How late would you fly?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by emp59, Oct 9, 2012.

1. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

My husband just got word that we are supposed to be back in the states on April 1st. That date doesn't really work for me since the baby is due the 9th of March and we are to expect 4-6 weeks after birth for the passport to come in and then we get our flight. So I have to head back early. My question is, how early? I've read about airline restrictions and don't really see anything for international travel except to try to fly before 36 weeks. I was thinking that I might be more comfortable flying back between 32-34 since I will be flying alone with my 3 year olds and 75lb dog. I'm going to talk to my doctor, but the language barrier is always difficult. What do you ladies think? My husband wants me to leave whenever I am comfortable so he is fine with whatever I decide.

2. ljcrochet

ljcrochet Well-Known Member TS Moderator

What a tough situation to be in. When you move back to the states are you going to be near family? Unless you are moving where you know a doctor, you are going to have to get familiar with a whole new ob/gyn to deliver the new baby.

Good luck.

3. Trishandthegirls

Trishandthegirls Well-Known Member

I would try to fly around 32 weeks so you have time to settle in and meet a new doctor/midwife prior to delivery. Also, the earlier you fly, the easier it is on you. An international flight with two small kids is difficult, much less while heavily pregnant. My cousin is pregnant right now with her first child and her military doctor told her that she shouldn't fly after 34 weeks even domestically. So I'd try to back it up a few weeks for a long international flight.

Good luck with your move!

4. Danibell

Danibell Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I would also be safe and aim for 30-32 weeks, my dr said no flying once I hit the third trimester when i was pregnant with my first baby.

5. KCMichigan

KCMichigan Well-Known Member

I would start contacting Dr stateside where you will be moving and ask them/get suggestions.

My sister is 33 weeks and she is not allowed to fly any longer domestically. She does not have complications, but she is measuring big so her Dr wants her close to home.

I would see if someone could fly back/forth with you , kids, dog, etc. It will be worth the extra set of hands and piece of mind!

Hope it all goes smoothly!

6. monie rose

monie rose Well-Known Member

I agree contact a doctor in the area you will be moving to and ask what they suggest and going at 30 weeks seems like a very good idea.

7. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

If you are American, you can get a passport in one day for the baby. As long as you have the local birth certificate, the passport won't take 4-6 weeks. Check with your local Embassy or Consulate.

I flew all over the place when I was pregnant. The longest flight was from Eastern Europe to the Midwest in the 5th month. The shortest was from the Southwest to the Midwest at 34 weeks. I'd be more concerned about juggling the kids and dog by myself. I'd rather have the baby and let DH wrangle the older kids and canines while I took care of the baby. Most newborns are amazing fliers. Ours flew at 7 weeks without a peep at all.

8. emp59

emp59 Well-Known Member

Because we are a military family living in Europe we aren't authorized to obtain passports through the consulate. We have to go through the military. They even say to expect 8-12 weeks. It's not fun!

9. Mellizos

Mellizos Well-Known Member

That's probably true for the official passport (if you have them) but for a regular, tourist passport. Meaning, if you take the local birth certificate to the Consulate, they are not going to turn you away for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad and then a regular, tourist passport. I can't see how their is a regulation that you can only apply for the CRBA through the military. I am actually a consular officer and process CRBAs, passports, visas, etc. In your position, I would write the Consulate directly and ask how quickly you could get the CRBA and tourist passport to fly the baby home. The passport can be issued in a few hours. The CRBA might take a week to get printed and delivered to you.

10. bela374

bela374 New Member

The earlier you fly, the easier it is on you. An international flight with two small kids is difficult, much less while heavily pregnant.