How early did you find out you were having twins?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lareesab, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

12 weeks. I was on BC and had no idea how far along I was, so my OB wanted an u/s--that's when we found twins. I think back and wonder if my OB had her suspicians and just didn't say anything to me. HUMMMM??!!

2. DATJMom

DATJMom Well-Known Member

6 weeks. I did IVF and had a huge bleed. I rushed to the RE thinking the worst. Did an ultrasound and there were 2 tiny sacs with heartbeats. DH said "are you sure?" :D

3. MusicalAli

MusicalAli Well-Known Member

7w1d. It was a dating u/s, although my chart was perfectly on target (I conceived on CD 47, but they just wanted to be sure). Anyway...at first the tech did it abdominally and showed us one beautiful heartbeat. Then she had me empty my bladder because she wanted to do it transvag. I had no idea why (nor did I know they did that! Talk about ignorant). I just thought it was normal. So, DH was left alone with her and he asked her if everything was OK. She said she thought she saw "something else", which I thought was like a fibroid or something (as my mom has those). As soon as she put the probe in it was very obvious there were two babies in there. SHOCK of my life.

We knew they were identical but thought they could be momo. Thankfully, we found a dividing membrane soon after.

4. LanieK

LanieK Well-Known Member

Fun to read everyones stories!! For us, I had a 13 week u/s in the midwifes office and we both saw one baby, one heartbeat and she suggested it was a boy by the heartrate. At 19 weeks we went for a special genetic counseling/ u/s as I was 34 and supposedly of advanced maternal age-- gee thanks...
    The dr. started looking and adjusted his glasses and said "ummmm, we have a problem." We were freaking out at that point. Then, he said "no, I mean, uhhhhh, well there are just extra parts!" What!!!! We were shocked especially as this is a guy who has done this exclusively for 20+ years. You'd think he would have a better line than that! Anyhow, he then apologized and said "O.K., here we go... baby A boy! Baby B boy!" We were still shocked but thrilled there were no extra parts!! He had to explain several times... identical boys, twins, two babies!!! We were shaking and crying the rest of the day and called everyone we knew! My mom raced out to the store to buy two blue bears for my dd. When we picked her up from school that day-- we handed them to her to tell her about her new siblings. she was confused and finally said a boy?? And then we said she was right but two of them! She ran back to tell her first grade teacher the news!! What a day!
    Lanie

5. jschaad

jschaad Well-Known Member

Around 5.5 weeks... We did IVF and transferred 3 embies. My HCG was 2098 so we were so nervous that it was triplets... I remember the day so clearly... I was about to throw up just waiting to find out. After 4 years of battling infertility just to hear your pregnant is a blessing. To hear twins omg i was smiling so big and DH just looked at me like here we go. LOL... I got out of the u/s an called everyone i could think of... Then at 14.5 weeks we knew Baby B was a boy and at 18 weeks we knew baby A was a girl... Sometimes i look at our lives and think "we have come along way baby"! I feel so blessed and posts like this make me reflect on it all... :) I knew that we would get pregnant one day and i just knew my whole life i would have twins. After the infertility i see i had to battle that to get those twins...

6. happybearsfan

happybearsfan Well-Known Member

I was 10w2d, and it was my second ultrasound. I kept bleeding, so they kept scanning me. At 6w5d, we saw my one (haha) beautiful baby with one beautiful beating heart.

At 10w, I had a red bleed with clots and was terrified, so they scheduled me for an ultrasound that Monday afternoon. DH went with me (thank God.)

At my first u/s, I could see the screen and saw the beating heart right away. This time, it was a different doctor, and the screen was turned away and I couldn't see. The doctor wasn't saying anything, and my heart absolutely sank. Finally she said, "Is there anything special about this pregnancy?" "No," I said, while I thought except that I want it really, really bad!

DH started to say "no," but he could see the screen. "Because there are two," the doctor said. "You're having twins."

I sat up (bad idea when you have the transvag thing in) and almost fell off the table. "Lay down!" the doctor said.

Near tears b/c I had been convinced it was bad news, I said, "Please let me see!"

And there they were. And life has never, ever been the same.

7. belinda07

belinda07 Well-Known Member

7 weeks because they wanted to do an u/s to check that this was a 'viable' pregnancy as I had had a blighted ovum a month before.

8. pamallhoney

pamallhoney Well-Known Member

Prior to me even getting pregnant two people from my church came up to me at separate times and said, "Twins next time!" With the second person I kinda had an attitude and said to him, "Why would you say that?" And he replied, "Because I always wanted twins and didn't get them...so you can have them!" My then 12 yr. son believed from the beginning because of the words they spoke. Nothing seemed out of the normal to my Dr. Then at 19w3d I was hospitalized for this awful pain in my upper right rib area. It was a Sunday and they called in the U/S tech in case it was my appendix. Well, he scanned the baby and said, "Have you had your big u/s yet?"..."Nope not til next week." "Well you are in for a surprise! Do you want to know now or wait?" ..."Umm, NOW!"... "It's TWINS!" We were shocked, but had been prepared too! God moves in mysterious ways, but I love his surprises!

We had to wait until our big ultrasound to find out the sexes. That was a long, exciting, suspenseful week!

9. asahlin

asahlin Well-Known Member

5 months pregnant had my first ultrasound, only had two months before they were born to adjust to the shock of having two!!

10. igonzales21

igonzales21 Active Member

I was about 6 weeks, I had done 6 pg test at home and were still in shock t be pregnant, we hadn't been for 5 years so why now, we were just going to confirm pregnancy Feb. 14, and what a shock I was so in shock I didn't know my day or what date it was, I was so in denial I made sure, my DR had an mini u/s machine in the room and he noticed it right away but didn't see the heart beat one of the babies, he sent me down for a THERAL ultrasound and yep there they were 2 of them, my life change from that day forward.

11. angeez78@hotmail.com

[email protected] Well-Known Member

8 wks was my 1st ob appt. and my dr. said he felt I was "measruing behind" so he had me schedule an U/S. He was concerned the baby wasn't growing properly because I had just been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and it wasn't under control yet. We were't expecting to get pg. becuase my DS was only 9 mo. and he was conceived thru IVF. Well sure enough 2 wks later we had the U/S and the tech put the probe on my stomach and took it right off, I wasn't concerned because her facial expression wasn't scared looking or anything. She said well you're going to be getting kind of big and I said it's twins isn't it and she said yup! What a shock to first of all be pregnant on our own and 2nd of all TWINS! My husband said "WHAT!!!!!"

12. MrsBQ02

MrsBQ02 Well-Known Member

Around 7 weeks- let's say I was a little on the overly paranoid side of things and went in to the ER for something random.... yeah, that was a shock! DH was in DC on business, too- had to call and tell him over the phone! :eek:

13. june07girl

june07girl Well-Known Member

19 weeks.

First Ultrasound.

Tech tells DH the ultrasound will take about 1/2hour and sends him to the waiting room.

Tech puts wand on my belly and says "This is going to take longer than 1/2 hour and I'll tell you why.....there are two in there" Me...."What the crap! Everyone at work was right, I am having twins!"

DH comes in after an hour and is very worried that the ultrasound took so long.

He sits down and I say "What was your number one wish??" and he says "Healthy" and I say "Okay, you got that one, now what was your number two wish?" and he says "Twins?!?!" and I say "You got it!".

He was thrilled, he had always wanted twins. We joke now that I wanted girls so he gave them to me and he wanted twins and I gave them to him.

14. ddancerd1

ddancerd1 Well-Known Member

7 weeks at my first appt which was really just a "getting to know you" new doctor appt (i had a confirmation pregnancy test at another office where i peed in a cup). but then i told the new doc that my dh insists we're having twins (twins don't run in my family) and she was like, "let's go do an u/s and i'll show you you're not having twins!" when we saw the two jumping beans my doctor said, "you gotta be ****in' me!" i started laughing and crying, i was so excited (i always wanted twins). i sped home to show dh the u/s picture and he jumped up and down from excitement heehee

15. Holland

Holland Well-Known Member

7 weeks.
    First appointment at the dr. I was sure I was more then 10 weeks pregnant. So when we all saw that there where 2 sacs(??)she said she wanted to do a vaginal u/s to see how many heartbeats a sac!!!! well each had one. and that I was "only" 7 weeks pregnant I was more in shock about the 7 weeks than twins ha ha (have NO idea when we made them ha ha)

In Holland everyone gets a u/s at 12 weeks and since last year also at 20 weeks. This is if you go to a widwife. And only if it's medical (twins) you go to a gyn. and will get more u/s if needed.

I went to the gyn because our first Daughter was stillborn at 34 weeks

16. monie rose

monie rose Well-Known Member

I had an u/s @ 5w 2d and we saw 2 sacs. I had to come back 2 weeks later to confirm twins.

17. runnergirl

runnergirl Well-Known Member

21 weeks, 4 days at my first u/s.

It was my 1st pg, we got pg easily within a month after deciding to "not stop it". From the moment I had the positive home pg test, I told DH I was scared we'd have twins (for no reason, just my own paranoia). At every appt, when my OB checked the HB, I always asked, "are you sure there is only one?" She always said "yes, one strong HB". I was never sick, wasn't big enough to suspect twins, until we went for our 1st u/s. By 5 months pg, my "fears" of having twins had subsided, I had been reassured plenty of times that there was only one baby. So, at the u/s, as the tech is squirting goop on my belly and DH is sipping his Starbucks, we tell her we don't want to know the baby's gender. She starts the u/s and says "ok, but you know you are having twins, right?" That moment forever changed our lives...apparently I told her to "shut up" (she reminded me of this recently at a u/s for Baby #3!). Needless to say, DH had a lot to drink that night!

Obviously now, I think having twins is the most amazing thing ever!

18. Pitbullzz

Pitbullzz Well-Known Member

we found out right before her 9th week with an ultrasound.

does the measurements at that time really mean anything?

19. Oneplus2more

Oneplus2more Well-Known Member

10 weeks, my OBGYN does a routine u/s at your first prenatal for dating purposes. I was watching the screen and he said - "do you see what I see?" I said "yeah, the heartbeat - cool" and he said "two" I said "what?! why?!" :lol:

FTR (so y'all don't think I'm completely clueless) I did notice two sacs and two heartbeats, but it just hadn't clicked. It was a transvaginal ultrasound and it sure seemed like he was moving that wand around quite a bit - I thought the pic of the one bay just kept flipping around. :blush:

20. SweetpeaG

SweetpeaG Well-Known Member

17weeks. It would have been 20 weeks at our first u/s since we had no inkling, but I landed in the ER at 17w w/kidney stones (not fun) and they accidentally saw them when doing an u/s to see if i could pass the stones or need them surgically removed.

DH was in Alaska on business, so I had to tell him over the phone (I COULDN'T wait until he got home in 3 days and he knew I'd gone to the ER). He didn't believe me.

21. Ange2k25

Ange2k25 Well-Known Member

We went for the first and only scheduled ultrasound a few days shy of 20 weeks. My insurance only pays for one ultrasound and the OB suggested we go in between 19-21 weeks for the full scan. I really wanted to know if the baby was a boy or a girl. There'd been no indication of twins-the OB only found one heartbeat each time(of course, never really went looking for a second) and I measured close to my dates. As soon as the tech put the wand on my belly, I couldn't figure out the image on the screen and DH got this weird look on his face. The tech then asked if twins run in my family. They don't, but of course there was only one reason she was asking that question. DH's older brother and his wife have ID girls, so my father-in-law thinks the twins are from his family history.

22. lareesab

lareesab Well-Known Member

I found out it was twins at 7 wks. I had went in the week before to confirm that I was pregnant and they called me and said that they wanted me to come in for an u/s which I thought was kinda weird b/c it was so early so I was really worried that something was wrong, they wouldn't tell me over the phone, of course. My husband was with me and we were just watching the screen when the tech said, "Oh, you have twins" I was like, OH MY GOODNESS, my husband was smiling b/c he said that he seen the second sac before the tech did. We just looked at eachother and couldn't believe it. We were soooo excited b/c ever since we've been together, we always said how we would love to have twins. :wub:

23. lareesab

lareesab Well-Known Member

QUOTE(runnergirl @ Jan 15 2009, 07:25 PM) [snapback]1148981[/snapback]
    21 weeks, 4 days at my first u/s.

It was my 1st pg, we got pg easily within a month after deciding to "not stop it". From the moment I had the positive home pg test, I told DH I was scared we'd have twins (for no reason, just my own paranoia). At every appt, when my OB checked the HB, I always asked, "are you sure there is only one?" She always said "yes, one strong HB". I was never sick, wasn't big enough to suspect twins, until we went for our 1st u/s. By 5 months pg, my "fears" of having twins had subsided, I had been reassured plenty of times that there was only one baby. So, at the u/s, as the tech is squirting goop on my belly and DH is sipping his Starbucks, we tell her we don't want to know the baby's gender. She starts the u/s and says "ok, but you know you are having twins, right?" That moment forever changed our lives...apparently I told her to "shut up" (she reminded me of this recently at a u/s for Baby #3!). Needless to say, DH had a lot to drink that night!

Obviously now, I think having twins is the most amazing thing ever!

I couldn't agree with you MORE! It is the most amazing thing I have ever experienced! :wub:

24. melissa26

melissa26 Well-Known Member

at 6 weeks.I found out really early I was pregnant.I even called the pregnancy test company because I couldn't believe I had a positive already.My first visit while drawing labs I passed out twice and have NEVER done that before.I started having spotting and went to see my dr.The nurse said that I would not be getting an ultrasound yet and right then the Dr walked in and said have you had an U/S yet?He immediatley had me go in the back for an U/S.While she was doing the ultrasound I only seen one baby.I wasn't really looking for two though.She said to go back to the room and wait for the Dr.When he came in he said well #1 your not miscarrying #2 everything looks good and #3 there is two yolk sacs.He told me not to get too excited because one could disappear and we didn't see heartbeats yet.My husband had taken the girls to the park next to the Dr. office and was waiting for me when I got out.I told him I was having twins and he about passed out.I called everyone.6 days later had another U/S and there were two heartbeats.

25. Utopia122

Utopia122 Well-Known Member

10 weeks

26. 4jsinPA

4jsinPA Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At 4w6d. I was on fertility drugs (as all my kids were) and my numbers were sky high. Before my RE put the wand in, he said he was afraid of how many there would be. Then he joked he couldn't do this now and was going to go to lunch and do the u/s when he came back. I laughed and said not to torture me. He put the wand in and I saw 3 sacs instantly and then as he moved it around I saw another but couldn't tell if it was just a change in the direction he was looking or what. He said there were 4 and only one had a yolk sac. With my history of mc (even with multiples either none or only one had ever come from them, I had a lot of blighted ovums), we didn't stress out just yet, I was just excited that one had a yolk sac and figured I would get my one healthy baby. I came back at 5w6d and he put the wand in and I saw something in each sac but couldn't tell if there was a hb yet. Then my re said "you promised me there would only be 1", and I said "how many hb's are there?" and he said "all 4 have hb's" and showed them to me. I about fell off the table...

27. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

6w2d - we had 2 sac's, one definite HB and one sac had a fetal pole and yolk sac...so the RE sent us for a regular U/S at 7w6d and confirmed 2 HBs!

28. hot2trottt4u

hot2trottt4u Well-Known Member

8 weeks
    woke up to bright red blood, i was a mess calling the dr. they told me i had to call out of work and come in asap. I called work and my husband crying. i was sure i had had a miscarrage. My husband got home (he worked third shift) and drove me to the ob's office. they did an internal exam and said "lets be hopeful" ;)
    they sent us to another facility later that day for an emergency internal ultrasound.
    i thought i knew how this day was going to turn out, boy was i wrong.
    the ultrasound tech said the words that i will never forget "do twins run in your family?"
    Turned out to be such a great day! we told all our family and it was just such an exciting and wonderful way to end the day!!

29. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

20 weeks; my first ultrasound. I didn't even have an OB! I was going to a lay midwife (they're very common and accepted here in New Mexico) and had planned a home water birth. I really wanted to know if I was having a girl or a boy so I scheduled an ultrasound just to find out. The tech knew I was having twins immediately and my DH almost fell off the chair. I had been dreaming about twins, so I was surprised and a little freaked out that my body knew and had been trying to tell me through dreams.

(needless to say, I switched to an OB and a perinatologist and didn't have a home waterbirth)

30. ssb2e

ssb2e Well-Known Member

5 weeks here! I had a positive home test and went to the Dr for a blood test. They called and told me I was definitely pregnant. They said I had hcg levels of 1067 and wanted me to come in for an ultrasound in a few days. That of course meant nothing to me, but I called my sister-in-law who is an OB in another state and she said "are you sure she didn't say 167, rather than 1067". I said no why, is that bad? She said "no, that's a great number. It just probably means you have more than one baby in there!!!" So, the ultrasound confirmed! We were very excited immediately!!

31. candctwinfactory

candctwinfactory Well-Known Member

I believe with my whole being that we got pregnant the night DH proposed, I just kind of had that feeling... Well, I was pregnant and now planning a very different wedding. Originally, my first US was planned at 18 weeks, but we were getting married at 16 weeks. I thought it would be fun to let everyone know what were where having at our reception by passing out either a blue or pink cocktail and spilling the beans. I asked, maybe fibbed a little, to get the date moved up. So I was scheduled to go in 3 days before our wedding and didn't tell anyone we were going early, I was 15 weeks 1 day.

So I get to my appointment, the last one of the day so DH could be there too, he was meeting me after work at the hospital. He was late and the tech needed to start so she started and just said she would save all the details until DH got there so we could hear them together. So she started the scan and within seconds took the wand off my belly and said she needed to share something with me first. I was a little concerned but hey, whatever. So first she started to show me the baby, "Here is the head... and the brain... and here is the heartbeat". It was just the best things I had ever seen!! Then she continued, "And over here is a head... a brain... and another heartbeat." WHAT?!? I was in total shock and couldn't even believe what she was showing me! It was right after that the DH walked in. The tech looked at me and I just told her she better show DH what she had just shown me. It was great because I was able to watch DH's face and get his reaction. He was just too excited! He asked her if he was joking and she said "No, I would lose my job for something like that." Then we learned we were having a boy and a girl. It was the best day!

But here we were, with news that was so big how were we going to keep this in for 3 days? Our wedding was just family and close friends so I had to think of friends that weren't going to the wedding to tell before I burst open. The day of the wedding, was a killer, all I could think was, “No one ask how the baby was… no one ask how the baby way” because I wouldn't be able to keep it in, so I redirected all pregnancy questions to some other topic. It was so hard, but so worth it for the reveal.

So after the wedding, we were at the restaurant for dinner and we stood up to thank everyone for coming then DH said we had a surprise for everyone, we got our ultrasound and know what we are having. My mom and sister shot me some evil looks for not even saying anything. So we took a pole of every one at the table, did they think we were having a girl or a boy? When everyone had their say and why we held up picture of both the babies and told everyone they were right. It was the best!!! My mom was tearing, my dad was tearing, my older sister was pointing and saying “I always told you you would have twins, I was so right” (which was true, she always did say that to me), and my favorite reaction was from my brother-in-law who claimed that all the flowers were making his eyes water because of allergies.

It was just good times!!!

32. CROSSTWINS

CROSSTWINS Well-Known Member

17 weeks and my first dr appointment. I took my dh with me just in case she did an ultrasound and I got my wish. We did the normal check up stuff and then she said she wanted to do the ultrasound to check for measurement and make sure of my due date matched my last missed period. So she got done measuring the one baby that she thought was in there and then she said we were just going to look around for fun. She got really quiet and kept moving the wand over my stomach back and forth. Finally she said you are having twins and I said your kidding right. She said no I don't kid about something this serious and that she made sure before she told me. I cried and was in utter sock along with my dh that was standing there holding my hand being quiet as a mouse. She printed me off some pictures that had both the babies in it and I stopped at work to show everybody. They would not have believed me without the pictures. My mother was just in shock and my oldest daughter was not very happy about it at the time. I had to go the following week and they did my level 2 ultrasounds and we found out the genders. I will never forget when we walked out my mother said well it is 2 girls atleast you won't have to worry about getting them circumcised. She knew I had been stressing about that. So that is my story. Great thread.

33. AVAS

AVAS Well-Known Member

about 28 weeks. Was planning to have home birth for 3rd pregnancy and wasn't planning on doing any US. But midwife asked if I had measured big in my previous pregnancies and VERY casually threw out the idea it could be twins. Decided to schedule that US! I never had an inkling that there were two in there. And it was truthfully hard to believe it until I actually held them in my arms.

34. TwinxesMom

TwinxesMom Well-Known Member

24 week appt & first u/s. The u/s tech had twins and we were joking around about the possiblity of twins( they run really heavy in my fam). She ran the wand up and said here baby a and here's baby b and they are both girls. My mom and Meme were with me and we all started laughing. I also went straight to bedrest

35. heatonp

heatonp Active Member

7 weeks...went in for first appt and was having NO pregnancy symptoms whatsoever. Since I had a miscarriage once before, they decided to do a quick ultrasound. As soon as I saw the screen, I knew it. I said, "is that what I think it is????". The doctor said, "yep". The other doctors in the hall thought I had miscarried because they heard me freaking out and crying/laughing. I guess I sounded pretty deranged. :) Biggest shocker of my life!