How long with a fever is too long?

Discussion in 'The Toddler Years(1-3)' started by twinsnowwhat, Feb 20, 2010.

1. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

I will try and make this short. Starting back almost 2 weeks ago, I got sick, thought it was something I ate. We immediately took the kids to my parents cuz I could not be home alone with them and DH had to work, for me it lasted about 24 hours. Then DH got it about a day later and his lasted longer maybe 3-5 days off and on. We thought the boys escaped it since they didn’t show any signs. Then last week it appears Gma and Gpa got it. Whatever it is – some sort of flu bug. Both boys came down with yet another cold earlier this week and now Gavin has had a fever since probably late Thursday. I called the doc today and she said we are doing all we can and if it goes over 103 take him to the ER. He is on Tylenol constantly and with that he still ranges between 100-102. For the most part he is doing ok, very clingy, wants to cuddle or be held and a bit whiny at times but still playing some and eating and drinking. Although tonight DH gave him a taste of a sauce he was making and he immediately started gagging and threw up. So we have been keeping his foods pretty bland and just glad his still wants to eat something, even if it is just ritz crackers. If this doesn’t pass by Monday I will certainly get him in, but should I be concerned now? I am also super worried his fever could spike while we are sleeping and I wont know it.

2. Kyrstyn

Kyrstyn Well-Known Member

Our pedi told us that they need to be seen if the fever persists longer than 72 hours, unless the fever is above 104 (and does not come down with Tylenol/Motrin) then they need to be seen immediately. We were told that a low grade fever is actually beneficial because it is killing the bug.

Does he seem like he is hydrated? Having wet diapers?

Does your Dr's office have a 24 hour nurses line that you can call and find out what your particular pediatricians guidelines are for this kind of situation?

Poor little Guy!! I hope he feels better soon! :hug:

3. tinalb

tinalb Well-Known Member TS Moderator

My doctor's advice is the same as Kyrstyn's. A fever lasting more than 3 days needs to be seen (according to my doctor). Make sure he's getting plenty of fluids & having plenty of wet diapers. Other than that, I would just watch for any new symptoms. Also, I've found that ibuprofen will often bring a fever down better than Tylenol & usually keeps it down longer, so it's great for overnight. I hope he feels better soon! :hug:

4. MLH

MLH Well-Known Member

Ditto this. As long as he's having wet diapers, he should be ok. But if he's till got a fever Mon. I'd give them a call and get him checked out. We do ibuprofen too. It just seems to work better for us. I hoep he feels better soon.

5. nateandbrig

nateandbrig Well-Known Member

:hug: We use motrin as well. I agree with the pp, if it stays under 102 then I would wait till Monday. As long as he has wet diapers and is drinking plenty of fluids.
    I hope he's feeling better soon!

6. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

we were told a persistent fever that can't be lowered with medication that lasts for 5 days needs to be seen. or a fever measured over 105 two times over an hour apart. :unknw:

another tip i've heard to help lower a stubborn fever is to alternate acetaminophen (tylenol) & ibuprofen (motrin/advil) every three hours. more info

also, i wouldn't worry about the drop in appetite - perfectly normal! you just want to make sure he's getting lots of fluids and having regular wet diapers.

i hope he feels better soon! :hug:

7. SMax

SMax Well-Known Member

Another vote for ibuprofen...it does a much better job for us, too!

DS woke last week at 12am scorching hot...he was crying/moaning which wasn't characteristic of his nighttime noises. His rectal temp was 103.7 and we finally got it to come down with Motrin (4 hours after the middle-of-the-night Tylenol decision).

Previous to this, he had been congested for about two weeks...turns out it led to an ear infection with a perforated eardrum. Lovely.

Just a thought if your little one has been fighting a cold for awhile...those ear infections always pop up after the cold has passed!

Hopefully he will feel better soon...if you have the option, I would definitely call the 24-hour line if you feel nervous at all.

Hang in there :hug: :hug:

8. miss_bossy18

miss_bossy18 Well-Known Member TS Moderator

yup - this just happened to Riley too. she was recovering from a bad cold when she woke up & suddenly had a fever - we took her to the doc & sure enough she had an ear infection. he explained that it has to do with the fluid build up in the ear canal that happens when you're congested. babies & toddlers aren't able to equalize things as well as older kids/adults & that makes for a very happy place for bacteria. :wacko:

9. ktfan

ktfan Well-Known Member

Just wanted to give a thumbs up to the Motrin and the possible ear infection. Starting an illness THEN a fever a few days later is a hallmark sign of an ear infection. Hope everyone feels better soon!

10. kingeomer

kingeomer Well-Known Member TS Moderator

You've gotten a lot of great advice in here already, I just wanted to add I hope that your little guy feels better soon :hug:

11. vharrison1969

vharrison1969 Well-Known Member

Ditto to all of the great advice you've already gotten. I can't add anything more except to say I hope Gavin feels better soon! :hug:

12. twinsnowwhat

twinsnowwhat Well-Known Member

Thank you ladies - I started Motrin last evening hoping that it would last longer. He woke around midnight and it seemed the fever had broke and by that time most of the Motrin would have worn off. He is a little warm this morning but not too bad. Thanks for all your great advice!