How do I tell the daycare provider that we are leaving?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Safari, Jul 23, 2008.

1. Safari

Safari Well-Known Member

I adore our in-home daycare providers and part of me really doesn't want to leave them..... But we have an opportunity to start them in the fall at a great preschool (preschool here is very expensive with long, long wait lists). Currently they only attend daycare 2 x per week, but it's a small daycare so that does impact their income.

More importantly, I'm just distraught at having to break the news to her. They've become like family and I can't figure out a way to tell them. Is it too weird to write a letter? I know I'm going to cry. I keep trying to find the right time/way to tell them....... I always pick up the kids, but pickup time is so hectic. She travels alot on the wknds, so there is never a "good" time to call her.

thx for any advice!

2. ehm

ehm Banned

If you appreciate her as much as it appears through your words I would absolutely not do it in a letter. Putting myself in her shoes, I would find that rather impersonal and would probably prefer that we cry together over the change. I think I would mention at pick up that I would like to speak to her about the children and ask her contact you at a convenient time or to let you know when would be a good time.

I would not let it go too long or it seems like it is really going to eat at you which the provider will probably be able to sense at some point or other and wonder what it up.

Congrats on the great preschool find!!

3. dfaut

dfaut 30,000-Post Club

Safari, I would hang back one day at pick up time and tell her and if you do cry - it will just show her how much she means to you and your family. I might tell her and give her a card or letter that she can use as a reference for future clients. :hug99:

4. sharongl

sharongl Well-Known Member

Remember too, that you aren't pulling them for a bad reason, it is because they are growing and it is time to move on. My guess is that she will understand.

5. moski

moski Well-Known Member TS Moderator

She will definitely understand your reasons for the change. And telling her now gives her the opportunity to fill your spots when you leave. I know it was very hard for me the last day the kids were in their daycare. I cried, the teachers cried, it was a tough day.