How did your little ones handle their first fireworks?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Utopia122, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

I didn't really know what to expect with the girls as far as their reaction to the fireworks we shot off at our house. Me and the kids sat on our deck and I left the sliding glass door open just in case the girls wanted to stay inside. It's a good thing I did. Allison was very curious and would watch the fireworks and trotted back and forth from inside to outside. Sarah, however, wanted no part. She would run into the living room and hide behind the recliner with our dog, Minnie. Both of them (the dog and Sarah) HATED the loud noises. So, I just popped in a movie for her and let her hang out in the living room. Every once in a while she would venture to the door, but run right back in the living room when she saw DH light another one. I'm glad we shot them off at home. I would have been in for a long night had we decided to go somewhere and watch them. So, for those of you kids watching for the first time, how did yours do?

2. Orestia

Orestia Well-Known Member

We failed to keep them up and they passed out promptly at 8:00 (still light out here). Our neighbors are shooting off fireworks like crazy, and the girls are still sound asleep. :rolleyes:

3. EMc2

EMc2 Well-Known Member

We went to a little harbor quite a ways away from where they were being shot off, but we could still see them plainly, just not as loud as being right under them. They were both a little taken aback at first. Then Eve immediately turned into a wrestler and put a death grip hold around my neck while Sy looked like a piece of velcro attached to my left side. They were fine and didn't cry as long as I didn't try to remove them. After they were over Sy was better but it took Eve about 20 minutes to figure out they were done. No more threat! Maybe next year?!

4. MichelleL

MichelleL Well-Known Member

We ventured down to my dad's house. He lives on a lake and he and his neighbors put on a show. I was VERY nrervous about keeping the girls up but they did great!! There were a couple of times they ran right to me to sit on my lap with the real loud ones but otherwise, they were so excited and clapped at the end of each bunch of them.

5. debid

debid Well-Known Member

We hired a sitter and they slept through the noise. Maybe next year we'll try.

6. jakeandpeytonsmommy

jakeandpeytonsmommy Well-Known Member

They were curious at first, then J wound up crying and saying how much he hated them and the loud noise.

7. Ericka B

Ericka B Well-Known Member

We went to see them and my boys were loving it for the most part. James kept going "ooooohhh" and pointing at them and saying his usual "whasat" (what that :) ) Jack was interested for a little while and then wanted to run around. The only thing that got his attention after a few minutes were the REALLY loud ones. Overall I think they liked them.

8. summerfun

summerfun Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My 2 did great! :Clap: We were at a distance so the "booms" were not too too loud, but you could still hear them. They watched them for a bit, but mostly liked walking around with the other 2 year old we were there with. :D

9. TFine

TFine Well-Known Member

We took ours and went with another family with twins the same age to the lcoal High School. We set up the play yard and let them toddle around. They loved it. It even rained the whole time.

Once the fireworks started we all held a baby close to us and they all loved it. Elizabeth was scared and excited. The booms made her brow frow but then the lights made her clap and smile.

It was fun.

Last year at the same fireworks I was 36 weeks pregnant and very miserable

10. Becca34

Becca34 Well-Known Member

We also took the Super Yard -- we go and sit on the 16th green of our golf course, which is really level. The babies hung out in their "pen" LOL, and enjoyed the attention from everybody, threw all their toys out, etc.

The fireworks display started at about 9:15pm, which is when they're usually getting their last bottle before bed....so, I put them in the double stroller to have their bottles, and they were mesmerized by the fireworks while they drank.

The noise didn't bother them. Karina started squealing out of delight, in fact. Kevan also watched, but was busy pulling his sister's hair.

Anyhow -- pretty successful! The Super Yard was a must, though....

11. HT

HT Well-Known Member

We tried 2 nights in a row to take them to see fireworks, but they were miserable by 9:00 (bedtime is 8:00) so we put them to bed. We'll try again next year!

12. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

They absolutely love them. I was surprised, because Lily doesn't really like loud noises, but they are just awed by the fireworks. "Fireworks, fireworks!! Boom, boom, boom!"

13. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

At 1st ds didn't like the noise.....he'd yell "Stop it! Too loud!" And a couple times smoke got in his eyes, so it took awhile for him to even open his eyes. But we just put a blanket on the lawn a good distance from the fireworks (but could still see well) and dh & I sat with a kid in each lap......from the start dd was clapping & saying "yay!" and pretty soon ds got excited, too. Someone had glow sticks for the little ones, which was a huge hit.

14. double-or-nothing

double-or-nothing Well-Known Member

They LOVED them. At first we covered their ears but within a minute or so, we removed our hands and they were fine. They were in total awe of the whole experience. We were on a beach laying on a blanket with some other friends and they just loved it. It was a really really late night for them but so worth it. Now when I read about them in a book or they see it on a program on tv, they will know exactly what they are talking about. I love exposing my girls to as many things as I can. I was worried about the noise but they were totally fine with it.

15. happybearsfan

happybearsfan Well-Known Member

This was our second year taking the boys to see fireworks. They LOVED them both last year and this year.

16. Sullyirishtwins

Sullyirishtwins Well-Known Member

For some reason last year -- they were already in bed and slept through it. This year with fireworks their jaw dropped in awe with colorful outdoor sky! Rianna kept saying, 'Wow', 'Wow', and Justin kept pointing at the sky :)

D, w/Rianna and Justin (21 mos)

17. hrichards

hrichards Well-Known Member

Mine did awesome, (surprised - because they hate the loud noise that a motorcycle makes) we went to my aunt and uncles house, big family gathering. Caralina sat with my Aunt and said OOOHH!!! and watched for the first half, then she got bored and found her papa and cousin and played with them for the rest of the evening, feel asleep on the way home.
    Audrey did great for the first half, she then feel asleep in her daddy's lap, no fussing. It was a great day!

18. kristie75

kristie75 Well-Known Member

We are very lucky that we can see the local public fireworks display right from our back deck. So we kept the girls up and went out there when they started. They were a bit scared at first (clung to us, said "inside inside") but they warmed up to them and by the end they really liked them.

19. Angela0580

Angela0580 Well-Known Member

They loved them, they kept saying pretty pretty. They only saw a few though, because normal bedtime is 7, so they only stayed up until 9!

20. marcy874

marcy874 Well-Known Member

We didn't take them to a big display, just shot some off at a friends house. They liked them for the most part until there were a few really loud ones, then they covered their ears and said "no more fireworks". :D