How do you do christmas gifts for your 3 yr old g/g twins?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by 2IrishBlessings, Nov 27, 2006.

1. 2IrishBlessings

2IrishBlessings Well-Known Member

I have started my christmas shopping for my DD's. I am excited about Christmas this year because the girls are older and just LOVE love Santa Claus. They of course want everything, something they just started doing since I started watching a 4 year old that says she wants every toy she sees on TV and so my girls picked up on it. They are older this year and there are alot more toys for them now.
    My dilema is figuring out whether to buy 2 of things. They both want the Little Mermaid vanity set but do I really buy 2 of them or let them share? I only bought one but then started feeling guilty. I dont buy everything the same, smaller things I have bought different ones. But wondered how you are deciding on what to get each girl, or are you buying alot of stuff in 2's Also at 3 1/2 are they old enough for a doll house for barbies? They are mostly into dressing up as princesses and cooking in their kitchens but do like some barbie toys. I am probably over thinking this whole thing but just really need some ideas or advice on how other twin moms are deciding on gifts.

Thank you Thank you for any help you give me.

2. 2IrishBlessings

I have started my christmas shopping for my DD's. I am excited about Christmas this year because the girls are older and just LOVE love Santa Claus. They of course want everything, something they just started doing since I started watching a 4 year old that says she wants every toy she sees on TV and so my girls picked up on it. They are older this year and there are alot more toys for them now.
    My dilema is figuring out whether to buy 2 of things. They both want the Little Mermaid vanity set but do I really buy 2 of them or let them share? I only bought one but then started feeling guilty. I dont buy everything the same, smaller things I have bought different ones. But wondered how you are deciding on what to get each girl, or are you buying alot of stuff in 2's Also at 3 1/2 are they old enough for a doll house for barbies? They are mostly into dressing up as princesses and cooking in their kitchens but do like some barbie toys. I am probably over thinking this whole thing but just really need some ideas or advice on how other twin moms are deciding on gifts.

Thank you Thank you for any help you give me.

3. morgan

morgan Well-Known Member

my twins are b/g, but I was thinking about your post from how it was when I was a little girl. I'm not a twin, but I have 2 sisters close in age to me. my mom didn't give us the exact same thing, but did give us similar things. we'd each get a very similar doll, but with a different dress/hair color, that kind of thing. One year my sister got the doll carriage, and I got the doll stroller. same thing, but different, not exact. Unless it is something that they absolutely have to have that is very specific (both obsessed with ariel doll, for instance), I would go with something different. The table I would get for one of the girls, and then the the other girl something equal to it, but not the same. In the end they both benefit because they'll have more toys to play with.

4. j_and_j_twins

j_and_j_twins Well-Known Member

My girls (fraternal) will be 3 1/2 at christmas and of course very excited. I have to say I buy two of everything and usually the same, if not they argue over it. Last year my SIL bought the little people doll house for one and the farm for the other, the fights we've had over that ahhhhh.. if it's a really big gift then share, ie. climbing toy/frame. Usually only vary on colour ie I have a princess thing and have got one in pink and one purple.

So my opinion, maybe get another little mermaid vanity if that's wot they're both asking for. But if it's something they've not asked for, then maybe a little variation is ok (like the lady above said)

Good luck (ps I'm english living in Canada, where in Ireland are you from?)

amanda

5. Becky02

Becky02 Well-Known Member

I buy things that are similar not the same usually. They then know what is theirs and what is their sisters so no fighting (most of the time I just say it's your sisters and ask her if you can play with it), they are learning what to share and they both share very nicely. Now last year for Christmas my in-laws got one of the the Dora house and the other a My Little Pony thing and they both shared that very nicely only a little fighting here and there. I think they could share the vanity it is something big enough where they can take turns sitting at it, for bigger things like that they get only one. But of course that depends if you think they are really going to fight over it, I don't like getting them two of everything because I learned they will fight anyway because it's that one they want not the other so I just get one big thing or two similar things so they can tell them apart and not fight over who is whos.

6. Jooles73

Jooles73 Well-Known Member

we usually buy the same thing sometimes different colors but the girls always seem to fight over the same thing even if they have 2 of the same thing, they still fight over one toy. but for the big ticket items depending on what it is we only have one. like the barbie stove I got a large one a little over a year ago, but I got the one that is big enough for both to use at the same time so they wouldn't fight over it.

7. Tam1969

Tam1969 Well-Known Member

I plan to buy two of smaller items for my g/g twins. With the bigger items, I will have both of their names on it meaning that they have to share the item. I have bought lots of doubles in the past and found that my girls do not play with the same item at the same time.

8. thompsontwinners

thompsontwinners Well-Known Member

I am buying the same thing for them. If something is a different color than I do that. But if it is a big thing, it is usually 2.

9. mnellson

mnellson Well-Known Member

I usually buy two of the same item, unless it's big (kitchen set, slide/climber). They fight no matter what I do...they could have the same, different, same but different color, only one or eight of the same thing and they STILL want what the other has. The fight can usually be resolved when we have two of the same thing. But, some toys that we only have one they ALWAYS fight over. It's as if they just KNOW that they have to share.

If I buy two of the same toy but differnt color, one color usually becomes the favorite and they fight over that one. Just recently, though, they have two different dogs and for whatever reason, they like the one that they got! It's a miracle!

So, to answer your question, I usually buy two as long as it's reasonable. They have to learn how to share, but we have to respect the fact that they ALWAYS have to share without choice. I think finding a balance is key.

10. sharon_with_j_and_n

sharon_with_j_and_n Well-Known Member

My girls are 3 and a half and their 3rd birthday was the first time we bought one item and gave it to both of them (cradle, high chair and table set for their dolls). They share it nicely and now it is very liberating to know that we can get them one toy to share. Joint gifts this year include the Leap Frog Word Whammer and my MIL got them the V-smile. Of course, for Christmas, we got them both skates and each a toboggan, but because of their age, their different tastes are emerging as well. We bought Jamie a "Scooby Doo" movie (her favourite!) and Nicole is getting "The Little Mermaid". Usually at video time, one is downstairs watching a movie on the big TV while the other watches on our portable DVD player in our bedroom (very different viewing tastes although they both like the same shows on Treehouse). With craft stuff, we get each their own: paints, crayons, play dough, stamps, stickers, and pencil crayons. They like the sense of ownership and organizing their own items in boxes and in their pencil cases, but they usually "craft and colour" at the same time. So I guess my answer is to take the cues from them and try to satisfy their need for sole ownership of some things while encouraging them to play together and share items that lend themselves to cooperative play. Happy shopping!

[​IMG]

11. abbymarie

abbymarie Well-Known Member

Ditti to everything about the small items the same or very similer and sharing larger items. It depends a lot on you kids too. My girls LOVE animals, so for instance I have to buy two frogs, not a frog and a bear, or they will fight over the one frog. In most cases they share very well. I wouldn't buy two vanity sets, but maybe get double on the accesaries if possible...or something very similer. Again, it all depends on what youur girls will tolerate. In our house, one is more dominant and one more compliant, so they take turns pretty easily.

I hope that all these posts help you and not confuse you. SOmething I do a lot is let the kids do the shopping. Often I find that while one wants the purple dinasour puppet, the other on prefers the doll baby set!! You just never know. They are very good about putting things back and saying "bye bye"...so this may not work for everyone.

12. 2IrishBlessings

After thinking and thinking Dh and I have decided to buy them the Little Mermaid vanity set and one the little mermaid kitchen. I found some really REALLY good deals and paid just under 100 for both of them. This will help them learn to share still and makes them both happy. The smaller items we do buy the same thing just different colors or animal. Thank you so much for all your input. I know it wasnt a really big deal I was just having a bad day and that was on my list of important things to resolve for the day.

13. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

For me, it depends on the item. Basically, anything that only one person can play with at a time (for an extended period of time) they get their own: Leapsters, tricycles, My First Leappads... They share big items like a play kitchen, Dollhouse, Little People sets, train table etc. They really don't need two kitchens. Since most kids don't even get one play kitchen I don't feel bad that they need to share one, KWIM.

Just in the last few months, they've gotten much better at sharing. Last Christmas (2.5 years) there are many items that we would have needed two of. This year we can get away with basically one of everything as long as it isn't strictly a one player item. It really increases their toy options when we don't get lots of matching things.

14. MellysLittleBoos

MellysLittleBoos Well-Known Member

My girls will be 3 on the 3rd. When it comes to dolls, stuffed animals, etc we will buy two. But if we are buying a playset, like a little people playset or something, we only buy one. They usually do pretty good playing together with those.

15. pam2baby

pam2baby Well-Known Member

my girls are also 3 so I feel your pain...
    We are getting them each an eisel ( not sure on the spelling) and also a littlest petshop for each but different.
    They are okay with sharing sometimes but for most of the time it needs to be the same, I'm not into the scraps they have if one gift rocks over the other.
    Currently, they are having a non-stop battle royal over a mickey & minnie mouse- I've actually hid them tonight hoping they won't notice. ya right!!!! merry christmas shopping & good luck! p