how important are sunglasses?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by naomi02, Mar 5, 2008.

1. naomi02

naomi02 Well-Known Member

I was thinking of getting the kids sunglasses for their Easter baskets, but the ones I found with 100% uv protection were more spendy than I expected. DH doesn't seem to think they need them at this age, but we'll be spending a lot of time outside this summer. Assuming they keep them on ;) , how important is it to have sunglasses??

2. Shadyfeline

Shadyfeline Well-Known Member

We had infant sunglasses the kind that velcro around their head and regular Hot Wheels ones last year and they Never kept them on...DH is big on sunglasses because he is legally blind with light sensitivity but I wouldn't spend too much just yet they may not keep them on.

3. Twin nanny

Twin nanny Well-Known Member

I think it's good for them to wear sunglasses to protect their eyes. However I wouldn't stress if they don't want to, especially if they will wear a hat that shades their face. How much of a sunny area are you in? Perhaps you should buy some cheep ones to see how much they like them. If they keep them on then you can invest in the more expensive 100% uv protection ones.

ETA: So I did a search and apparently it is important to have their eyes protected. Children's eyes are more susceptible to damage because they haven't finished developing; Do children need sunglasses? and a quote from this website:
    Here are two good reasons. At least half of the time we will spend outdoors over our entire lifetime will occur in the first twenty years of our lives. Children play outdoors. The eyes and skin of a child are at greater risk today than ever before. Sunscreen, hats, and protective sunglasses should be worn by all children while outdoors. Skin cancer, cataracts, and macular degeneration all begin with the exposure in childhood, not adulthood. The second reason is that the retina of the eye in the child is at greater risk than the adult. That’s why children need sunglasses. The clear immature lens of a child allows up to 70 % more UVA to penetrate to the retina than the adult lens and even allows a small window of UVB to reach this delicate tissue as well.

4. FirstTimeMom814

FirstTimeMom814 Well-Known Member

I think it depends where you live. We are in TX and if the sun is out they have their glasses on. We got them at Target for a reasonable price.

5. rubyturquoise

rubyturquoise Well-Known Member

I order mine from here. It costs around $30 with the shipping to get two pair, but these really stand up to kids. They're slightly flexible, and they have no screws. Blue-eyed kids need sunglasses even more than brown-eyed kids (mine have blue eyes), in case that's relevant. Mine always wear sunglasses unless it is very dark and cloudy out. They ask for them if they don't have them.

6. Meximeli

Meximeli Well-Known Member

In terms of them keeping them on. I've found this works for sunglasses and hats too. The whole family wears them.
    As you go out, call out something like "Does everybody have their hat/sunglasses?" And everybody going out puts them on. It's just normal, just what we do. No opportunity for if Daddy/Mommy doesn't have it why do I need it.
    And once they are a little older, envolve them in the picking them out.

7. melissao

melissao Well-Known Member

Mine have always been good about wearing their hats and sunglasses b/c I've been so repetitive about it! I mostly save the sunglasses for the pool/beach and hats for anytime we're outside. I DO think the sunglasses are important! Mine are all fair and blue eyed so I worry about their eyes in the sun. Target had 100% UV baby sunglasses the last few years (the kind with the little neoprene headband) for about $8 or so...

8. celliniko

celliniko Member

Baby sunglasses is necessary especially you are going to the beach or somewhere with glare. The article of best sunglasses for kid may show you 8 important keys for a better considerations, and also take a refer to the collection of best sunglasses for baby to get the best one that fit your baby.