How do I keep my girls from wandering out of the backyard?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by siobhan, Jun 3, 2008.

1. siobhan

siobhan Well-Known Member

I do have the superyard but it's used to protest the tv LOL, our backyard has no fence we can't actually put a fence up as it is part of an association and we have a lake nearby, so I have a walker/runner now the other twin is not walking as of yet but I want to be prepared so what or, can I buy anything to keep them in????

TIA

2. aandax246

aandax246 Well-Known Member

Okay I saw this on TV so I don't know if it would work, but a family had a special needs child and to protect the buttons on the TV, they had a piece of plexi glass cut to fit over the TV screen and buttons and you could still see the TV and use the remote. Maybe put a strip of the plexi over the buttons to protect the TV and then free up your superyard to use outdoors.

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

WOW!! That would be rough. I gated mine on the deck for the first 2 yrs. till they stopped putting everything in their mouths. (Have a dog and have to pick up everyday, but what if I had missed and the picked up a piece left behind :bad: ) So I am NO help!!!

We used blue painters tape on all the buttons and everything for ours. It hid them enough that they forgot about them most of the time. They sell some plexi stuff for that purpose at BRU.

We used to live in an area like that but no water - and I couldn't imagine how hard it would be for SO LONG!!!

4. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

We use the superyard and a blanket for outside. We have a lake and a huge hill they could roll down so we had to do something. :) We are getting ready to gate our front porch in and fix up for a play area. :)

5. Babies4Susan

Babies4Susan Well-Known Member

We have one of those plexiglass things in front of the TV buttons, I believe I bought it at BRU. You can then use the superyard in the backyard.

We have a lot like that, with a wetland next to us. We just make sure we are always watching what they are doing, and teaching them their boundaries. We put their play stuff on the opposite end of the yard from the wetland, just to be safe.

6. debid

debid Well-Known Member

I don't let my boys outside without direct supervision ever. In fact, I have flip locks on all exterior doors to prevent them from letting themselves out. Our lake/forest/no fence combo is rough but this is where we live and the extreme supervision part is only for so many years. I don't know exactly how old they'll be when they can handle it but I know my lake friends were letting their daughters out with casual supervision when they were 5 & 7 and both were well-versed on where exactly their play area ends. We use some visual markers already to remind them... can be a boulder or a tree or a sign... whatever, just point it out and repeat, repeat, repeat. Good luck!

7. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I think it's ridiculous some of the rules those assosciations make up. Can you write a letter to them, explaining the danger of not being allowed to build a fence?? I'd consider moving, if it were me! :) I can't think of anything besides the superyard......which mine hated soon as they learned to walk & kept pushing on the sides till I thought it would fall over.

8. ehm

ehm Banned

Continuous supervision and train train train. Go out for short periods of time and set the boundaries how you want them to be. We don't have a fenced in yard, I am always outside while they are outside but I know they will stop at the 'line' because that is how they have been taught all along. Ironically the other day a ball went into the street and my child went and got it, that is an extreme no no. It happened when my mom was watching them and I was shocked, seriously they stop immediately on the line no matter what. Well, when I asked my child why they told me a car had come along and the driver kept waving at them to go so they did. I told them next time to thank the driver but tell them they are waiting for an adult.

Anyway, I would start with short 10-15 minute periods for outside adventures, teach the boundaries (I always did "STOP" if they were really going with a full head of steam or "too far" if it was a little more casual stroll that lead them over the line), and have a no tolerance policy in that if they don't listen you go immediately inside. Most children I know love being outside and will do just about anything to be able to continue to play outside!

9. jpartlan

jpartlan Active Member

I'm probably no help but I just chase them when we are playing in the front yard. We have a driveways and a sidewalk surrounding the upper part of the yard, so I'm trying to teach them to "stay on the grass" And I have a fenced in backyard. But when I'm camping I just keep my eyes on them and chase them if they are getting too far away.

Good luck.

10. cwinslow7

cwinslow7 Well-Known Member

I think you should put in an invisible fence and put the collars on them. DH and I joke about this all the time (please know that I'm just kidding)

No help but wanted to wish you luck.

11. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

I agree with ehm, just keep working with them. We don't have a fence, and have a wide open backyard with a common area behind it. Only in the past few months, and they will be 6 soon, have I allowed them outside when I am not with them, but I can watch them through the window. They know that, and know that if they stray out of my sight, they will have to come in. They also know that they aren't allowed to ride bikes or scooters unless I am out there with them. You can do it without a fence, you just have to work with them. Yours are so young, that they will need constant supervision while outside for a long time yet, anyway.

12. becky5

becky5 Guest

I agree, keep working on it, showing them the boundaries by stopping them, and your persistence will pay off. We do not have a fence, and not a very big yard at all, so my big kids are allowed in the street if I am out there, but the babies are not. They do test the limits sometimes, but more often than not they stay where they are supposed to.

13. kristie75

kristie75 Well-Known Member

Do you have a deck you can gate? Our yard is fenced but I never let my girls down there. We are fortunate to have a deck with a gate at the top and they play up there. I stay outside with them or if I have to run in for something I can see them from the kitchen windows.