How long do you let them play independently?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by babymOmmax2, Apr 16, 2009.

1. babymOmmax2

babymOmmax2 Well-Known Member

I ask this because sometimes I feel so bad for leaving them downstairs for long periods of time, but they seem fine with it! I can usually let them play unsupervised (living room is blocked off & completely proofed) for 1.5-2 hours at a time. I always pop my head down the stairs to make sure their not getting in any trouble, but sometimes that's it. I guess I'm lucky for the time being that their not so clingy, so I guess you can say I'm enjoying it while it lasts!

2. Callen

Callen Well-Known Member

I would let them play for as long as they liked @ that age, but not out of my sight.

I have found things can happen to fast and things you could never have imagined.

3. Andi German

Andi German Well-Known Member

For as long as they will!

4. MNTwinSquared

MNTwinSquared Well-Known Member

Yep, as long as no one is getting hurt or upset, I love to encourage independent play. Kept my sanity at least!

5. 2betterthan1

2betterthan1 Well-Known Member

The boys are always in earshot, just so I can hear screams or whatever. They are pretty much the same way. very easy going boys that love to play by themselves.

I also pop my head in quite often.

Shannon

6. twinmuffin

twinmuffin Well-Known Member

As long as they will, so usually for me that means 10 minutes. But if they were playing happily in their rooms for an hour I would let them.

7. Minette

Minette Well-Known Member

Mine would never play independently for more than 10 minutes at that age, so count yourself lucky! I think it probably helps that they're in an area where they can't see you. Our house is all open plan (and small), so I was in the same room with them unless I shut myself in a bathroom or bedroom (in which case they would inevitably come track me down). OTOH, I do agree with PP that no matter how safe you think the area is, there will be things there that they can make a mess or hurt themselves with (unless it's an empty room with padded walls and floor :D ). So I'd check on them visually every 15-20 minutes or so.

8. AimeeThomp

AimeeThomp Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I let them play independently for as long as they are willing to do it. Sometimes they play in their room and sometimes I let them play on the back porch while I make something to eat. I just leave the door open and put some music on and they dance and run in and out of the house.

9. Fran27

Fran27 Well-Known Member

Same as you, 1.5-2 hours sometimes, usually 1... If I was with them in the room it would totally not work though!

10. Leighann

Leighann Well-Known Member

As long as they want to. I sometimes sit in the kitchen with the laptop while they play in the den (right in the next room over- and kind of connected). Some days they play so nicely together for an hour at a time, some days they can't go 1 minute without fighting over something.

11. happychck

happychck Well-Known Member

in the mornings mine can last up to 40 minutes or so, but i can always see them (or hear them well and take a few steps to see them--they are in the living room). i never have them out of my site for more than a few minutes, though-- i'm always checking. and if they get quiet--i go running in, cuz that's never good;).

if someone is visable they'll play even longer.... but at clingy periods (most of the rest of the day) they''ll only last a few minutes...... ones yelping for me now, gotta go!

12. twinboys07

twinboys07 Well-Known Member

As long as they will happily do it! I don't even remember what that's like right now, as both of my boys have been attached to me for weeks due to one illness after another! :crazy: Independent play: something very good to look forward to!! ;)

13. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

I will let them play alone as long as they want to. Everything we need is on our main floor except for the bathroom, so I can supervise them the whole time (unless I have to change my diaper, that what's tell the kids when I need a potty break).