How do you handle the annoying group behaviors?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by MarchI, May 17, 2011.

1. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I've noticed lately that my two will egg each other on and when they are acting bad, it lasts longer because there is a sibling there to watch/cheer. And by "bad" and example is last night Jacob was throwing matchbox cars into the drawer of the train table because the bang was very funny. I also realized that I stand there and am shocked that they are doing this because with a single child, it doesn't happen. How do you guys handle this type of behavior?

2. eagleswings216

eagleswings216 Well-Known Member

I know exactly what you mean - they totally feed on each other! Mine are just starting to listen more when I tell them not to do something, so I try that, and if that doesn't work, I usually redirect them to something that is acceptable. For example, if they are throwing things I don't want them to throw, I ask them to stop, and if they don't, I will give them balls to throw. Something like that. That seems to be what works best for us in the age they are now.

3. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

I agree with this; even though my guys are chugging toward 3, distraction is still the best tool in my parenting kit! If I try timeouts, they think it's a game (especially if they're both in timeout), and they laugh at me if I yell. So for throwing, I tell them "we don't throw our toys, but let's find a ball to throw!", then I grab something like a Nerf ball and we practice throwing. My mom thinks I'm nuts for letting them throw balls in the house, but I'd rather have them throw a Nerf ball than Thomas the Tank Engine! :lol:

Same thing for banging on the table at meals. They love to bang their hands (or worse, their forks!) on the table because it sounds cool, and they will get each other going. I'll say "please don't bang, it's too loud" (Nate hates loud noises, so this is pretty effective), I'll warn them that I will take forks away if they bang them, and I distract them by doing high fives or talking about something that interests them.

It's tough with twins because they think that they are the funniest people on the earth, and it's hard for Mama to compete! ;)

4. mommylaura

mommylaura Well-Known Member

It's so easy to distract them at this age - get out some balls and start rolling them around, or play music and start dancing. The whole "no no" thing can go on and on because one of them keeps returning to the bad behavior!

5. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

Just to clarify, this behavior usually manifests when I am across the room trying to cook dinner. I agree that they think they are the funniest people on earth and nothing competes (big brother might come a very close second).