how do you know if you should change formula?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by audie522, Jul 28, 2008.

1. audie522

audie522 Active Member

My baby boy is crying all the time now. I know he has a lot of gas so I have been feeding him upright and burping him during feeding. He doesn't spit up that much though but I'm not sure if I should change his formula. (the twins will be 4 weeks thursday) I give them about 2 bottles a day of breast milk and the rest is formula. I give them the storebrand from walmart- the gentlesase kind for gassy babies. At first he started to cry only when I put him down but now he seems to be uncomfortable all the time- he bends his back as if he is in pain. Any advice?

2. MissyEby

MissyEby Well-Known Member

QUOTE(jandj2008 @ Jul 28 2008, 05:19 PM) [snapback]900939[/snapback]
    My baby boy is crying all the time now. I know he has a lot of gas so I have been feeding him upright and burping him during feeding. He doesn't spit up that much though but I'm not sure if I should change his formula. (the twins will be 4 weeks thursday) I give them about 2 bottles a day of breast milk and the rest is formula. I give them the storebrand from walmart- the gentlesase kind for gassy babies. At first he started to cry only when I put him down but now he seems to be uncomfortable all the time- he bends his back as if he is in pain. Any advice?

It sounds like silent reflux to me. :( poor little guy .

3. annagloth

annagloth Well-Known Member

I can't help but I would love to know the answer as well as one of my boys does the same thing!! I'm sure somebody here can help! I called the nurse at my doctor's office today and she told me to try mylicon and if that doesn't help and it continues that they would probably change the formula.

4. ld2008

ld2008 Well-Known Member

One of my girls did the same thing. We went through every formula kind their is. Nutramigen finally did the trick.

5. beemer

beemer Well-Known Member

Could be colic which might be helped by changing formula to Nutramigen or Allimentum or something along those lines, but also sounds like it could be the start of reflux, too. I think it was around 6 weeks that we started having the back arching & screaming during & after eating (and at that age, isn't that 24 hours a day??) that we found out were the start of reflux, despite the fact that they almost never actually spit up. Just lots of back arching and screaming. We had upper GI's done to confirm silent reflux.

6. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

I would call your Ped if you havent already and let them know about the gassiness and constant crying. Sounds like maybe some colic or some reflux. A good sign of reflux is the arching of the back on the bottle. That usually shows that they are in pain during the feeding. Maybe your Ped will get him on some reflux meds i.e Zantac, Prevacid, etc. That will help with the pain. Both of mine had reflux and once we got them on the correct meds it made life alot better for everyone.

Derek also had a milk protein allergy (also the cause for him being so uncomfortable) and had to be on the Alimentum. Definitely helped him alot. I hope you and he get some relief soon. :hug99:

7. ladybutterflyrose

ladybutterflyrose Well-Known Member

I hope you find out what it is soon. Poor little guy :hug99: .

8. lisaessman@verizon.net

[email protected] Well-Known Member

Try Similac Sensitive b/c it is lactose free. It worked for my girls! :)

9. heathertwins

heathertwins Well-Known Member

I found my girls personality and fussiness changed on their actually "due date" and fussiness increased up to 6 weeks after their "due date" (from the book healthy sleep habits happy child HSHHC) it was sooooo true. I had someone try to tell me that it was the formula but about 1.5 weeks later she eased up over that 6 weeks post due date fussiness and was so much better. I did get an apology because they could see the difference in her behaviour and I hadn't changed a thing. My daughter especially during the "witching hour" which is after supper for her 7 pm - 9 pm there was NOTHING I could do for her. She just cried. This witching hour is common with MOST babies. My little girl would watch T.V. on her tummy on my dh knees and he'd pat her bottom. (Happiest baby on the block)

Hope this helped.