How is everyone?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by sscetta, Aug 16, 2012.

1. sscetta

sscetta Well-Known Member

I noticed it's pretty sliw on the board probably due to the great weather to be outdoors. My boys will be 7 months soon and I'm loving this stage. Sitting up to play but not yet mobile, this has to be the "honeymoon" phase. Both have 2 bottom teeth and I see some more white dots in there. Two teething at once is not fun.

Hope everyone is doing well. Drop a line with an update I would love to know how the LO's are doing.

2. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

My twins will be 5 months old this weekend. My daughter is rolling and pushing herself across the floor/crib/whatever in a face-down, plow-like crawl. My son has just started to roll onto his side and does not seem to be interested in moving much at all-we keep joking that we need to get him a shirt that says, "I'm fine" because he's so mellow in comparison to his sister and his older brother. Sleep is hit and miss but they sleep better than my first ever did so it's not horrible.

DS had to get a plagio helmet because he had torticollis and it went unnoticed during the crazy first two months. By the time we noticed he only laid one way, it was too late and his head was quite flat on that side. He has great range of motion now after 3 months of physical therapy and I'm hoping we'll see good results with the helmet (even though it's a pain in the rear end).

I'm not a huge fan of the baby phase. I am so done being puked on (DD still has pretty bad reflux). I am looking forward to mobility. I'm probably crazy, but I much preferred the toddler stage tot he baby phase with number 1. I don't want to rush my babies since they are my last though.

I will say that, at times, it's been as hard as I expected it was going to be, but it has also easier in many ways than I thought it would be.

3. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

My girls are 12 weeks old tomorrow. Livie is starting to try to sit up - I can feel her back muscles pulling. I am so looking forward to these two getting head control - maybe then I'll feel more comfortable tandem feeding! They are sleeping pretty good - generally only waking up once or twice with at least a 4 hour stretch of sleep each night. Sophie seems to have started teething already but it doesn't look like the teeth will pop any time soon. I fear that she's the type that teethes foreeeeeeeeeever with each set.

4. 3under2!

3under2! Well-Known Member

I am tired lol.
    My girls are really good, thank G-d. They are 7 months this week and we just had our 6 month check up today. Chana is 26.5 inches and 16+ lbs. Mushka is 27.5 inches and 17+ lbs. They are both chunkers compared to my older daughter, who at 2 is a very skinny 23 lbs. Chana is also doing the plow-crawl and commando style and I've seen her do it on hands and knees a couple of times. Mushka is not crawling yet but sometimes wants to. Chana has PT for some minor torticollis. They are both sitting pretty well and Chana has put herself into the sitting postion a couple of times! Chana's extreme irritability has calmed down somewhat (or I am just learning how to handle her better). We have an apt at an allergist at the end of September to find out once and for all what is up with this dairy/wheat thing, and then we will start solids for real. Mushka has had here and there but nothing to write home about yet. Mushka definitely also needs a T shirt that says 'I'm fine'. My SILs make fun that she is our favorite because we always talk about how perfect she is. They have yet to do more than 4 hours at night on a semi-reliable basis but we will get there one day! That's about it I think! It's hard to believe that it's more than half a year with them already!!

5. wvtwinmama

wvtwinmama Well-Known Member

My sweet little ones are 9 weeks old. I feel like every day gets easier and better. It was really tough for the first month; I had some delivery related injuries and also serious baby blues. But we hit a turning point around 5 weeks, and things have been going well since then.

They are both good nursers (took a lot of effort with my boy!) and also take bottles well, which is good since I go back to work in 3 weeks. They get mostly breast milk but also take a few formula bottles each day. I'm a little nervous about going back to work, but I know we'll figure it out.

Sleep is still tricky. They each still wake 3 times a night usually, and not always the same times, so I may be up 6 times to nurse. But they get a little better each week. I just hate to wake a sleeping baby, so I usually let them wake on their own schedule.

When did everyone else's twins start to interact? I'm really looking forward to that. Right now they'll accidentally bonk each other in the head, but that's about it, lol.

Hope everyone is doing great!!!

6. Mom2VLS

Mom2VLS Well-Known Member

My two don't really interact with each other yet (at 12 weeks) but they do catch each other's eye from time to time. The really cute thing is that for the last couple of weeks they've been trying to interact with their older sister (even though she's too distracted to care!).

7. sscetta

sscetta Well-Known Member

I'm happy to hear everyone is coping well.

Mine are almost 7 months wvtwinmams and are very aware of each other. They stare and babble or steal toys already. Some days they don't even acknowlegde each other though.

Mine also need shirts that say "I'm fine". They both are super laid back except when it comes to food, then it's serious business.

Keep up the good work

8. Nanny88

Nanny88 Well-Known Member

It is great to hear how everyone is doing. The boys are 6 month and are doing great. They love to smile and babble at each other. The scoot and roll to get where they want to but they are not crawling yet. They are doing great with feedings and they are sleeping though the night in their cribs. They do wake some but they go back to sleep on their own. They started on baby food recently so that is their new thing. Their favorite this to do it to bounce in their baby jumpers. I am working on them with sitting up and I think that is going to come very soon! I know that they wil enjoy being able to sit while they play and not have to lay down so much.

9. Amycplus

Amycplus Well-Known Member

Like many others, my boys are almost seven months and I can't believe how time has flown! They are getting big, looking so cute and engaged in the world. We are enjoying the messy adventure that is solids and I am loving making their food with fresh produce this time of year. They are almost able to sit up on their own and one of my guys is already mobile with a scoooty crawl. Our biggest challenge remains sleep but we are working on that. They still take three sleeps a day but hopefully that will be two soon. I am still waiting for them to both sleep through the night at the same time but hopefully someday... soon. Glad to know that others are doing so well!

10. mamita

mamita Well-Known Member

Hi! I haven't been on in a couple of months either! I was coming on here quite a bit during the crazy first months lol. Our twins will be 7 months old this week as well. Marisol is doing the army crawl, not quite crawling with her belly of the floor yet. She has 2 bottom teeth. Aramis, our boy, is BIG. He is 4 pounds heavier than his sister. Has no teeth yet, and can roll, but not as mobile as his sister. But he's getting there! We've been told that girls always thrive more than boys when it's boy/girl twins.

I feel the same way about this being like the "honeymoon" phase. They sleep about 10-12 hours at night, in their cribs, entertain themselves a good while, and are starting to show a lot of their own personalities. I love my babies! I look back at those first 1-3 months and OMG....how did I make it???!!! I remember everyone on here saying to enjoy it because it goes fast those newborn times, but it was hard to enjoy it when you're sooooooooo sleep deprived and handling TWO babies. It DOES get better. This has been an exciting, yet stressful at times, journey!

Also forgot to add how much they interact. They stare at each other and smile a lot. We have a large blanket on the living room floor where they roll around and "crawl" and play with their toys. A lot of times, one will take a toy out of the other's hand, or they will be kicking and be kicking the other in the face and they cry. But they do interact quite a bit. It's neat to watch them.

11. j-squared

j-squared Well-Known Member

I had to come back and post that DS cut a tooth last week--a molar of all things! I guess he needed to one-up his sister on something since she is now inchworm crawling and rolling all over the place and he still is not rolling.

Mine do interact with each other and they love the sit facing each other. DD will squeal and then DS will laugh then she'll squeal again then he'll laugh again. They alternate like that for quite a while. It's incredibly adorable.

I can't even imagine sleeping through the night... my first didn't STTN until he was almost two so in my mind we have over a year of night wakings to go! it's a mixed bag for us but usually we have 2 wake-ups a night at two very consistent times (midnight and 4:30-ish). Last night they did two 5-hour stretches each and then I had insomnia at 3:30 a.m. while they were sleeping away. Arrggh! Despite being tired and sometimes resentful of being so tired, I also am trying really hard not to mind the the night wakings because I am at work full-time and am only seeing my babies a few hours a day M-F (haha, which is maybe why it's easier than I thought it would be! ;) ). Someone almost always ends up in bed with me after the 4:30-5 a.m. wake-up and they sleep those last couple of hours very well in my bed--I only wish there was room for both of them (whoever is not in bed with me by that point, goes in the cosleeper but they do spend most of the night in their cribs). I'm trying to enjoy my middle-of-the night nursing sessions and snuggles because these are my last babies and they are getting so big so fast.

12. 3under2!

J-squared, your nights sound almost exactly like my nights! I swear, if I have twins again I'm getting a Cal-King bed!!!

13. jnelan

jnelan Well-Known Member

My girls are 4.5 months and it's hard to say how things are. I went back to work a few weeks ago (4 days a week) which has been helpful for my sanity - it is really tough being home all day with two babies! I have a lot of respect for stay-at-home parents now :) The girls are good overall, but we just spent the last week in the hospital with Lilah (and missed our vacation :() due to a bacterial infection. She was born with biliary atresia, a rare GI condition where bile cannot get out of the liver because her gall bladder and bile duct never fully formed. She had major surgery when she was 5 weeks old and had been doing well since then, but then came down with this infection 10 days ago. We were told to expect 1-2 of these in the first year, but it was still tough. The good news is that her liver continues to improve; over 60% of kids with BA end up needing a liver transplant, so we are crossing our fingers she is not one of them! Other than that, she is a pretty normal baby, though on the small side due to her condition.

Adira, the other twin, is a hoot. She is a very happy baby and has been rolling over from her back for a few weeks now. She's trying to get used to sleeping on her stomach and sometimes has trouble. Overall, I was expecting it to be harder than it is with twins - but it is still hard. Their sleeping has improved, though they still wake up twice a night on average. Part of me can't wait for this first year to be over (especially since Lilah's complications should be worst in the first year and then get better), but on the other hand they are so cute now :)

14. Tobaira

Tobaira Well-Known Member

I think my girls skipped the honeymoon phase! We hit 8 mos yesterday (6 mos adjusted). They are sleeping through the night off and on.. usually we only have to get up twice on the off nights to stick in a pacifier or extricate limbs from the crib bars. Cassandra is scooting backwards now and likes to get up on all fours and rock. Both girls are able to sit on their own for short periods of time. We had to cut back on solids because the doc wanted them to take mire formula although they still don't seem to take as much as she wants them to, but they are still growing ok so.. Heather has been extra fussy lately and needs tons of attention which has been very tiring. I'm on meds and in therapy for PPD which seems to be helping. The girls do notice each other but never at the same time it seems lol.

15. daisies

daisies Well-Known Member

Hi! this is my first time posting. I was so excited to find this forum. I am a first time mom to 7 month old b/g twins (5 1/5 months adjusted age). Our kids came to us through adoption. What an amazing experience it has been having twins. I love the way they interact with each other. With adoption it is even more special that they have each other.
    My DD is rolling and scooting all over the place! My DS is a much more laid back baby.. (well, now that his acid reflux is under control). He rolls front to back but then seems happy to just be there. Was happy to hear other twins are very different in development.
    The hardest part for me has been how difficult it is to get out of the house. Does that get easier? What is the most difficult age for getting out?
    Well they are up! gotta go. (Sometimes) I can't wait for them to get up from their nap!
    This is such a fun age.
    Really, really glad to have found this group.. It is so great how supportive everyone is and such a wealth of information!

16. 3under2!

Welcome to TS! I love it here too! Your kiddos have the same birthday as my girls, except they were 4 weeks early, not 6. So fun!!

It still hasn't gotten any easier to leave the house, but I've gotten faster at it ;)