How long do you let them play by themselves?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by hsuter, Apr 29, 2009.

1. hsuter

hsuter Well-Known Member

Just curious as to how long you let your LO's play by themselves. Mine could honestly play by themselves all day, but of course I love to play/interact with them too.

2. piccologirl

piccologirl Well-Known Member

you're lucky, mine won't let me leave the room! sudden onset separation anxiety, apparently. :rolleyes:

3. Rach28

Rach28 Well-Known Member

I can leave them for 20-30 mins (in the playpen) if Im lucky but I have to check on them regularly as DS is mobile and sometimes squashes DD!

4. Lizzybo

Lizzybo Well-Known Member

About 20-30 minutes at a time here, too. We feed them on a schedule, they take naps when they need them (which is pretty much scheduled) and play in between. When they get fussy or bored on their own I get down on the mat and play with them. We also go for walks, run errands, participate in the library infant program...

5. Queen of Carrots

Queen of Carrots Well-Known Member

With two preschoolers, too, I only intervene if someone is screaming. :pardon: They're all very good at occupying themselves, generally.

6. Halseyse

Halseyse Well-Known Member

Mine will play together [or by themselves] very well for maybe 20-30 mins at a time. I check on them regularly though and interveine if someone falls and screams, if they're fighting over a toy, or if they're getting into something they shouldn't [which happens mostly when they're together, lol]

7. tiff12080

tiff12080 Well-Known Member

I let mine play alone as long as they're happy, which is no more than 30 minutes.

8. becky5

becky5 Guest

As long as they were happy! :)

9. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

QUOTE(becky5 @ Apr 29 2009, 08:44 PM) [snapback]1294180[/snapback]

Same here! If they were in exersaucers or jumperoo, I would rotate them to the playmat after about 15 mins. Floor time though was until they cried.

10. maybell

maybell Well-Known Member

we have a "baby jail"... or rather a large gated play area with lots of table toys and other toys in a basket. The babies can entertain each other and themselves for a long time. I am very blessed that they aren't clingy (yet)... of course its fun to lay down and let them crawl all over me too. but by themselves, they will be good for 30+ minutes by themselves. And I let them play as long as they are good.

11. mytwins2

mytwins2 Well-Known Member

we let them play together as long as they can before they start fighting over a toy. Not long though because Morgan is very aggressive and she snatches EVERYTHING Hunter has away from him. She's mobile and he's not so he can't chase after her. So it's usually about 10 mins before we have to interven. She doesn't play nice or fair and we've already started putting her in the playpen by herself to "reflect' on her behavior! Most of the time though, they are both very clingy and want to be held ALL THE TIME!

12. Mum2TwinBoys

Mum2TwinBoys Well-Known Member

If they are happy I don't mess with them.

13. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

QUOTE(becky5 @ Apr 29 2009, 06:44 PM) [snapback]1294180[/snapback]

same here - which is almost all of the time. we have an open floor plan though, so even if i'm in the kitchen cooking or whatever they can still see me. if i'm completely out of sight, they're really only good until they realize i'm gone. :rolleyes: i do try & get down & spend some time on their level every awake period though. it's getting more fun now because they're really starting to explore & discover things - it's amazing to watch.

14. Erineliza

Erineliza Well-Known Member

I have two rooms gated of with lots of toys. I am always in one of the rooms or in the kitchen on the other side of the gates. I let them play on their own until they are tired of it or come to me to play. Usually they play on their own for about 30-45 minutes. I always am checking on them or talking to them, commenting on what they are doing etc.- but not necessarily on the floor "engaged" in exactly what they are playing with.

15. christie76

christie76 Well-Known Member

As long as they aren't screaming at me. Well, sometimes I let them scream too:) They have really bad separation anxiety right now. They don't even want me to sit on the couch if they are on the floor. There are times that they will play nicely by themselves, and I let them play as long as they will. It never lasts long. Once they see me, it's over.