in my urine, plus 1, and my pressure was still high. They wanted me to come back on Monday but when I mentioned that my pressures had been trending higher they had me do a 24 hour urine study and come back on Friday. Well the urine study was a waste of time cuz before they got the results on Friday I went back to the Peri and my urine was plus 4. I delivered that night by csection at 36 & 6.

28. busymomof3

busymomof3 Well-Known Member

I delivered at 31wks 2 days via emergency C-section due to insufficient placental blood flow to baby B,so i missed out on all the normal parts of labour :(

29. scrappycindy

scrappycindy Well-Known Member

Did your water break? Yes
    If so, what was it like? Pretty sure it woke me up with the sound and feel of a pop
    Where did it happen? I was in bed asleep
    Did you go into labor? Yes, contractions were about 4 min. apart about 2 hours after water breaking
    How long before you went to the hospital? Went to the hospital after I threw a bag together - about 45 min.
    Did you make it till your due date or c-section date? nope, c-section that night - 2 1/2 hours after water breaking; 34 wks 2 days
    Did your doctor deliver you early for some reason? water broke

30. emerel

emerel Active Member

My water broke at exactly 37 weeks, about 11:30 pm and my babies were born vaginally at 6:56 am and 7:05 am the next morning. I remember that once I hit 35 weeks I really did begin to feel miserable...no energy, very sluggish and did not really feel like doing anything at all. I worked basically until 35 weeks, and then I really just laid around the next two weeks. My babies were 6 lbs 14 oz and 7 lbs 1 oz when they were born and had no problems and therefore came home from the hospital with me.

I know it seems like time is dragging right now and that your babies will never get here, but trust me once they are born it is breathtaking how quickly time flies. My boys are going to be 9 months old on Tuesday and I am stunned that we are so close to the end of their first year!

31. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Yes, my water broke. I stood up and felt a gush of water. It was unmistakable. I had just stood up from the toilet. That was the beginning of labor. I did not have a scheduled date, my doctor was just letting me go into labor on my own. My water broke at 36 weeks 4 days. I headed to the hospital as soon as my water broke.

32. chellebelle

chellebelle Well-Known Member

Yes my water broke (last two it didn't) it definitely feels like a pop. We were due for an induction in one hour so we showed up right on time lol. That was at 37 weeks and 3 days. This labor went extremely fast from my water breaking at 6:40 am and baby a arriving at 9:07 am vaginally and med free (epidural was on its way dangit). Baby b was breech, they tried to turn her but couldn't tell if it was a hand or foot so off for a c-sec I went. Had to be put under as the spinal wouldn't work and baby b was born at 9:52 am. No nicu time. :) Recovery was the worst on day 2 but not as bad as I thought.

Good luck! It's all worth it!

33. angs241

angs241 Well-Known Member

2 visits to stop contractions, at 31 and 35 weeks.

Ended up being induced at 37 weeks, 6 days, and after 27 hours of labor, had DD at 38 weeks, and DS 18 minutes later.

34. mommyto3boys

mommyto3boys Well-Known Member

I delivered via a scheduled c-section at exactly 36 weeks. My boys were mono/di and Baby B had a velamentous cord, so 36 weeks was the longest my peri or ob would allow me to go. The c-section was due to the velamentous cord on B, but turned out to be very lucky for Baby A as the ob discovered his cord was wrapped around his neck when he started to pull him out. Baby A was 6 lbs 2 oz and 19 inches long and Baby B was 5 lbs 4 oz and 17 inches long. The size discrepancy was attributed to Baby B's velamentous cord and possibly the start of TTTS. Baby B needed a little bit of oxygen at birth and Baby A ended up in the NICU for 12 days due to respitory distress syndrome. Baby B and I went home 4 days later and the recovery from the c-section really wasn't that bad. I had my first son vaginally at 40 weeks and had a very rough delivery. My recovery from that one was much longer than the twins. Good luck and I am sure everything will be fine!

35. cec02c

cec02c Well-Known Member

Oddly enough labor was a great experience compared to the bedrest. I had been on bedrest and labor stopping meds for about three and 1/2 months. at 36 weeks I stopped meds, went to hospital, and they broke my water. I was already 4 CM dil. Contractions (which had really never stopped) started with full force. I had my epidural and hour later, and and hour after that I was pushing DS out. Five min. later DD followed. The epidural was perfect, I felt no pain. And the kids were delivered before Lunch!! Compared to the infertility drugs, and the bedrest, labor was awesome!