How long should the babies be kept away from other kids and adults?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Help' started by AngelKLP13, Nov 12, 2008.

1. AngelKLP13

AngelKLP13 Well-Known Member

I was wondering about this. I know siblings are an exception but like little cousins, friends children etc? How long do you keep the babies away from other children? I will be 36 wks December 15th so if they are here before Christmas Family members have been asking if we will attend our family's big Christmas Eve party and Christmas Day dinner ( a big tradition) DH and I are skeptical about going since they would be so teeny and vulnerable. What will you ladies be doing who are expecting around Christmas Holidays?

2. Joanna416

Joanna416 Well-Known Member

I think it really depends - if there are no health issues with the twins and people can respect the "distance" rule, I would go to your family Christmas...
    WIth my daughter, I was a big proponent of getting her out sooner rather than later and I had her around people and places by the time she was 2 weeks old. She never had any problems, but that was just my thing to do.

3. twoplustwo

twoplustwo Well-Known Member

I've never kept my babies away from others. Now I didn't let kids touch the babies but they can look and touch toes. I brought my babies to the mall to do my x-mas shoping when they were 2 weeks old. Dh and I just carried them so people wouldn't touch them. I went into build a bear and the lady thought I was carrying a doll and actually screamed when dd moved. She was smaller than most of the bears in there. It was very funny.

I think if your babies are premature that's a whole other issue. My twins were born at 36W. Having older siblings that go to school etc they will automatically be exposed to more since kids always bring stuff home from school/daycare etc.

4. AmynTony

AmynTony Well-Known Member

I delivered at 36w a week before mothers day and went out to dinner with them (we were all discharged on Saturday and went out on Sunday) but they had no issues at all...I'm not a big germaphobe though either...I'd go! You'll have lots of adults around to help out and also to reign in the kiddos...

5. hrichards

hrichards Well-Known Member

My girls were born in February, so not around holidaytime, but their NICU (they were feeders and growers for 7 days) ped specifically said, DO NOT TAKE THEM OUT of the house except for dr. appnts. for three months. No grocery store, no malls nothing. So thats what I did. We didn't have a lot of people over until they were about 4 weeks too, besides grandparents and my sis. My girls were also a month early.
    I thik it would depend on your preference, or what your doctor says.

6. Gabe+2more

Gabe+2more Well-Known Member

I think it depends on when they are born and on their health at that time. My girls weren't born until after Christmas, so that wasn't an issue. They were also born at 37.5 weeks, healthy and we had no restrictions upon leaving the hospital.

7. bkpjlp

bkpjlp Well-Known Member

I think you'll have to go with your gut. Unfortunately X-mas is prime cold & flu season. If it was my family, I would hands down go. If it was the ILs, I would make every excuse to get out of it. Not just that I don't enjoy my ILs, but they're ALWAYS sick.

8. sullivanre

sullivanre Well-Known Member

It also makes a difference if you breastfeed them. Breastfed babies getting some immunity from their mother's milk, which can help protect them from colds, etc. It's not 100%, but it does make a significant difference.

I had healthy full term breastfed babies, and I waited about 1 month before I took them to germy places, like malls, but I did let them go around relatives. We also used the you can touch feet, but not the face rule for kids.

9. mollyjm

mollyjm Well-Known Member

OK, so maybe Im the odd ball, but....
    I breast feed, had full term babies with no problems. I would not take them out for 4-6 wks (except for drs or my moms house with no other company at my moms house). I limited the company in my home to a few healthy adults and everyone that came into my home washed their hands before they did anything. Even after 6 wks I limited their exposure, for example, no one touched babies without washing or santizing hands and during cold/flew season I avoided large groups especially if lots of kids attending. The first few months of life or short, just like being pregnant it passes, but getting very sick could lead to a life time regret. Even with breast feeding they are still building an immune system (remember they are born with zero immune converage). If you really need to go, I would suggest some type of snugle carrier so the babies could stay attached to you guys and all you need to tell people is they are sleeping. I would even try to leave early. I know it sucks, but just imagine being up all night with a very upset sick baby (TWO! eeck) or even worse, taking a trip to the er.

10. Ali M

Ali M Well-Known Member

It totally depends on the health of the babies and your own comfort levels. Personally, I wouldn't skip the party but , like a pp said, I'm not a germophobe. I have always made people wash their hands before holding the babies and noone can hold them if they've been sick in the last week though. I also carry Purell. With a few simple precautions, a healthy baby should be fine at a Christmas party.

If you have a sling, putting a baby in that will also keep them away from people.

11. korie99

korie99 Well-Known Member

Mine were born on Dec 17th via c-section and, needless to say, we opted out of the Christmas festivities that year! It was bitter cold out, and I was still recovering from major surgery. Our immediate family did come to our house though on Christmas Day.

For me it wasn't so much germs I was afraid of, but the fact that we had just gotten home and I wasn't feeling up to heading out with them. It took me a couple weeks to really feel better after my c-section and the sleep deprivation didn't help! But then, mine are almost 4 now and the thought of Christmas visiting STILL exhausts me! :lol:

12. ANGELA SHAW

ANGELA SHAW Well-Known Member

as long as they are health, i would go, have a great christmas,
    at the hospital they have hand sterilizing stations set up everywhere, well you can buy the same stuff, anyone that ask's to see the babys or hold them ask them to use this first, it only takes a second to rub on your hands and dry, this stuff is also perfect for those diaper changes were you arnt in a place to wash your hands or when there is runny noses, i think its called hand sanitizer,