How early did you find out you were having twins?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by lareesab, Jan 13, 2009.

1. lareesab

lareesab Well-Known Member

QUOTE(with2fs @ May 5 2009, 01:37 PM) [snapback]1301329[/snapback]
    I believe with my whole being that we got pregnant the night DH proposed, I just kind of had that feeling... Well, I was pregnant and now planning a very different wedding. Originally, my first US was planned at 18 weeks, but we were getting married at 16 weeks. I thought it would be fun to let everyone know what were where having at our reception by passing out either a blue or pink cocktail and spilling the beans. I asked, maybe fibbed a little, to get the date moved up. So I was scheduled to go in 3 days before our wedding and didn't tell anyone we were going early, I was 15 weeks 1 day.

So I get to my appointment, the last one of the day so DH could be there too, he was meeting me after work at the hospital. He was late and the tech needed to start so she started and just said she would save all the details until DH got there so we could hear them together. So she started the scan and within seconds took the wand off my belly and said she needed to share something with me first. I was a little concerned but hey, whatever. So first she started to show me the baby, "Here is the head... and the brain... and here is the heartbeat". It was just the best things I had ever seen!! Then she continued, "And over here is a head... a brain... and another heartbeat." WHAT?!? I was in total shock and couldn't even believe what she was showing me! It was right after that the DH walked in. The tech looked at me and I just told her she better show DH what she had just shown me. It was great because I was able to watch DH's face and get his reaction. He was just too excited! He asked her if he was joking and she said "No, I would lose my job for something like that." Then we learned we were having a boy and a girl. It was the best day!

But here we were, with news that was so big how were we going to keep this in for 3 days? Our wedding was just family and close friends so I had to think of friends that weren't going to the wedding to tell before I burst open. The day of the wedding, was a killer, all I could think was, “No one ask how the baby was… no one ask how the baby way†because I wouldn't be able to keep it in, so I redirected all pregnancy questions to some other topic. It was so hard, but so worth it for the reveal.

So after the wedding, we were at the restaurant for dinner and we stood up to thank everyone for coming then DH said we had a surprise for everyone, we got our ultrasound and know what we are having. My mom and sister shot me some evil looks for not even saying anything. So we took a pole of every one at the table, did they think we were having a girl or a boy? When everyone had their say and why we held up picture of both the babies and told everyone they were right. It was the best!!! My mom was tearing, my dad was tearing, my older sister was pointing and saying “I always told you you would have twins, I was so right†(which was true, she always did say that to me), and my favorite reaction was from my brother-in-law who claimed that all the flowers were making his eyes water because of allergies.

It was just good times!!!

I got teary eyed reading this also, lol. Everyones stories are great! Thank you all for sharing!

2. luvmama08

luvmama08 Well-Known Member

12/13 weeks. They kept changing my date throught my pg. I had some bleeding and like everyone else was freaking out. Iwas so stressed out, since this was not a planned pregnancy. I was also in the middle of moving out of my apartment and into a house with my bf. My grandma was also very sick at the beginnig of my pregnancy. So after talking to my health care co. ( kaiser) and being told to stay at home and wait for my doc to call, since they couldnt do anything at the office or ER anyways. My stubborn side decided to drive out to the Er with my sis and wait there insted of home. I was off all day anyways and I would have gone crazy!
    We get there and they take me quickly. Put me in a room and I wait. They had the Er doc come in about an hour and half later. He starts doing the us and says it looks like everything is fine with the baby. Cool. Then... he goes, hmm?... I think there might be 2 in there? I'm gona have some one come down from OB and check it out. He ususally does us on non pregos. She comes down and confirm its 2 and tells me there is someone upstaris that just had twins, congrats! my bf had met me there and started crying saying he was so happy that everything was alright with the babies. OMG!!! my mom had always said it was my sis and my turn to have twins. Even though we have no known relatives?
    I just remember bing in shock since at my first us 3 weeks prior I had asked if there was only one. YES only one!
    The best thing was that my grandma found out while she was still responsive that I was having twins. 3 days before she passed away. :(
    They are truely a blessing!

3. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

I had my first OB appointment at 5 weeks. At first the Dr was like "what makes you think you are pregnant so early?" We were trying and I was super regular. And I just felt totally different. My OB has an ultrasound machine right there in his office and he uses it at every appointment anyway. The two saks were right smack next to each other. After I joined TS and people who were on the look out for multiples started telling their stories of the U/S techs looking around to try to find any more was when I started to suppect that they might be identical. But there are faternals in my family and then they were born looking different. But around 3 months they started to look more alike and the just kept looking more and more alike and I kept thinking back to that 5 week ultrasound picture...

4. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

We found out at 9 weeks during our first U/S. I remember the tech saying "Guys, there's two in there." I was thinking, "Well, yes, there are two ovaries in there. What is she talking about?" I guess by seeing the look of utter shock on DH's face and my look of confusion, she turned the monitor around so I could see it better and began to outline the sacks and the babies and I just sat there, quiet, and went "Oh. Two." and started my nervous, dorky laugh that I do when I'm really nervous.

5. sassafrakitty

sassafrakitty Well-Known Member

at what I thought was 12 wks I had some bleeding and went to er, dr. said I measured 16 wks and figured I was having triplets or my dates were off and he wanted to check, lol. Off to U/S. Tech did exam, turned screen around and said, well, this is what I see... and there were two little spots there, and I was only 8 wks. lol.

Dh was at work, and on duty, I made them go get him... We had a deal, 5 boys was my max, so I accused him of sneaking an extra in there... lol, yet we are now pregnant again...

Wondering this time. Had u/s at 5-1/2 wks and dr. will neither confirm nor deny the presence of twins.... Said it was too soon to tell? which has me thinking multiple sacks but no heartbeats. I go back in 8 days for another u/s

6. Chillers

Chillers Well-Known Member

I was just shy of 12 weeks.

I'd been to see the OB once before (the congratulations you're pregnant visit someone else mentioned!) and they recommended the nuchal translucency screening, which has to be done btwn 11 and 13 weeks. So we scheduled it and I was excited to get to see the little one "early" because the only other u/s would be the "big" u/s at 18-20 wks.

I had DH come with me and the tech turned to us and said "Congratulations! Do twins run in your family?" If I hadn't been laying down, I would have fallen over. I asked her if she was kidding, she must be right? Nope :) I didn't have an MD appt scheduled that day, but they were kind enough to grab one of the docs in the practice and have her come and talk to DH and me for a few minutes!

7. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

We had our first u/s at 19 weeks and that's when we found out. I saw the two heads as soon as they turned on the screen and started sobbing tears of joy. :D

8. JennaPa

JennaPa Well-Known Member

5 weeks exactly. I told DH not to come with me because he'd missed a lot of work during my IVF cycle. I only expected bloodwork. The tech put the wand in and I saw one bub right away. She was measuring and moving around. I didn't see another and thought she was done. I was pretty disappointed since my numbers were so good. She moved one more time and said, there's the other one. I was so relieved. Called DH after the appointment - I have no idea what I said to him because I was babbling and crying. We were both thrilled - we had tried for so long with so much heartache.

9. KYsweetheart

KYsweetheart Well-Known Member

I found out at 10 weeks. I was measuring about 12-13 weeks and they weren't sure why they couldn't pick up a good HB on the doppler so they scheduled a u/s the next day and thats when we saw the two sacs!

10. jewels707

jewels707 Well-Known Member

7wks. I went to ER for spotting thinking I was having a miscarriage. Twins, and a subchorionic bleed causing the spotting. Surprise!