How is this kid going to survive to be a teenager?!

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by Leighann, May 13, 2010.

1. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

We had quite the scare this morning with Ana. The girls were jumping on the couch (something they are not allowed to do and get time outs for), and apparently Ana jumped off and smashed her face into the ottoman (I thought it was the wood part of our bay window, but thankfully she missed that by inches).

I had just left for work, DH was in the kitchen (two rooms away from the living room), when he heard the crash and scream. He called me right away and said "Come back home. She is ok, but I don't know." (with the accompanying screaming in the background). So I turned right around and when I got there, poor Ana was still screaming, had a huge scrape on the bridge of her nose and it was already quite swollen. After a call to the pedi she said it sounds like its just going to be swollen, bruised and she'll probably get double black eyes, but its probably not broken (because she didn't lose consciousness and she let us touch her nose).

The thing is Meara is my dare devil girl who actually has great balance and coordination. Ana unfortunately inherited my coordination and when she tries to do the things her sister does, she ends up hurt. While this was a good 'teachable moment' for both of them, I wish it wasn't always Ana getting hurt for these. I have a couple new grey hairs from this morning's antics.

2. becasquared

becasquared Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Poor poor baby (and mom and dad). I hope that both learn to not jump on the couch.

ETA: Don't forget to take pictures!! :wine:

3. Leighann

Oh I'm going to take picture, blow them up and print them to hang around the house as a visual cautionary reminder for what happens when you throw yourself off of the furniture! Is 10am too early for :wine: ?! :laughing:

4. becasquared

Never. It's 5:00 somewhere. Actually it's 5:27 somewhere!

5. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

DH often shows our girls the scar on his forehead from when he (at age 3) did a Superfly off his grandmother's TV (the big old wooden kind) onto her coffee table. Fortunately neither of my kids are daredevils by nature anyway, but that definitely makes an impression.

Amy does hit her head a lot. I keep thinking she'll grow out of it, but it just seems to come & go. At one point I started joking that her head just "sticks out and runs into things" but then she started getting self-conscious about it and wailing "I don't want my head to stick out!" So now I just go "there, there" and provide ice packs as necessary. :pardon:

6. becasquared

I'm so tall, I keep hitting my kids' heads on things. Like the roof of the van. I smacked Alice's head hard on the overhead bin on the plane a few months ago. Oops.

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

I'm not tall at all, but I do that sometimes too when I'm getting them into their carseats. (And yes, my 4.5-year-olds still sometimes want to be lifted into their carseats -- or they dawdle so much that I just grab them and haul them in. :rolleyes: Oof.)

8. ldrane

ldrane Well-Known Member

Glad she is OK. I sure hope she doesn't get black eyes....poor thing!

Me too...not tall out all, but poor Coop...his noggin has gotten it more than once putting him in the car. :blush:

9. becasquared

:blush: I do it every time for both of them. I'm too tall, they're too long. You think I'd have learned.

10. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Awww, poor thing and poor you and DH. Kids can be so tough though sometimes. Gabe just got his 3rd set of stitches (well 2nd set and he's had his forehead glued once) in 9 months. This kid is going to give me a heart attack. I hope she's doing ok now.

11. twins2008

twins2008 Well-Known Member

Oh no, what a way to start the day. i hope she is doing ok :hug:.

Jen

12. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

Poor sweetheart! I am glad she is okay. :hug: to her and you & DH!
    I think my son inherited my coordination challenged skills. Poor kid!

13. Brizzy_Twins

Brizzy_Twins Well-Known Member

Oh No! Im so sorry. I hope she is doing okay now. :hug: to you all

14. Leighann

Thanks everyone for the hugs and well wishes. She is doing much better today, but her face still looks terrible. Huge 'rug burn' on the bridge of her nose and she has dark circles around her eyes. But she says it doesn't hurt that much anyone and its not slowing her down at all. This morning she woke up and immediately went to the 'scene of the crime' and said I don't think I'll jump off the couch anymore. I think she may have finally learned... ah natural consequences.

1 person likes this.
  15. becasquared

You never posted pictures! :p

16. Leighann

DH took a bunch. I'll ask him to download from the camera and I'll post some. It looks much better now, but its still kind of green between her eyes and blue green under one eye. Poor kid. :vava: