How do i INCREASE my milk supply ?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by Mommy2BofTwins, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Mommy2BofTwins

Mommy2BofTwins Well-Known Member

I really need help with my milk supply, I am taking ( 4 Fenugreek Caps ) 3 times a day, taking 3-5 times mother milk tea, pumping every 3 to 4 hrs but my milk production is not increasing, when i pump i get only 4 to 5 ounces milk all-together, each pumping session, i wish it was from each breast but it is counting both breast 4 to 5 ounces total. my twins are not latching at all, so i am just pumping every 3 to 4 hrs, it has reduced from 6 to 4 or 5 ounces total, i don't want it to decrease more, is there anything else i can do to improve my supply,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME !!! i really want my supply to increase.

2. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

You seem to be doing a lot to get your supply up. WHen you pump, how long do you pump a session?

Make sure you are eating and drinking enough. Oatmeal is also something that tends to increase supply. Not the sugary kind, the real stuff! Good luck!

3. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

Call your dr and get a script for Reglan. it works wonders!!!

Keep on nursing .....that is the sure fire way to increase it!!

Good luck Mommy, you are doing a great job!

4. Mommy2BofTwins

QUOTE(JicJac @ Nov 7 2008, 07:56 PM) [snapback]1061468[/snapback]
    You seem to be doing a lot to get your supply up. WHen you pump, how long do you pump a session?

Make sure you are eating and drinking enough. Oatmeal is also something that tends to increase supply. Not the sugary kind, the real stuff! Good luck!

i am pumping for b20 to 25 mins 5 mins after milk has stopped coming out. nothing left

5. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

I would pump every 2-3 hours instead of every 3-4. Make sure that you apply lanolin before pumping and massage your breasts while pumping. Are you using a hospital grade pump? Do the shields feel comfortable (not pinching) when you pump? If not, I would have an LC check you to be sure you are using the right size shield. That can make a big difference!

6. Mommy2BofTwins

QUOTE(melissao @ Nov 7 2008, 10:52 PM) [snapback]1061715[/snapback]
    I would pump every 2-3 hours instead of every 3-4. Make sure that you apply lanolin before pumping and massage your breasts while pumping. Are you using a hospital grade pump? Do the shields feel comfortable (not pinching) when you pump? If not, I would have an LC check you to be sure you are using the right size shield. That can make a big difference!

when i pump 2 to 3 i get only 1 ounce each breast, i do massage also, i am using symphony by medela, my sheild is also the right size, i am just ready to give up, please give me some hope :umm:

7. E&Msmom

E&Msmom Well-Known Member

You sound stressed! thats a major hinderance on milk supply. Try and relax!! Just htink you are giving your babies the best that you can!! Continue with all the measures you have already taken and try and relax. Dont watch the bottle while your pumping that makes it worse! How much sleep are you getting? I know you have new little ones but sometimes rest will help your supply as well. can someone keep babies content so you can get an hour of sleep here and there?? dont lose hope! You can do it!

8. lovelylily

lovelylily Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that when you pump every 2-3 hrs, you will get less per pumping but more total.  If that makes sense.  It's also really important when you're pumping in the beginning to try to mimic how often they would be nursing.  The more you empty your breasts, the more milk you make.  GL!

9. mrsriney00

mrsriney00 Well-Known Member

You can do it! You can also add some blessed thistle to your supply of herbs you are taking. It is really hard the fist 6 weeks but if you can make it though the first 6 you can do it. Keep on putting the babies to the breast. Just having them there even if they don't get much milk. they will help up your supply. Like the others said, relax, sleep as much as possible, drink so much water that you feel like you are drowning. and make sure you are eating enough. If you don't give your body enough calories if won't make enough milk. You are doing a great job!

10. cmccarthy

cmccarthy Well-Known Member

It sounds to me like, based on the age of your babies, you are getting plenty right now! I could be wrong here but it takes time to build supply up.
    Good luck though and stick with it.

11. prayzGod

prayzGod Member

QUOTE(Charly @ Nov 10 2008, 03:21 PM) [snapback]1064642[/snapback]
    It sounds to me like, based on the age of your babies, you are getting plenty right now! I could be wrong here but it takes time to build supply up.
    Good luck though and stick with it.

relax. stressing will make your supply go down, and oatmeal. eat it every day ( and cookies count too). i have heard drinking a beer helps :laughing: but i never tried it

12. lovebby

lovebby New Member

I just found out about this natural product, It is amazing!

My daughter is 9 months old, and my milk production was a little low, a friend of mine gave me this info. I tried it and it really works:

United States of America (Press Release) May 7, 2008 -- Many people across the world are learning about the enormous health benefits of Moringa. Mothers around the world have been using it obscurely as a natural way to increase breast milk, mothers produce copious amounts of highly nutritious milk for their infants. The term given an herb or food that increases the flow or production of breast milk is galactogogue.
    Moringa has been clinically proven to increase the production of breast milk whether it is consumed before or after the birth of a baby.Mothers who took Moringa were shown to produce more than 2x the amount of breast milk than those who didn't.
    Go to http://www.jmk.myzija.com/zijaweb/z3/zija_science.html