How long do you let them sleep without feeding?

Discussion in 'The First Year' started by mes_00, Dec 12, 2009.

1. mes_00

mes_00 Well-Known Member

Our kids scared the bejeebers out of us one day. We realized they slept right through the night. I had been up to pump and check them. The husband had to get acid reducers and checked then.

How long have you let a 4 month old sleep without feeding? I think they would keep sleeping if I let them. Instead I make sure I wake to give them a bottle at either 1 or 2 am if they don't demand it.

During the day Sam will take 5-7 oz every 4hrs and Jack will eat 6-8 oz and sometimes more.
    At night they will take the same when I feed them.

2. Gigantor

Gigantor Well-Known Member

Call me crazy, but I let them sleep as long as they want. My boys eat almost the amount they need during the day, so if they want to go longer stretches at night, I let them. On the other hand I do wake them during the day.

3. AmberG

AmberG Well-Known Member

At that age you should be able to let them sleep as long as they want to sleep. No need to wake them, day or night. Enjoy the sleep! At that age mine were sleeping 7-8 hour stretches at night.

4. rhc0607

rhc0607 Well-Known Member

Mine take their last bottle at 7-7:30p and are in bed about 8p. They sleep until 7-7:30a without waking in the night. I would let them sleep as long as they want during the night.

5. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

Unless there is some major concern about their weight, I say let them sleep! Ella and Milo were sleeping through the night at about 6 weeks. Lia was sleeping through the night at about 4 months, took Colin just a little longer. YOU need your rest too! You have to admit to feeling better with some sleep, right?

I remember the first time Ella slept through the night at 6 weeks. After SIX weeks of colic and her up SCREAMING ALL NIGHT, it freaked me out! I actually sat outside her bedroom door listening to her breath all night that first night, lol! It's ok.

6. MarchI

MarchI Well-Known Member

I agree with all the PP after mine hit 10lbs, I let them sleep as much as they like. They will wake at night if they need to eat. If they aren't waking, don't wake them.

7. mes_00

mes_00 Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for the replys!

They were sent home early so we still are in the habit of around the clock feedings. Ours would have been feeder and growers, but my husband got 3 months off to help me.
    Guess that I worked 12hr shifts and 60hr weeks has come in handy with kids!

We'll start giving them more time to sleep. Most of the time it's just they eat if there's bottle near them. LOL They will sleep right through the feeding.

8. meganguttman

meganguttman Well-Known Member

My boys were grower/feedings in the NICU for a month so we waited until the doc said it was okay to not wake them up at night to eat. It was about 4 months when we wouldn't wake them up, but they still woke themselves to eat twice a night. I think you are doing great!

9. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

At 4 months, if they have no growth or feeding issues, I wouldn't wake them & would just let them sleep however long they slept. And enjoy it!

10. jromkey

jromkey Well-Known Member

My girls starting STTN (5-7 hrs) at about 2 months old. I freaked out the first time it happened but now I am pretty cool with it!! :ibiggrin: They are almost 3 months old and continuing to sleep longer. If I were you I would just go with it!

11. ourtwopeas

ourtwopeas Well-Known Member

I'M JEALOUS! We stopped waking them to feed at around 6 weeks- but ours still wake every 3-4 hours anyway so it is not an issue.

12. danabd

danabd Well-Known Member

Oh no no no!! Let them sleep. By this age if they can sleep through the night, let them! My DD has been sleeping through the night since about 3.5 months and DS gets up at 4 am still-If they were 3 months or younger, I would wake them but not at 4 months. Let them sleep this is the time when you want this to happen as thy prepare to start being up more during the day and you guide them towards two daily naps. Go Get some sleep momma!

13. rrodman

rrodman Well-Known Member

Unless your doctor instructs you otherwise, let them sleep as long as they will sleep overnight! I stopped waking mine at night when they were 2 weeks and hit their birth weight again - per my doctor's instructions. I know there are different instructions with preemies.